Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......

Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......

Post by anywe » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 07:27:57

did you try connecting an external keyboard/mouse to it ?

what laptop is it ?
cheers

anyweb

--
^^
// generated by anyweb, do not modify

     http://anyweb.kicks-ass.net

Quote:> Hi
> This is my first post on this newsgroup and it's a plea for urgent help.
> If I explain what I have done maybe some kind person will help me fix
> it, if possible.

> I have a laptop with Windows XP Pro on it which I use at Uni for all my
> work. 2 days ago I installed some file security program that seemed to
> mess up my system - I think it tried to install a .sys driver file.

> Before I installed this I created a System Restore Point (as I always
> do), which I thought I could always roll-back to if things went wrong
> (which they did!) So because this program messed-up I performed a System
> Restore to the point before (it said) I installed it.

> When I rebooted, I found that at the login screen (the local one not the
> domain one) I could not use either the keyboard or mouse - neither would
> do a thing.

> So I was stuck :( I asked a few people what to do and they suggested I
> try to 'repair' windows - First I tried all the safe modes - nothing
> worked as the keyboard or mouse still were stuck.

> Then using the original install CD, I tried the repair function, but it
> only repaired the system using the last system restore point (grrrr
> which doesn't seem to work) but it did confirm it had done it and
> informed me I could restore an earlier one, etc, BUT again the keyboard
> or mouse wouldn't work so I couldn't continue :(

> Someone said 'do a new install, but change the drive & location of
> Windows'  So i did this - installed XP on the second drive [partition]
> and it does work BUT now I cannot access my original user area [c:
> \documents and settings> kirstie] on the C: drive! I can access All
> Users and Administrator there but not MY own files *crys*

> I can SEE my old user area in explorer but if I click it it says '...is
> not accessible. Access is denied' but I am logged-on as administrator on
> this laptop :( It also says [in properties] for this area ' 0 bytes, 0
> files and folders' but I had loads of stuff in there and I have not
> deleted any of them.

> PLEASE, please, if anyone knows any method at all to get this work back
> [2 years of Uni work and all my e-mails and contacts] please respond to
> me here or I can supply a usable e-mail address if someone is genuine.
> Thanks
> Kirstie *on her knees, begging*

> x-posted to
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......

Post by James Bradle » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 08:00:23

Kirstie I have exactly the same problem, see the post above.
I hope someone can help us. I need to get my files back :(

James

Post by Paul Menar » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 08:32:33

Read this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

--
Paul--
http://www.paulmenard.net/

| Hi
| This is my first post on this newsgroup and it's a plea for urgent help.
| If I explain what I have done maybe some kind person will help me fix
| it, if possible.
|
| I have a laptop with Windows XP Pro on it which I use at Uni for all my
| work. 2 days ago I installed some file security program that seemed to
| mess up my system - I think it tried to install a .sys driver file.
|
| Before I installed this I created a System Restore Point (as I always
| do), which I thought I could always roll-back to if things went wrong
| (which they did!) So because this program messed-up I performed a System
| Restore to the point before (it said) I installed it.
|
| When I rebooted, I found that at the login screen (the local one not the
| domain one) I could not use either the keyboard or mouse - neither would
| do a thing.
|
| So I was stuck :( I asked a few people what to do and they suggested I
| try to 'repair' windows - First I tried all the safe modes - nothing
| worked as the keyboard or mouse still were stuck.
|
| Then using the original install CD, I tried the repair function, but it
| only repaired the system using the last system restore point (grrrr
| which doesn't seem to work) but it did confirm it had done it and
| informed me I could restore an earlier one, etc, BUT again the keyboard
| or mouse wouldn't work so I couldn't continue :(
|
| Someone said 'do a new install, but change the drive & location of
| Windows'  So i did this - installed XP on the second drive [partition]
| and it does work BUT now I cannot access my original user area [c:
| \documents and settings> kirstie] on the C: drive! I can access All
| Users and Administrator there but not MY own files *crys*
|
| I can SEE my old user area in explorer but if I click it it says '...is
| not accessible. Access is denied' but I am logged-on as administrator on
| this laptop :( It also says [in properties] for this area ' 0 bytes, 0
| files and folders' but I had loads of stuff in there and I have not
| deleted any of them.
|
| PLEASE, please, if anyone knows any method at all to get this work back
| [2 years of Uni work and all my e-mails and contacts] please respond to
| me here or I can supply a usable e-mail address if someone is genuine.
| Thanks
| Kirstie *on her knees, begging*
|
| x-posted to
| microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
| microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......

