Generic Host Process for WIN 32 is attempting to access the internet

Generic Host Process for WIN 32 is attempting to access the internet

Post by Quinoa » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 00:48:59

Not to worry...svchost.exe is part of the operating system. You can -
you should - allow it to access the Internet, but don't let it act as a
server. Alex Nichol explains the Generic Host Process well; look for his
posts on this topic.

Quinoa S

Post by Alex Nicho » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 05:25:03

>I have a cable modem, so I am online all the time.  I keep
>getting a security warning that says "Generic Host Process
>for WIN 32 is attempting to access the internet."

>The warning says that it is a "low level" threat, and the
>recommended action is to allow access.  I keep blocking it
>because I don't know what it is.

That is support for various services of the system, that might be needed
in the course of using the net.  Let it have access - but there does not
normally seem to be need for it to be allowed to act as a Server

--
Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)