Using OCR with XP

Post by Jim » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 23:52:38

I don't know of this is the correct news group to ask this
question but,Is anyone familiar with a good OCR product
for scanning straight text to Word reliably. I am using
Readis 6.0 on HP G55, with Dell 8200. Readis says it's
conversion is 99 percent acurate; however that has not
been my experience. Or is there anything I can do in setup
of scanner (higher dpi,etc) to increase accuracy.

Using OCR with XP

Post by The Sentine » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:45:16

You will always have to preview OCR scans to any program as they are way
less than accurate!

Quote:> I don't know of this is the correct news group to ask this

Post by d.. » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:50:26

> I don't know of this is the correct news group to ask this
> question but,Is anyone familiar with a good OCR product
> for scanning straight text to Word reliably. I am using
> Readis 6.0 on HP G55, with Dell 8200. Readis says it's
> conversion is 99 percent acurate; however that has not
> been my experience. Or is there anything I can do in setup
> of scanner (higher dpi,etc) to increase accuracy.

Fiddle with the brighness and/or contrast controls in the scanner
software.  That can make a significant difference.

A particular preset here was far too light when newpaper articles were
scanner, and thus OCR was inaccurate.  I created a profile that was
darker, and OCR picks up the result much better than before.

Using OCR with XP

Post by Cassandr » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:54:47

That's actually not true. I've been using ABBY Fine Reader v6 for about 4
months and I've not had to edit anything it produces.

--
Cassandra

Divide by Cucumber Error. Please re-install Universe and reboot - Hex -
Hogfather - Terry Pratchett

> You will always have to preview OCR scans to any program as they are way
> less than accurate!

> > I don't know of this is the correct news group to ask this
> > question but,Is anyone familiar with a good OCR product
> > for scanning straight text to Word reliably. I am using
> > Readis 6.0 on HP G55, with Dell 8200. Readis says it's
> > conversion is 99 percent acurate; however that has not
> > been my experience. Or is there anything I can do in setup
> > of scanner (higher dpi,etc) to increase accuracy.

Using OCR with XP

Post by Bruce J. Weier » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 01:38:10

I just completed a small scanning project with OmniPage Pro v11.

The original was in good condition, but far from perfect, and the printing
was about 10 point.

I used greyscale rather than black-and-white.

The program asked about only a handful of things it could not read -- most
of them due to stray marks or messiness on the original.  The scan was
flawless.  I read through the entire document and the only mistakes I found
were typos in the original.

This has definitely not been my experience in the past with earlier versions
of the program.

The professional quality OCR programs have come a long way.

> You will always have to preview OCR scans to any program as they are way
> less than accurate!

> > I don't know of this is the correct news group to ask this
> > question but,Is anyone familiar with a good OCR product
> > for scanning straight text to Word reliably. I am using
> > Readis 6.0 on HP G55, with Dell 8200. Readis says it's
> > conversion is 99 percent acurate; however that has not
> > been my experience. Or is there anything I can do in setup
> > of scanner (higher dpi,etc) to increase accuracy.

Using OCR with XP

Post by Opinicu » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 02:15:56

Quote:> I recently got FineReader from www.abbyy.com and am quite impressed -

"Impressed" is too weak a word to describe my reaction--"awed" would be
better. And when I saw the multilingual support FineReader has, I
purchased a copy immediately. The integration into Word is phenomenal.

My last run-in with an OCR was something miscalled "Recognita".
("Recognize" being the one thing it was good at not doing.) That was
more than 5 years ago in Windows 95. FineReader has been worth the wait.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Using OCR with XP

Post by Pierr » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:31:02

Quote:>I don't know of this is the correct news group to ask this
>question but,Is anyone familiar with a good OCR product
>for scanning straight text to Word reliably.

I use Omnipage Pro. Works great with both Word and Wordperfect.
Pierre

Using OCR with XP

Post by Rick Friedlin » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:22:17

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 11:50:02 +0100, Alex Nichol

>I recently got FineReader from www.abbyy.com and am quite impressed -
>there is a test download available.  T

Maybe my eyes are going, but I don't see a download or a price for the
Home edition ... only professional and corporate versions. Is there a
hidden link? :-)

--
RickF

Using OCR with XP

Post by Opinicu » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:26:48

> Maybe my eyes are going, but I don't see a download or a price for the
> Home edition ... only professional and corporate versions. Is there a
> hidden link? :-)

The link's not hidden but it took me a while to find it too.

On the main page click on "Products" then "Home Edition" then "Buy
now/Purchase at ABBYY store". On the page that you fetch up, look for
"ABBYY FineReader 5.0 (OCR) / ABBYY FineReader 5.0 Pro". That's the
"Home Edition". It's misnamed. (The price is the giveaway.)

One word of advice to people ordering this who live outside the US. I
had an odd glitch when buying the program. The first time I went through
the ordering process, I made the delivery address (a street address) the
same as my billing address. At some point I got a message saying that
they couldn't sell the program to me because of "territory" or "export"
restrictions or somesuch. (I live in Turkey.) So I went through the
whole thing again and this time gave my sister's address in Arizona as
the billing address and everything worked fine.

I successfully downloaded the software and activated and installed it.
But any day now I expect to hear from my sister saying "What do I do
with this CD?" or--worse--"Why are these black helicopters hovering
outside my house?" ;-)

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

1. OCR scanning software and compatibility with Wndows XP

I have reviewed literature for a Brother Laser Flatbed
Multifunction Center (MFC-4800 & MFC-6800).  However, in
the features available ScanSoft, PaperPort, and
TextBridge OCR softwares are included, but the literature
states that these softwares does not work with Windows
XP.  I need to scan a large quantity of documents
formatted 13 years ago on an Osborne computer, so that I
can save them and format them in MS Word for a training
program.  To do that I need quality OCR software.

What is the solution here?  Why don't ScanSoft,
PaperPort, and TextBridge work with Windows XP?  If these
are not compatible, what IS compatible that offers
quality scanning and document saving/editing
functionality?  If I buy only a scanner, I still need to
know what quality scanning software will work with
Windows XP.

Thanks for any advice sent.

Kathy B.

2. : How to flush the disk cache under Win32 and/or MFC

3. Windows XP and the HP OCR

4. icons

5. Change OCR software in Microsoft Office XP Document Imaging

6. Firewall? not sure

7. XP: built-in OCR?

8. Outlook Express Problem

9. OCR with Windows XP