"Add/Remove Windows components" give "Copy Error"

"Add/Remove Windows components" give "Copy Error"

Post by Jason Melanco » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:45:12

I want to install fax support in my new Windows XP Pro, and uninstall
MSN, which I haven't set up and don't plan on using.  I go to
Add/Remove Windows components, check/uncheck seemingly *anything at
all*, and click next, and the progress bar gets half way and gives an
error.  It says "Setup cannot copy the file" foo.  The Official
Windows XP CD-ROM is exactly where the dialog wants it to be, and the
file is indeed there.  I can copy the file to a hard drive directory,
redirect the error dialog to the hard drive copy I just made, and it
still gives the same error.

One strange thing I notice is that, if I select "browse," and it shows
the directory it's currently looking in, there's a greyed-out dropdown
for "files of type:".  In this dropdown, the filename appears twice,
like so:  "Files of type: zClientm.ex_;zClientm.ex_"

I have the sinking feeling that I caused this.  I wanted to relocate
my CD-ROM drives out of the way of my hard drives so that, when I add
hard drives, the CD-ROM drive letters aren't forever getting
reassigned.  So I did that within windows via the Disk Management
screen from the Control Panel.  I then used Partition Magic's
DriveMapper tool to replace references to the old D: drive with Q:,
the CD-ROM drive's new location.  I told it to let me review the
changes, and I noticed a bunch of INF files it wanted to change.  Then
I told it to go ahead.

Anyway, how can I fix the problem?

--
Jason Melancon

--
Jason Melancon

1. wmp copy to cd """ error """

 http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#xpcdburn
may help.  That error sounds like your CD burner isn't compatible with
WMP...

See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
Mail to this account will bounce - use the newsgroups.
Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.
--

2. Visual C++: resource DLL as dependent subproject

3. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

4. WindowsXP Plus!

5. No "Change/Remove" button on "Add/Remove Software"

6. AMD Athlon XP 2400+

7. "Change/Remove" button does not display in "Add/Remove" Programs

8. XML data binding in IE/CE.Net

9. "My Computer", "Control Panel", and "Trash Bin" error.

10. can't access "windows explorer" , "my computer", "control panel"

11. WANTED """ NT 3.51 Training Videos """" WANTED

12. "My Documents" folder & "Add/Remove Programs" missing!

13. "New Message", "Send Page" & "Send a Link" from IE6