shut down question and xp updates question

shut down question and xp updates question

Post by Zeid » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:45:20

Hello, first question I have is, how do u get windows xp
proffessional edition to shut down the pc
automatically??  Every time when I shut off computer it
promts me to shut the computer off bye the power
switch every time. Is there an option somewhere???

Question 2 is about the windows updates. I have over 30
updates that I haven't downloaded. My question is, should
I download them all, is it necessary or not. This concern
comes because these updates are called "critical updates"
and I guess they might be critical to my computer. The
only one I have downloaded as of today is the Windows XP
critical update (express).

Thank You!

shut down question and xp updates question

Post by Jupiter Jone » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:55:56

Shutdown:
http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm
Most of those updates are important and necessary.
Most are covered by Windows XP Service Pack 1.
Install Service Pack 1 this way:

***PRINT THIS LIST***
Do not use Express Installation.
You can order Service Pack 1 CD from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/orde
rcd.asp
Download the Network Installation from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/
Be sure to get the 32bit version. (Windows XP Home and Pro)
DSL takes about 20 minutes, if you do not have high speed access, get
a friend to D/L SP1 for you.
Then burn it to a CD and keep for the future.
It is best to resolve current issues BEFORE installing SP1.
First check to make sure you have all updated drivers.
You should have at least 2gb free space (Less than half that is needed
for SP1, but if you are that close, you need to start looking for ways
to free space or add another hard drive.)
Check with computer manufacturer to insure compatibility with SP1,
there are a few models where the company has said wait while the
manufacturer implements a fix.
Compaq and HP are 2 that I know of.
If you have HP or Compaq computer contact them before installing SP1:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph07866.h
tml#P1_65
There may still be issues with the HP/Compaq fix, so you may want to
wait
If possible run Ad-Aware and delete spyware:
http://www.webattack.com/get/adaware.shtml
Run chkdsk to check file system.
Perform Disk Cleanup (all boxes checked except Compress old files)
Perform Disk Defragmentation.
Ensure correct date and time.
Disconnect all peripherals (camera, scanner, printer etc)
When you are ready:
Create a Restore Point in System Restore
Go to MSCONFIG, uncheck all in Start-up tab.
Reboot the computer
Login as an Administrator, disable ALL unnecessary applications
including antivirus.
Install SP1 by double clicking on it, follow the prompts.
After SP1 install is completed, reboot, defrag.

Jupiter Jones
Please respond to newsgroup only.
Everyone can benefit from the message.

Quote:> Hello, first question I have is, how do u get windows xp