Can you DISABLE auto driver installs???

Post by Steve Heste » Sat, 24 May 2003 04:05:51

Hello all.  I have installed the ATI Catalyst 3.4 driver suite and had some
artifacting problems.  When I went to Device Manager and uninstalled the
driver, it said I must reboot.  Fair enough, I rebooted and the PnP
identified the hardware, then began installing the 3.4 drivers (ALL of them)
again.  So I'm right back where I started and unable to back up to 3.2
because of the driver auto-install.  I thought I read somewhere that this
function could be disabled by holding a particular key down during the XP
load.  Any suggestions or comments are welcome.  Thanks in advance...

Can you DISABLE auto driver installs???

Post by Mark Sallowa » Sat, 24 May 2003 10:07:02

Hi Steve,
Try running the uninstaller in Add/remove programs for the ATi Display
Drivers and Control Panel rather than just removing them in device manager.

--
Mark

Quote:> Hello all.  I have installed the ATI Catalyst 3.4 driver suite and had
some
> artifacting problems.  When I went to Device Manager and uninstalled the
> driver, it said I must reboot.  Fair enough, I rebooted and the PnP
> identified the hardware, then began installing the 3.4 drivers (ALL of
them)
> again.  So I'm right back where I started and unable to back up to 3.2
> because of the driver auto-install.  I thought I read somewhere that this
> function could be disabled by holding a particular key down during the XP
> load.  Any suggestions or comments are welcome.  Thanks in advance...

Can you DISABLE auto driver installs???

Post by Ed Kirstei » Sat, 24 May 2003 12:08:14

I've gone through the same thing,  using Add/remove doesn't solve it.  Also
there is a program called driver cleaner that is supposed to clean out the
driver files so they can't automatically install.  Dell puts the drivers in
a different folder than the program searches so that doesn't work on dell
computers.

I did accomplish getting the new driver installed by doing a search for
files with the names ati*.inf.  I renamed these.  Also, you must disconnect
your cable or dsl so the computer can't try to go online to get the driver.
This has worked for me once but not everytime I have tried.  Weird.

Ed

> Hi Steve,
> Try running the uninstaller in Add/remove programs for the ATi Display
> Drivers and Control Panel rather than just removing them in device
manager.

> --
> Mark

> > Hello all.  I have installed the ATI Catalyst 3.4 driver suite and had
> some
> > artifacting problems.  When I went to Device Manager and uninstalled the
> > driver, it said I must reboot.  Fair enough, I rebooted and the PnP
> > identified the hardware, then began installing the 3.4 drivers (ALL of
> them)
> > again.  So I'm right back where I started and unable to back up to 3.2
> > because of the driver auto-install.  I thought I read somewhere that
this
> > function could be disabled by holding a particular key down during the
XP
> > load.  Any suggestions or comments are welcome.  Thanks in advance...

Can you DISABLE auto driver installs???

Post by Steve Heste » Sun, 25 May 2003 11:24:51

Thanks to all who replied.  I'm going to try the DriverCleaner with DSL
disconnected.  Later...

> I've gone through the same thing,  using Add/remove doesn't solve it.
Also
> there is a program called driver cleaner that is supposed to clean out the
> driver files so they can't automatically install.  Dell puts the drivers
in
> a different folder than the program searches so that doesn't work on dell
> computers.

> I did accomplish getting the new driver installed by doing a search for
> files with the names ati*.inf.  I renamed these.  Also, you must
disconnect
> your cable or dsl so the computer can't try to go online to get the
driver.
> This has worked for me once but not everytime I have tried.  Weird.

> Ed

> > Hi Steve,
> > Try running the uninstaller in Add/remove programs for the ATi Display
> > Drivers and Control Panel rather than just removing them in device
> manager.

> > --
> > Mark

> > > Hello all.  I have installed the ATI Catalyst 3.4 driver suite and had
> > some
> > > artifacting problems.  When I went to Device Manager and uninstalled
the
> > > driver, it said I must reboot.  Fair enough, I rebooted and the PnP
> > > identified the hardware, then began installing the 3.4 drivers (ALL of
> > them)
> > > again.  So I'm right back where I started and unable to back up to 3.2
> > > because of the driver auto-install.  I thought I read somewhere that
> this
> > > function could be disabled by holding a particular key down during the
> XP
> > > load.  Any suggestions or comments are welcome.  Thanks in advance...

1. Disable the auto detect/install printer feature in XP

You can't. For my education, why do you need to have the printer attached
but no drivers loaded ? Without the drivers, it's not going to be of much
use, and even if, they shouldn't interfere with any direct printing you
could be doing.

I reside in Washington, USA, where Title 19 declares that sending me
Unsolicited Commercial Email (IOW: spam) can result in a $500 fine.
Harvesting of this address for purposes of bulk email is explicitly
prohibited.
Please don't send me email directly, post questions here instead so
everybody can see the answers.

2. ports used by game servers?

3. How to disable harware auto install in windows XP?

4. I want all mail to go out of one account

5. disable auto hardware install

6. Preventing dialogue from changing size with different fonts ?

7. How do I disable auto install?

8. NATHAN - my man !!!

9. disabling auto install

10. disable auto-install? can it be done?

11. Disabling auto auto-defragment

12. XP Auto Driver Install

13. Auto update installs wrong version of driver