Spyware and XP

Post by Don » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 01:37:30

How does one determine if there is spyware on their computer. I read where
people say to download this program and it will find it if you have any. My
question to this response is "how does one really know if this spy checking
program is not leaving it's own spies?"
Does a product like Norton offer this checking?
TIA

Spyware and XP

Post by Ronnie Vernon MV » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 01:49:29

> How does one determine if there is spyware on their computer. I read
> where people say to download this program and it will find it if you
> have any. My question to this response is "how does one really know
> if this spy checking program is not leaving it's own spies?"
> Does a product like Norton offer this checking?
> TIA

Don

Spyware is very elusive and insidious. Usually the only way it is detected is after someone has a problem with it or they detect it's presence when it tries to connect through their firewall or other communication monitoring tool without permission.

Most of the popular spyware removal utilities simply add new removal protocols for all of the known spyware. When a new spyware program is detected and reported, it is added to the utility.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP MPS-D

http://www.dts-l.org/

Associate expert: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Spyware and XP

Post by Mark Sallowa » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 02:40:51

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10121984.html?tag=lst-0-2
That program is the one I consider the best for removing adware. It's free
and from my personal use has done the job well.

--
:)

Mark Salloway
Associate Expert

Quote:> How does one determine if there is spyware on their computer. I read where
> people say to download this program and it will find it if you have any.
My
> question to this response is "how does one really know if this spy
checking
> program is not leaving it's own spies?"
> Does a product like Norton offer this checking?
> TIA

Spyware and XP

Post by Al Morri » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 03:07:34

wow...getting a little paranoid are we...spy on the spy on the spy.......

---

Spyware and XP

Post by Ken Blak » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 03:56:20

wrote

Quote:> How does one determine if there is spyware on their computer. I
read
> where people say to download this program and it will find it
if you
> have any. My question to this response is "how does one really
know
> if this spy checking program is not leaving it's own spies?"

What you suggest is certainly theoretically possible. But if were
happening, somebody would almost certainly find out quickly and
the resultant publicity would put the company out of business.

Besides, if you trust nobody, you'd better leave the computer
turned off. How do you know the antivirus programs aren't
installing viruses of their own?

In practice, you can trust the anti-virus companies, and products
like Adaware.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Spyware and XP

Post by Robert Moi » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 05:36:37

Quote:> How does one determine if there is spyware on their computer. I read where
> people say to download this program and it will find it if you have any.
My
> question to this response is "how does one really know if this spy
checking
> program is not leaving it's own spies?"

By downloading reputable programs.

Quote:> Does a product like Norton offer this checking?

Logically, even if it did, how would you know for sure that the providers of
Norton AV were not in on the spyware scam as well? You either have to trust
a little or trust nobody, otherwise it don't make much sense.

Robert Moir, Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP
To search the MS Knowledge base use the link below:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp?PSL=1
My Homepage - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
** Emailed questions will not be answered **

Spyware and XP

Post by Don » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:08:31

Bob you are so right. I used Norton because I have had good results with
their products but yes they could be slipping in a "spy". Actually the more
I think about it, after reading about adaware and someone claiming it ruined
their system, I'll leave well enough alone.
Don

> > How does one determine if there is spyware on their computer. I read
where
> > people say to download this program and it will find it if you have any.
> My
> > question to this response is "how does one really know if this spy
> checking
> > program is not leaving it's own spies?"

> By downloading reputable programs.

> > Does a product like Norton offer this checking?

> Logically, even if it did, how would you know for sure that the providers
of
> Norton AV were not in on the spyware scam as well? You either have to
trust
> a little or trust nobody, otherwise it don't make much sense.

> --
> --
> Robert Moir, Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP
> To search the MS Knowledge base use the link below:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp?PSL=1
> My Homepage - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
> ** Emailed questions will not be answered **

1. ie 6.0 on win xp taken over by spyware

My ie 6.0 is unable to operate. The proxy settings in LAN
insist in an URL that belongs to the "marketscore.com"
site. How do I eliminate this spy?. I tried everything
available in the market, nothing worked so far. I am well
protected by firewall and anti-virus software. I also tried
uninstall / re-install ie 6.0 without success.

2. XP uprade

3. XP Spyware

4. restricting internet access to guests

5. Spyware "Ezula" keys imbedded in XP ???

6. Why are Windows Bitmaps W/O grey tones when printed from AmiPro?

7. XP spyware??

8. Where do I get VoicePilot

9. Spyware and XP

10. XP spyware?

11. Spyware

12. Spyware and Windows Media Player?

13. Completely Deinstall MediaPlayer 6.4 (Spyware)