CD-Rom causes CD-ROM drive to "hang"

Post by Darren_U » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:25:06

This may be off-topic, if it is and you can suggest an alternative place
to find an answer, please accept my apologies and let me know where I
could go to find the answer.

I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with a Dell installed Samsung SM-332B,
firmware version T410 (from Dell website).

With one particular CD-R, I insert the disk, and then notice the data
LED flashes continuously (as if reading the drive - and I can feel the
drive is spinning continuously).

My Computer-->right-click on CD-ROM icon causes that instance of My
Computer to hang with a busy (hourglass) mouse pointer.

The CD-ROM drive refuses to open its drawer when I press the eject
button on the drive front.

The CD-ROM remains in this state for as long as I have patience (I have
left it for around 10 minutes on one occassion) and I solve the problem
by powering down.

If I forget to remove the CD-R from the drive, then on Windows reboot
I'm presented with a black screen.  Solution is to ensure I've removed
the CD-R from the drive before reboot and before Windows enters its
startup phase.

Other CD's, CD-R's and DVD's work fine.

CD-Rom causes CD-ROM drive to "hang"

Post by Harry Ohr » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:41:24

It sounds like a corrupt disk. Toss it.

--

Harry Ohrn - MS MVP (Windows Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/

Quote:> This may be off-topic, if it is and you can suggest an alternative place
> to find an answer, please accept my apologies and let me know where I
> could go to find the answer.

> I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with a Dell installed Samsung SM-332B,
> firmware version T410 (from Dell website).

> With one particular CD-R, I insert the disk, and then notice the data
> LED flashes continuously (as if reading the drive - and I can feel the
> drive is spinning continuously).

> My Computer-->right-click on CD-ROM icon causes that instance of My
> Computer to hang with a busy (hourglass) mouse pointer.

> The CD-ROM drive refuses to open its drawer when I press the eject
> button on the drive front.

> The CD-ROM remains in this state for as long as I have patience (I have
> left it for around 10 minutes on one occassion) and I solve the problem
> by powering down.

> If I forget to remove the CD-R from the drive, then on Windows reboot
> I'm presented with a black screen.  Solution is to ensure I've removed
> the CD-R from the drive before reboot and before Windows enters its
> startup phase.

> Other CD's, CD-R's and DVD's work fine.

CD-Rom causes CD-ROM drive to "hang"

Post by Darren_U » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:00:43

I agree with you.

However, I'm curious how a corrupt disk can cause the CD-ROM drive to
behave the way it does.

It sounds a bit like the tail wagging the dog - I would at least expect
the drive to time-out and then eject the drive drawer.

> It sounds like a corrupt disk. Toss it.

CD-Rom causes CD-ROM drive to "hang"

Post by Harry Ohr » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:13:56

Check the information at Andy McFaddens' FAQ to learn more about CD Burning
in general http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/cdr_info.htm

--

Post by Malk » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:43:20

> I agree with you.

> However, I'm curious how a corrupt disk can cause the CD-ROM drive to
> behave the way it does.

> It sounds a bit like the tail wagging the dog - I would at least
> expect the drive to time-out and then eject the drive drawer.

>> It sounds like a corrupt disk. Toss it.

Nope. Mr. Ohrn is right. There's something messed up on that particular
disk. Throw it out. The drive will never time-out and eject. That's
just not The Way Things Work.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Post by Plat » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:28:13

> The CD-ROM drive refuses to open its drawer when I press the eject
> button on the drive front.

> The CD-ROM remains in this state for as long as I have patience (I have
> left it for around 10 minutes on one occassion) and I solve the problem
> by powering down.

What's happening is that your PC, since your CDrom drive id IDE,
"treats" the disk as if it's data on a hard drive. In other words, the
PC wants to access the data and hold onto it so you can work with the
data ie copy, run, etc.

That's why you dont see it "time out" like you'd expect from a bad
floppy disk or similiar. ie just like you dont want your pc to "time
out" from trying to access your hard drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Post by Alex Nicho » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 03:11:39

>This may be off-topic, if it is and you can suggest an alternative place
>to find an answer, please accept my apologies and let me know where I
>could go to find the answer.

>I have a Dell Dimension 4500 with a Dell installed Samsung SM-332B,
>firmware version T410 (from Dell website).

>With one particular CD-R, I insert the disk, and then notice the data
>LED flashes continuously (as if reading the drive - and I can feel the
>drive is spinning continuously).

>My Computer-->right-click on CD-ROM icon causes that instance of My
>Computer to hang with a busy (hourglass) mouse pointer.

If this is a 'home burned' CD using Direct CD or InCD it may be that it
is in a variant of the packet writing UDF system which XP cannot quite
manage to read.

1. CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not recognize CD-ROMs and DVD-Roms

Since approx. 1 week I have an extremely irritating
problem with my 2 CD-ROM drives and my DVD-ROM drive
(under Windows XP Professional), although I did not
(myself) change anything on my PC HW or SW installation.

My drives suddenly recognize (official as well as own-
written) data CD-ROMs and (official) DVD-ROMs only once
and only after they have first read an official audio-CD.

When I unload and load the drives with the same data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM (that were perfectly accessible before the
unload), they either do not detect the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
at all, or they recognize them as empty.

When I load an official audio-CD (which is always
correctly recognized and accessible without any problem),
unload it again and replace it with the earlier data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM, the data CD-ROM is again recognized and
accessible (until the next unload). A DVD-ROM on the
other hand causes my PC to reboot, after which it is also
recognized and accessible (until the next unload).

Can this be due to a recent Windows XP Security update (I
have Windows Update set on automatic) or one or other
security setting in Windows XP that I may accidentally
have set?
Can I undo this?

Michel

2. Cannot delete a folder after deleting its sub-folders

3. CD-rom and DVD rom errors "not the usual suspects"

4. Wireless Lan

5. CD-Rom plays audio CDs but doesn't "see" data CDs

6. INTRANET Problem

7. "No CD-ROM in drive"

8. Scrolling problem in CRichEditCtrl

9. choosing which CD-ROM drive to open with MCI's "open cdaudio" command

10. "mounted" dvd and cd-rom drives on wrong letters

11. CD-ROM says "Please insert a disk in Drive F:"

12. CD-ROM drive "inaccessible"

13. "CD-ROM drive disappeared"