Can OEM License/Key, Work On XP/Upgrade

Post by Carlo » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:29:35

I Wonder if an License and CD Key for an OEM
Windows Xp will work if I use it with a Windows Xp
upgrade. I recently got an OEM License CD Key but without
the CD itself. I Barely know this type of licenses are
designed
for the OEM Windows Xp. Since I don't have it. My question
is if I would be able to activate a machine with this key
if I use
the upgrade version of Xp instead of the OEM

Thanks in advance.

Carlos

Can OEM License/Key, Work On XP/Upgrade

Post by Mr. X » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:03:45

Q.    "I wonder if an License and CD Key for an OEM
        Windows Xp will work if I use it with a Windows Xp
        upgrade. I recently got an OEM License CD Key but without
        the CD itself. I Barely know this type of licenses are
        designed
        for the OEM Windows Xp. Since I don't have it. My question
        is if I would be able to activate a machine with this key
        if I use
        the upgrade version of Xp instead of the OEM."

A.    No, a Product Key for an OEM version of Windows XP
        will not work with any "retail" version of XP.

        You need to get the correct OEM CD in order to use
        your OEM Product Key.  There is no way around this.

Can OEM License/Key, Work On XP/Upgrade

Post by Jupiter Jone » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:49:12

Carlos;
Hope fully you did not pay for it.
To add to what Mr. XP said.
An OEM license is normally permanently tied to the computer it was
sold with or the first computer it was activated.
Unless you have the computer, what you have is worthless.

--
Jupiter Jones
Please respond to newsgroup only.

Quote:> I Wonder if an License and CD Key for an OEM
> Windows Xp will work if I use it with a Windows Xp
> upgrade. I recently got an OEM License CD Key but without
> the CD itself. I Barely know this type of licenses are
> designed
> for the OEM Windows Xp. Since I don't have it. My question
> is if I would be able to activate a machine with this key
> if I use
> the upgrade version of Xp instead of the OEM

> Thanks in advance.

> Carlos

1. Upgrade from XP Home OEM to XP Pro -- Retail full or upgrade?

Greetings,

I own an HP/Compaq with Windows XP Home pre-installed.  I simply must
have the full-blown networking cabablities of the Pro version.
 Therefore, I plan to buy either the XP Pro Retail Upgrade or Retail
Full version.  Some questions:

1) I would prefer to upgrade (as opposed to a clean install) so I can
keep all applications and data in-tact.  Is the XP Home-to-Pro upgrade
pretty robust?

2) Assuming the answer to question #1 is "yes", will the Retail XP Pro
version install over the top of the OEM XP Home version?  I know it will
upgrade fine over a retail version, but what about an OEM version?

3) I've noticed a funny litle extra partition on my C-drive.  What is
its purpose?  Do I need to keep it after the upgrade?

Regards,

Jeff

2. Processor Speed

3. Upgrading XP Home (OEM) with XP Pro Upgrade

4. ISO Cable-TV Software, Ad-Channel software

5. Using XP Open Licence key for Win2K, will it work?

6. Test

7. OEM License Activation on 207.46.242.246 doesn't work

8. XP crashing

9. Corporate key to OEM or Retail key

10. OEM WinXP Pro or OEM WinXP Home + WinXP Pro upgrade

11. Some keys don't work after upgrading to Windows XP

12. sony vaio function keys not working after XP Pro upgrade

13. Install a legitimate full retail license over a pirate volume license key?