Help - Slow boot

Post by Georg » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:21:10

Win XP Home with SP1 -- working fine until last week
when  startup (boot) began taking an excessive time.  The
sequence is 1) the XP Home splash screen with copyright
notice comes up for a few seconds then, 2) the screen
goes black for 1 minute/10 seconds then, 3) the system
completes the boot process.  It acts the same way on cold
start or restart.

Does anyone have an idea on fixing that black scree
delay ???

Help - Slow boot

Post by Maurice » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:37:12

> Win XP Home with SP1 -- working fine until last week
> when  startup (boot) began taking an excessive time.  The
> sequence is 1) the XP Home splash screen with copyright
> notice comes up for a few seconds then, 2) the screen
> goes black for 1 minute/10 seconds then, 3) the system
> completes the boot process.  It acts the same way on cold
> start or restart.

> Does anyone have an idea on fixing that black scree
> delay ???

Be patient the first few days after setup of Service Pack 1.
Be very aware of all of your user startup programs, as per MSCONFIG / Startup Tab.

At a convenient time, when you have plenty of time,
you need to (a) close all user programs, including antivirus, then (b) run a Disk Defrag.
Then another in four days and another a week later.

Over time you will see the o.s. snap back 'faster'.   Allow you pc extra idle time.
XP-SP1  needs to rebuild the Prefetch files.  It will go faster as the days progress.
--
Maurice N
MVP  Windows - Shell / User

Help - Slow boot

Post by Rocky To » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 04:23:56

This post helped me too, as I was wondering if turning all start up programs
to do Defrag would be better than just running it(Defrag) with everything
on.
Barb

Post by Coli » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 06:21:17

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Win XP Home with SP1 -- working fine until last week
>when  startup (boot) began taking an excessive time.  The
>sequence is 1) the XP Home splash screen with copyright
>notice comes up for a few seconds then, 2) the screen
>goes black for 1 minute/10 seconds then, 3) the system
>completes the boot process.  It acts the same way on cold
>start or restart.

>Does anyone have an idea on fixing that black scree
>delay ???
>.
>Configure your settings in startup and recovery found

under system in the control panel. Make sure you have fast
detect enabled and make sure you reduce the time that it
takes to display options. good luck.

1. HELP: Slow boot-up after power supply replacement

The power supply recently burned out on my PC and ever since boot-up hangs
for 2 - 3 minutes at the Intel motherboard splash then another 1 -2 minutes
black screen before Windows loads.  If I unplug everything except KB/mouse
it boots normally.  The hang seems to be either/or my USB external HD or
bluetooth KB/mouse combo.
Should I take the PC nack to the shop for diagnostics or try reinstalling
Windows?   Is it possible something fried?

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

2. System Restore

3. HELP SLOW BOOT !!!

4. IE6 opening page. I NEED HELP!!!!

5. Slow, Slow-Slow, Slow, Slow Shut Down!

6. What Plafform for developement?

7. slow installation/slow boot

8. Remote Desktop & Firewalls

9. super slow boot and super slow shutdown

10. Use MS BOOTVIS to overcomer Slow Boot, Slow recovery from Hibernation/Stanby

11. super slow boot and super slow shutdown

12. comp boots slow and runs slow