How to Dual boot Windows XP, RedHat Linux from XP boot manager for newbe

How to Dual boot Windows XP, RedHat Linux from XP boot manager for newbe

Post by Thomas Fray » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:39:34

I have been running Windows XP for nearly a year, but have just
installed Redhat Linux 7.3 for dual boot, my first experience with
Linux.  I had a great deal of difficulty, including reinstalling
Windows and making 3 tries at installing Linux from scratch, so I
thought I would post the procedure I used to finally get it working
with almost no knowlege of Linux.

I first tried installing the Linux Grub boot manager to the MBR, but
something went wrong, I don't know what, even though others have
reported success with this method.  I then used the method outlined in
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=%25o...

I still had trouble, but finally succeeded, using Drive Image backups
of the partitions on the boot drive.

8/19 Install of free Redhat CDs done.  What worked:
fdisk: Delete all partitions on boot drive.  Create 47M C primary,
remainder extended.  Create 3.42G D, remainder.  (If the D partition
is much larger, create a temporary 50M partition before it, to
accommodate the Linux boot partition.  This will avoid the 1024
cylinder limit problem which may be difficult to fix, but may
introduce a bootcfg problem which is easily fixed.)
Drive Image:  Restore C, D over the new partitions, with resize.
Leave the remainder of the extended partition unallocated.  Reboot.
If boot fails, boot from the Windows XP installation disk.  When asked
select R to go to the recovery console.  Enter the administrator
password.
Enter:  bootcfg /rebuild
Select the Windows partition.
Reboot should now work.  Deleting the temporary place holder for the
Linux boot partition will make it stop working, but putting the Linux
boot partition there will fix that.

All this would probably be easier to do with Partition Magic, which I
don't have.  The goal is to have the Windows boot manager in the first
primary partition, and everything else in an extended partition, with
the Linux boot manager before cylinder 1024 of a physical drive.

Install Linux from the free RedHat CDs.  Choose automatic partitioning
with LILO in the boot partition, not the MBR, to prepare for allowing
the Windows boot manager to select Linux.  Select delete old Linux
partitions, since there aren't any.  Select review.  When Druid comes
up, edit the partition sizes to taste.  I chose 47M for the boot
partition, 512M for swap, and the remainder  of 4.54 G for the Linux
root.    Create a boot disk.

At the end of install, reboot from the boot disk,  and complete
preparations for dual booting.  Logon as root, start two terminal
windows.  In one, enter
df
to display the Linux partition information.  If you know the name of
the boot drive, you can display all the partitions on it by entering
fdisk /dev/xxx
where xxx is the name of the boot drive. (Mine is sda.)    In the
other window, enter
dd if=/dev/xxxx  of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
where xxxx is the partition id of the boot partition, not the root
partition.  This puts bootsect.lnx in the root directory.

Mount a DOS formatted disk, and copy bootsect.lnx to it.  Type
mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt

Remove the disk, and reboot to Windows XP to complete the dual boot
setup.  Use cfgboot if necessary   Insert the disk again.
Copy A:\BOOTSECT.LNX to C:\
Click Start, right-click My Computer, and click Properties to display
the System Properties box.  Click Advanced.  Click Settings under
Startup and Recovery.  Click Edit to edit boot.ini.  Add to the end:
C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"
Save
Reboot, and select Linux when the boot selection menu is displayed.
Dual boot should now work.

How to Dual boot Windows XP, RedHat Linux from XP boot manager for newbe

Post by Dave » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:17:23

Good advice.

For me though, um, i don't think i be able to handle all
the hassle, prob grab the comp and throw it out.

Alotta work you have done just for that, wow, good luck
anyway and cheers.

Davey

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have been running Windows XP for nearly a year, but
have just
>installed Redhat Linux 7.3 for dual boot, my first
experience with
>Linux.  I had a great deal of difficulty, including
reinstalling
>Windows and making 3 tries at installing Linux from
scratch, so I
>thought I would post the procedure I used to finally get
it working
>with almost no knowlege of Linux.

>I first tried installing the Linux Grub boot manager to
the MBR, but
>something went wrong, I don't know what, even though
others have
>reported success with this method.  I then used the
method outlined in
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-

8&oe=UTF-8&selm=%25oB09.667370%24352.138821%40sccrnsc02

Quote:

>I still had trouble, but finally succeeded, using Drive
Image backups
>of the partitions on the boot drive.

>8/19 Install of free Redhat CDs done.  What worked:
>fdisk: Delete all partitions on boot drive.  Create 47M
C primary,
>remainder extended.  Create 3.42G D, remainder.  (If the
D partition
>is much larger, create a temporary 50M partition before
it, to
>accommodate the Linux boot partition.  This will avoid
the 1024
>cylinder limit problem which may be difficult to fix,
but may
>introduce a bootcfg problem which is easily fixed.)
>Drive Image:  Restore C, D over the new partitions, with
resize.
>Leave the remainder of the extended partition

unallocated.  Reboot.

Quote:>If boot fails, boot from the Windows XP installation
disk.  When asked
>select R to go to the recovery console.  Enter the
administrator
>password.
>Enter:  bootcfg /rebuild
>Select the Windows partition.
>Reboot should now work.  Deleting the temporary place
holder for the
>Linux boot partition will make it stop working, but
putting the Linux
>boot partition there will fix that.

>All this would probably be easier to do with Partition
Magic, which I
>don't have.  The goal is to have the Windows boot

manager in the first
Quote:>primary partition, and everything else in an extended
partition, with
>the Linux boot manager before cylinder 1024 of a
physical drive.

>Install Linux from the free RedHat CDs.  Choose

automatic partitioning

Quote:>with LILO in the boot partition, not the MBR, to prepare
for allowing
>the Windows boot manager to select Linux.  Select delete
old Linux
>partitions, since there aren't any.  Select review.
When Druid comes
>up, edit the partition sizes to taste.  I chose 47M for
the boot
>partition, 512M for swap, and the remainder  of 4.54 G
for the Linux
>root.    Create a boot disk.

>At the end of install, reboot from the boot disk,  and
complete
>preparations for dual booting.  Logon as root, start two
terminal
>windows.  In one, enter
>df
>to display the Linux partition information.  If you know
the name of
>the boot drive, you can display all the partitions on it
by entering
>fdisk /dev/xxx
>where xxx is the name of the boot drive. (Mine is
sda.)    In the
>other window, enter
>dd if=/dev/xxxx  of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
>where xxxx is the partition id of the boot partition,
not the root
>partition.  This puts bootsect.lnx in the root directory.

>Mount a DOS formatted disk, and copy bootsect.lnx to
it.  Type
>mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
>cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt

>Remove the disk, and reboot to Windows XP to complete
the dual boot
>setup.  Use cfgboot if necessary   Insert the disk again.
>Copy A:\BOOTSECT.LNX to C:\
>Click Start, right-click My Computer, and click

Properties to display

Quote:>the System Properties box.  Click Advanced.  Click
Settings under
>Startup and Recovery.  Click Edit to edit boot.ini.  Add
to the end:
>C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"
>Save
>Reboot, and select Linux when the boot selection menu is
displayed.
>Dual boot should now work.
>.

How to Dual boot Windows XP, RedHat Linux from XP boot manager for newbe

Post by Thomas Fray » Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:13:53

For those who want to use the Grub boot loader, there is a much easier
technique to use while installing Redhat Linux 7.3 on a system that
already has Windows XP installed:  follow the procedure described in
http://203.63.62.82/itmanager/technology/story/0,2000029587,20265546,...
to install the Grub boot manager.