Why is Fax Console still waiting to answer telephone?

Why is Fax Console still waiting to answer telephone?

Post by John A. Parke » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:12:32

When I originally configured the Fax Console in my WindowsXP Home
system, I set it up for manual answer. It seemed to work just fine. Then
I changed it to auto-answer to test a suggested fix for VERY SLOW fax
reception. The auto-answer acted very wierdly (precise enough
description?!), so I changed it back to manual answer.

Now the system answers any call that rings more than once, even though
it's not obvious how the Fax Console is even starting! AND, once it
answers the phone, if I tell it to disconnect, it won't release the
phone line. (I have to physically disconnect the phone cord to recover a
dial tone.)

I don't mind the FC auto-starting, unless I can't get it to start
behaving and leaving a ringing phone alone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John A. Parker

Why is Fax Console still waiting to answer telephone?

Post by Eran Yari » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:25:03

The fax console is not the module which answers your calls. It's the fax
service.
The component which shows icons and ballons on the system tray area and
which pops up the fax monitor is also not the fax console. It's an extension
of explorer.

Anyway, looks like your change from manual to auto-answer was not applied.
Please look at the 'Devices' tab of the fax printer properties and
re-configure your fax device to manual-answer.

Eran.

Quote:> When I originally configured the Fax Console in my WindowsXP Home
> system, I set it up for manual answer. It seemed to work just fine. Then
> I changed it to auto-answer to test a suggested fix for VERY SLOW fax
> reception. The auto-answer acted very wierdly (precise enough
> description?!), so I changed it back to manual answer.

> Now the system answers any call that rings more than once, even though
> it's not obvious how the Fax Console is even starting! AND, once it
> answers the phone, if I tell it to disconnect, it won't release the
> phone line. (I have to physically disconnect the phone cord to recover a
> dial tone.)

> I don't mind the FC auto-starting, unless I can't get it to start
> behaving and leaving a ringing phone alone.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks!

> John A. Parker

Why is Fax Console still waiting to answer telephone?

Post by John A. Parke » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 04:28:40

Eran,

Thanks for the tutorial. It looks like the settings were correct What
appears to have been happening was when I thought I was closing the
"phone is ringing" balloon I was instead answering the phone. Is there
any way to configure so this not to occur short of turning off "Show
progress when faxes are sent or received"? (I want to see progress when
I'm manually sending or receiving faxes.)

Thanks,

John

Quote:> The fax console is not the module which answers your calls. It's the fax
> service.
> The component which shows icons and ballons on the system tray area and
> which pops up the fax monitor is also not the fax console. It's an extension
> of explorer.

> Anyway, looks like your change from manual to auto-answer was not applied.
> Please look at the 'Devices' tab of the fax printer properties and
> re-configure your fax device to manual-answer.

> Eran.

Why is Fax Console still waiting to answer telephone?

Post by Eran Yari » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:24:32

Sorry, no such feature.

Eran.

Quote:> Eran,

> Thanks for the tutorial. It looks like the settings were correct What
> appears to have been happening was when I thought I was closing the
> "phone is ringing" balloon I was instead answering the phone. Is there
> any way to configure so this not to occur short of turning off "Show
> progress when faxes are sent or received"? (I want to see progress when
> I'm manually sending or receiving faxes.)

> Thanks,

> John

> > The fax console is not the module which answers your calls. It's the fax
> > service.
> > The component which shows icons and ballons on the system tray area and
> > which pops up the fax monitor is also not the fax console. It's an
extension
> > of explorer.

> > Anyway, looks like your change from manual to auto-answer was not
applied.
> > Please look at the 'Devices' tab of the fax printer properties and
> > re-configure your fax device to manual-answer.

> > Eran.

1. XP Fax console - why receiving all faxes in landscape????

Hi

Anyone any idea why all incoming faxes are showing up as landscape -
even if they start off in regular portrait layout?

All the text etc is there - but strangely stretched sideways to fit
the landscape format...

Am using a Lucent on-board modem with updated drivers for XP.

Suggestions appreciated!

Tim

2. Windows CE Toolkits for Visual C++ 6.0

3. Fax console auto answer blocks modem

4. The Sound

5. Fax Console - can't send fax to remote fax

6. IE6 Explorer

7. Why - fax console requesting server rights?!

8. set points

9. Install on demand...waiting...waiting....waiting...

10. Fax Console status: All fax printers are inaccessible

11. Can not view Fax from Fax Console

12. Fax Console cannot open fax sent

13. receiving faxes with windows xp fax console