service pack 1 corrupts XP operating system

service pack 1 corrupts XP operating system

Post by Martye Bec » Fri, 02 May 2003 19:08:52

I had an old system running a BX440 motherboard and XP
running fine. I replaced my motherboard with an ASUS P4GE-V
board and a P4 2.4 ghz processor with 256 meg of PC2700
ram. On initial boot up the operating would not run so I
formatted the drive and reinstalled XP. It started up fine.
I installed the necessary motherboard drivers and XP was up
and running. I did a windows update and downloaded service
pack 1. The download completed and installation proceded.
Before completion, the pc rebooted without any notice.
After restarting the blue chkdsk screen came up and
truncated lots of files. After chkdsk completed the windows
XP boot screen appeared for a few seconds. A blue screen
briefly appears and then the system reboots. It will
continue this cycle indefinately. Even when booting in safe
mode, a short list of driver lines appear and then the
system reboots. Once again I reformatted the drive,
installed XP, downloaded SP1 and it happened again. What's
the deal???

service pack 1 corrupts XP operating system

Post by Willi » Fri, 02 May 2003 19:29:02

Lot's have given up with sp1 because of the same reason
you have found out. As you know sp1 is a cumulative patch.
I would just go through the old updates and pick the ones
you need. Most all of them are for security reasons and if
your not on a network and you have a firewall you don't
even need.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

Post by Alex Nicho » Sat, 03 May 2003 18:17:02

>I had an old system running a BX440 motherboard and XP
>running fine. I replaced my motherboard with an ASUS P4GE-V
>board and a P4 2.4 ghz processor with 256 meg of PC2700
>ram. On initial boot up the operating would not run so I
>formatted the drive and reinstalled XP. It started up fine.
>I installed the necessary motherboard drivers and XP was up
>and running. I did a windows update and downloaded service
>pack 1. The download completed and installation proceded.
>Before completion, the pc rebooted without any notice.
>After restarting the blue chkdsk screen came up and
>truncated lots of files. After chkdsk completed the windows
>XP boot screen appeared for a few seconds. A blue screen
>briefly appears and then the system reboots. It will
>continue this cycle indefinately. Even when booting in safe
>mode, a short list of driver lines appear and then the
>system reboots. Once again I reformatted the drive,
>installed XP, downloaded SP1 and it happened again. What's
>the deal???

SP1 may have decided it has 'better' drivers than the ones you
installed, because those were no 'signed' and the ones it has are
signed.  So it has installed these, and they turn out not a good idea.

I would suggest doing a repair reinstall  and then run SP1 and only
*then* the motherboard drivers

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)

service pack 1 corrupts XP operating system

Post by Ron Mors » Sun, 04 May 2003 01:13:22

I think you had a spontaneous reboot and the fact that SP1 was
updating at the time was coincidental.

Spontaneous reboots generally involve either thermal, memory, power
suppliy or video driver problems.

Since you just did a mobo swap did you change the power supply
at the same time?

On Thu, 1 May 2003 10:08:52 -0700, "Martye Beck"

>I had an old system running a BX440 motherboard and XP
>running fine. I replaced my motherboard with an ASUS P4GE-V
>board and a P4 2.4 ghz processor with 256 meg of PC2700
>ram. On initial boot up the operating would not run so I
>formatted the drive and reinstalled XP. It started up fine.
>I installed the necessary motherboard drivers and XP was up
>and running. I did a windows update and downloaded service
>pack 1. The download completed and installation proceded.
>Before completion, the pc rebooted without any notice.
>After restarting the blue chkdsk screen came up and
>truncated lots of files. After chkdsk completed the windows
>XP boot screen appeared for a few seconds. A blue screen
>briefly appears and then the system reboots. It will
>continue this cycle indefinately. Even when booting in safe
>mode, a short list of driver lines appear and then the
>system reboots. Once again I reformatted the drive,
>installed XP, downloaded SP1 and it happened again. What's
>the deal???

1. sp1 update corrupts XP operating system

I had an old system running a BX440 motherboard and XP PRO
formatted with FAT32 file system running fine. I replaced
[...]

2. am i safe from nimda?

3. W2k remove service pack 3 install service pack 2

4. CDROM Music CD Player needed

5. Solution to Service Pack 3 hotfix referece problems in Service Pack 4

6. DIG?

7. Service Pack 2 --> Service Pack 3

8. TSWeb - Integrate TS Config into webpage..

9. Intel Service pack 4 update on MS Web page points to Service Pack 3!

10. Manage Service Packs and Hotfixes with Service Pack Manager, Network Security App for NT/2000

11. System File Checker and XP Service Packs

12. XP Service Pack 1- crashed system

13. Win XP Service Pack 2 - System Won't Load