Desktop refreshes itself too frequently

Post by Nick Cellin » Tue, 27 May 2003 17:58:43

My desktop refreshes itself very frequently which I find somewhat annoying
because I have to wait for the process to finish before I can resume
computing. Part of the process seems to involve checking my drives for
media.

Are these frequent refreshes normal?

---

Desktop refreshes itself too frequently

Post by Ray Taylo » Tue, 27 May 2003 20:26:22

How do you mean refresh? Does this happen when you have no programs open and
you are looking at the desktop after windows has finished booting or have
you just clicked the show desktop shortcut on your quicklaunch bar ?

Does this refresh process involve reloading the wallpaper, icons and task
bar or any other oblects? Also can you describe what the desktop looks like
when it does this refresh, eg. do the icons disappear and return etc.

When you describe a problem without much other information about the rest of
the computer and what you may have done previous to the event, it can help
us come up with a more effective solution to help solve the problem.

I would not think that during a desktop refresh of icons and wallpaper, that
it should need to check your alternative media drives and so far with the
information given, I would suggest that it could be a 3rd party application.
Do you use a program that changes your desktop wallpaper on a regular basis
???

Ray Taylor

Quote:> My desktop refreshes itself very frequently which I find somewhat annoying
> because I have to wait for the process to finish before I can resume
> computing. Part of the process seems to involve checking my drives for
> media.

> Are these frequent refreshes normal?

> ---

Desktop refreshes itself too frequently

Post by Nick Cellin » Thu, 29 May 2003 16:10:49

Here's what happens:

1. The icons on the desktop disappear for a second and the screen turns
blue.
2. All the icons on the desktop redraw themselves.
3. I hear a sound that indicates that the floppy drive is being checked for
media.

The taskbar remains unchanged. I do not use a program that changes the
desktop wallpaper on a regular basis.

> How do you mean refresh? Does this happen when you have no programs open
and
> you are looking at the desktop after windows has finished booting or have
> you just clicked the show desktop shortcut on your quicklaunch bar ?

> Does this refresh process involve reloading the wallpaper, icons and task
> bar or any other oblects? Also can you describe what the desktop looks
like
> when it does this refresh, eg. do the icons disappear and return etc.

> When you describe a problem without much other information about the rest
of
> the computer and what you may have done previous to the event, it can help
> us come up with a more effective solution to help solve the problem.

> I would not think that during a desktop refresh of icons and wallpaper,
that
> it should need to check your alternative media drives and so far with the
> information given, I would suggest that it could be a 3rd party
application.
> Do you use a program that changes your desktop wallpaper on a regular
basis
> ???

> Ray Taylor

> > My desktop refreshes itself very frequently which I find somewhat
annoying
> > because I have to wait for the process to finish before I can resume
> > computing. Part of the process seems to involve checking my drives for
> > media.

> > Are these frequent refreshes normal?

> > ---

---