IIS Logging and Monitoring Tools?

Post by S. Smit » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:29:23

I have IIS 5 installed with my XP Pro box, but I am not too thrilled
with the logging and monitoring features of IIS 5 in XP. Anybody
know of any 3rd party IIS logging/statistics tools for XP Pro and
IIS 5?

I recall that in earlier versions of IIS on NT, I could pull up my IIS
control panel and see how many users were actively logged in to
the Web and FTP services and what their IP addresses were. I
don't see that option in XP Pro with IIS 5. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

--
Scott Smith - "Busting Chops on Usenet Since 1986"
    http://www.wwwebworld.com/smith_dci.htm

IIS Logging and Monitoring Tools?

Post by Brian Berr » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 04:29:13

Scott,

Check out the Performance monitor under Administrative Tools. That's been
the only way that I'm aware of for monitoring realtime web server statistics
in any NT version for as long as I can remember. I don't see any Control
Panel applet for IIS on my Win2K box...

As far as log analyzers, WebTrends is the granddaddy of them all for doing
* reports

//Brian

Quote:

Post by S. Smit » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 05:17:15

>> I have IIS 5 installed with my XP Pro box, but I am not too thrilled
>> with the logging and monitoring features of IIS 5 in XP. Anybody
>> know of any 3rd party IIS logging/statistics tools for XP Pro and
>> IIS 5?

>> I recall that in earlier versions of IIS on NT, I could pull up my IIS
>> control panel and see how many users were actively logged in to
>> the Web and FTP services and what their IP addresses were. I
>> don't see that option in XP Pro with IIS 5. Am I missing something?

>> Thanks in advance.

>Scott,

>Check out the Performance monitor under Administrative Tools. That's been
>the only way that I'm aware of for monitoring realtime web server statistics
>in any NT version for as long as I can remember. I don't see any Control
>Panel applet for IIS on my Win2K box...

I remember that there used to be a dialog in Windows NT 4 that allowed
me to view how many users were logged into my IIS 3 Web server and what
their IP addresses were. I could even boot off and/or block specific IP
addresses from the site if I wanted to. I could do the same for the FTP
service. I don't see that in XP with IIS 5.

I can still run the performance monitor to see live stats on the number of
users, etc. for IIS...but it doesn't give me the option to view or restrict
IP addresses accessing the services.

Quote:>As far as log analyzers, WebTrends is the granddaddy of them all for doing
>* reports

I'm familiar with both MediaHouse's IIS Assistant and WebTrends from
previous clients Web sites. I'm looking for something on a smaller scale
for my home use on my personal IIS site. Those are great tools for e-commerce
or large-scale IIS sites, but I need something geared for personal use. Maybe
I should think about looking into some VB development options for creating
something as a freeware/shareware option. I've been trying to think of a good
VB project, maybe this is that opportunity. I'm thinking of something that would
offer a window that lists connected IP addresses (maybe with IP translation)
and that logs and charts Web/FTP activity on IIS 5.

Thanks for the input.

1. QUE: IIS 4.0 log file analysis using a Linux tool

Hello to everyone.

I have the following problem:
We have a site that uses Microsoft IIS 4.0 and we want to analyze the log
files using a Linux tool.
If we use NCSA log format for IIS 4.0 then there is no information about
the operating system and the browser of the client. We don't want that.

Is there such a tool?

many thanks in advance.
have a nice weekend,
mihalis.

2. Prob with Dial Up

3. IIS Virtual Server Log Splitting Tool

4. Rage II driver 4 meg pci all in wonder

5. Log Agent, log file recollection tool

6. FYI... Dev Kit for Windows CE on PC104 platform

7. IIS Lockdown Tool And Hit Counter

8. Multi-language support limitation?

9. I don't see iis in admin tools and is installed

10. IIS 'Current User' monitor

11. IIS in Administrative Tools HELP

12. IIS, MSSQL 6.0 and Performance Monitor

13. new iis security tool available