"Hoax"-mail (virus-warning) concerning file "jdbgmdr.exe"

"Hoax"-mail (virus-warning) concerning file "jdbgmdr.exe"

Post by Aufdermaue » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 19:35:24

by good friends I got a e-mail with an advice to delete the file
"jdbgmdr.exe". This should be a virus.
I found this file two times on my computer and deleted them completely as
advised.
Now I heard, that this file is part of the system and necessary for
java-based programms (which programms are these?)
But the information was also, that in deed this file can be a virus.
The question:
Has anybody experience with this hoax-mail?
For which programms is the file "jdbgmdr.exe" necessary in windows xp home
edition?
How can I find out whether the file is an virus or not?
How can I reinstall the right file (from programm disk?) after I have
deleted it completely.

This Message was send via Microsoft Mail and News

Helmut

"Hoax"-mail (virus-warning) concerning file "jdbgmdr.exe"

Post by Nichola » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 19:41:01

Jdbgmgr.exe File Hoax
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll
down to Line #48.  In the left-hand window, click on
"Replace jdbgmgr.exe"

(Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP)

--
Nicholas

Post by Opinicu » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 19:55:23

> by good friends I got a e-mail with an advice to delete the file
> "jdbgmdr.exe".

Don't believe everything you read in email.
In fact, don't believe ANYTHING you read in email without corroberation.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Post by Mike Muelle » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:36:16

: by good friends I got a e-mail with an advice to delete
: the file "jdbgmdr.exe". This should be a virus.
: I found this file two times on my computer and deleted
: them completely as advised.
: Now I heard, that this file is part of the system and
: necessary for java-based programms (which programms are
: these?)
: But the information was also, that in deed this file can
: be a virus.
: The question:
: Has anybody experience with this hoax-mail?
: For which programms is the file "jdbgmdr.exe" necessary
: in windows xp home edition?
: How can I find out whether the file is an virus or not?
: How can I reinstall the right file (from programm disk?)
: after I have deleted it completely.
**********

Mikey says:
First the obvious- any virus you are notified of by email
should be checked out first before having any action taken.
Same thing with patches & updates.  Those are never done by
email.  You can query this newsgroup on any of these types
of messages and you should be able to get help.

Now onto your situation.  JDBGMGR is the debugging program
for JAVA.  It is only used by JAVA developers. In layman
terms, if you dont program JAVA, don't worry about the fact
that it is gone. If you feel incomplete without it, go into
help & support when online and type JDBGMGR into the search
field, the MS knowledgebase articles on the bottom will
confirm what I have told you and tell you how to put it back
in if desired.

"Hoax"-mail (virus-warning) concerning file "jdbgmdr.exe"

Post by Bruce Chamber » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:38:39

Greetings --

    This is a very old hoax.  If your antivirus software is current
and detects nothing, you're safe.  Do nothing with the named file,
delete the email, and tell whomever sent you the original message to
check their facts before spreading rumors.

Microsoft De* Registrar for Java Is Not a Virus
http://www.veryComputer.com/;en-us;Q322993

Jdbgmgr.exe file Hoax
http://www.veryComputer.com/

    If you did delete the file, you really haven't done much damage.
This file is used by Java programmers to find errors in their code.
If you don't do any Java programming, you don't really need the file.

    It's important to remember though, that almost _any_ email virus
warning is a hoax, designed primarily to bog down email systems by
having well-meaning but uniformed people send out hundreds of
otherwise valueless email warnings.  When you receive a warning like
this, the *first* thing you should do is check its veracity at one or
more of the following web sites:

Symantec Security Response - Hoax Page
http://www.veryComputer.com/

F-Secure  Security Information Center - Hoaxes
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Trend Micro Hoax Encyclopedia, alerts
http://www.veryComputer.com/

    However, there is a relatively new mass-mailing worm (it uses

Jdbgmgr.exe, so it is crucially important to keep your antivirus
definitions up-to-date, and to be very suspicious of any unexpected
attachments.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Bruce Chambers
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.veryComputer.com/
----
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

Quote:> by good friends I got a e-mail with an advice to delete the file

Post by Alex Nicho » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 21:33:21

>by good friends I got a e-mail with an advice to delete the file
>"jdbgmdr.exe". This should be a virus.
>I found this file two times on my computer and deleted them completely as
>advised.
>Now I heard, that this file is part of the system and necessary for
>java-based programms (which programms are these?)
>But the information was also, that in deed this file can be a virus.
>The question:
>Has anybody experience with this hoax-mail?
>For which programms is the file "jdbgmdr.exe" necessary in windows xp home
>edition?

We have heard of it so much over months that frankly we are getting a
little tired of it.

The 'correct' file has a teddy bear icon.  There is a trojan that takes
advantage of the hoax to hide itself in the same place - that has a
screwdriver icon, and *should* be deleted.

But if you have deleted it it no great matter..  The file is not used in
the ordinary way - only by people who are developing and debugging
'applets' in the JAva language, and you will not miss it

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)