Auto Shutdown

Post by Darro » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 16:24:30

Hey, xp will shutdown but I can't find any programs to shut down xp anymore,
it just says it's safe to turn off but leave's the pc on.  windows xp
(somehow) disabled my power button to so the only way to do it is through
the program, so once i get to the screen i have to unplug it : (

not urgent, but if you have a solution..

thnx

Auto Shutdown

Post by Jason Tsan » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 17:09:50

Go to Control Panel, go to Display, go to the Screen Saver tab, press the
power button, then go to the APM tab and make sure that APM it is enabled.
The behavior you describe usually happens on APM systems as APM is not
enabled by default by XP.  After the system reboots, assuming the above
describes your system, the system should shutdown on its own.

If this doesn't apply to you, then go see
http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm for more possibilities

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

Find out about the Windows XP Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

> Hey, xp will shutdown but I can't find any programs to shut down xp anymore,
> it just says it's safe to turn off but leave's the pc on.  windows xp
> (somehow) disabled my power button to so the only way to do it is through
> the program, so once i get to the screen i have to unplug it : (

> not urgent, but if you have a solution..

> thnx

Auto Shutdown

Post by d.. » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 17:32:28

> Hey, xp will shutdown but I can't find any programs to shut down xp anymore,
> it just says it's safe to turn off but leave's the pc on.  windows xp
> (somehow) disabled my power button to so the only way to do it is through
> the program, so once i get to the screen i have to unplug it : (

> not urgent, but if you have a solution..
> Go to Control Panel, go to Display, go to the Screen Saver tab, press the
> power button, then go to the APM tab and make sure that APM is enabled.
> The behavior you describe usually happens on APM systems as APM is not
> enabled by default by XP.  After the system reboots, assuming the above
> describes your system, the system should shutdown on its own.

> If this doesn't apply to you, then go see
> http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm for more possibilities

> --
> Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

No 'APM' tab showing here, but system shuts down on its own - usually.^

Auto Shutdown

Post by <stoney2.. » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 13:49:01

Look in the control panel under power managment and you
might fing something there.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hey, xp will shutdown but I can't find any programs to

shut down xp anymore,
Quote:>it just says it's safe to turn off but leave's the pc
on.  windows xp
>(somehow) disabled my power button to so the only way to
do it is through
>the program, so once i get to the screen i have to
unplug it : (

>not urgent, but if you have a solution..

>thnx

>.

1. Need help with auto starting an auto shutdown win95

Hi everyone !

I have a problem with windows95 to get it to do an auto shut down and
auto startup.

The reason I need this is to run an information bulletin board, that
downloads the updated information from our Network server to the local
PC, then initiate the bulletin board that is created in PowerPoint97.

I tried to use "System Agent" to schedule the shut down of PowerPoint97
then to run the batch file that I created to down load the updated
presentation file, then start PowerPoint97 again. However PowerPoint97
would not start the presentation under System Agent. the presentation
will only start automatically in the startup folder, but in order to do
that some one would have to restart windows.

I considered the option to plug the system in to a timer that would shut

the power off then restart it at a given time, but this is not a good
idea because Windows95 does file maintenance routine before it shuts
down.

What I am looking for is a way to have windows to download the new
updated files from the server then start the board unattended. the
presentation file is quite large, therefore the update can not happen
during the presentation is running.

Regards,

Nicholas

2. wrong ip after reboot

3. Auto ShutDown XP Professional - released

4. installing Quicken 2000 causes XP to disallow Stand by mode

5. IE6 - auto shutdown when I try to access a site

6. How to detect a stream with empty content at server side?

7. Auto ShutDown XP Professional - released

8. Address Bar Search Problems

9. Auto Shutdown in Professional?

10. auto shutdown

11. Auto shutdown in XP