Post by James Bradle » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 08:54:12

Hi Kirsty this is a solution I found that worked for me.
One thing though, if you dont see the security tab in properties of the
folder then you must highlight the folder, then click on tools>folder
options.
Then under view tab you must untick "use simple file sharing", then whats
written below will work. Thank god for that :)

You should be able to access your folder by logging in as the Administrator.
. at the login prompt type ctrl-alt-del twice, which will give you the
standard login prompt, from which you can log in as the Administrator
(depending on how you set up your computer, you may or may not have to type
a password there). Once you are logged in, you may first have to take
ownership of the folder: If you still cannot get access to the files in that
folder, then right-click on the folder in question, click on Properties, go
to the Security tab, and click on the Advanced button; when there, click on
the Owner tab and change the owner to Administrator. At this point you
should be able to do whatever you want with those files (like changing
permissions to give access to the user you want to access these files as).

Quote:> Hi
> This is my first post on this newsgroup and it's a plea for urgent help.
> If I explain what I have done maybe some kind person will help me fix
> it, if possible.

> I have a laptop with Windows XP Pro on it which I use at Uni for all my
> work. 2 days ago I installed some file security program that seemed to
> mess up my system - I think it tried to install a .sys driver file.

> Before I installed this I created a System Restore Point (as I always
> do), which I thought I could always roll-back to if things went wrong
> (which they did!) So because this program messed-up I performed a System
> Restore to the point before (it said) I installed it.

> When I rebooted, I found that at the login screen (the local one not the
> domain one) I could not use either the keyboard or mouse - neither would
> do a thing.

> So I was stuck :( I asked a few people what to do and they suggested I
> try to 'repair' windows - First I tried all the safe modes - nothing
> worked as the keyboard or mouse still were stuck.

> Then using the original install CD, I tried the repair function, but it
> only repaired the system using the last system restore point (grrrr
> which doesn't seem to work) but it did confirm it had done it and
> informed me I could restore an earlier one, etc, BUT again the keyboard
> or mouse wouldn't work so I couldn't continue :(

> Someone said 'do a new install, but change the drive & location of
> Windows'  So i did this - installed XP on the second drive [partition]
> and it does work BUT now I cannot access my original user area [c:
> \documents and settings> kirstie] on the C: drive! I can access All
> Users and Administrator there but not MY own files *crys*

> I can SEE my old user area in explorer but if I click it it says '...is
> not accessible. Access is denied' but I am logged-on as administrator on
> this laptop :( It also says [in properties] for this area ' 0 bytes, 0
> files and folders' but I had loads of stuff in there and I have not
> deleted any of them.

> PLEASE, please, if anyone knows any method at all to get this work back
> [2 years of Uni work and all my e-mails and contacts] please respond to
> me here or I can supply a usable e-mail address if someone is genuine.
> Thanks
> Kirstie *on her knees, begging*

> x-posted to
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......

Post by kirsti » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 09:05:31

James ....
LOL thanks for the post re the prob but I also managed to get it done
via the article Paul pointed me too :)

Hey I just got a great big warm feeling knowing that people really DO
care about others, you know....

Hugs ....... Kirstie

> Hi Kirsty this is a solution I found that worked for me.
> One thing though, if you dont see the security tab in properties of the
> folder then you must highlight the folder, then click on tools>folder
> options.
> Then under view tab you must untick "use simple file sharing", then whats
> written below will work. Thank god for that :)

> You should be able to access your folder by logging in as the Administrator.
> . at the login prompt type ctrl-alt-del twice, which will give you the
> standard login prompt, from which you can log in as the Administrator
> (depending on how you set up your computer, you may or may not have to type
> a password there). Once you are logged in, you may first have to take
> ownership of the folder: If you still cannot get access to the files in that
> folder, then right-click on the folder in question, click on Properties, go
> to the Security tab, and click on the Advanced button; when there, click on
> the Owner tab and change the owner to Administrator. At this point you
> should be able to do whatever you want with those files (like changing
> permissions to give access to the user you want to access these files as).

> > Hi
> > This is my first post on this newsgroup and it's a plea for urgent help.
> > If I explain what I have done maybe some kind person will help me fix
> > it, if possible.

> > I have a laptop with Windows XP Pro on it which I use at Uni for all my
> > work. 2 days ago I installed some file security program that seemed to
> > mess up my system - I think it tried to install a .sys driver file.

> > Before I installed this I created a System Restore Point (as I always
> > do), which I thought I could always roll-back to if things went wrong
> > (which they did!) So because this program messed-up I performed a System
> > Restore to the point before (it said) I installed it.

> > When I rebooted, I found that at the login screen (the local one not the
> > domain one) I could not use either the keyboard or mouse - neither would
> > do a thing.

> > So I was stuck :( I asked a few people what to do and they suggested I
> > try to 'repair' windows - First I tried all the safe modes - nothing
> > worked as the keyboard or mouse still were stuck.

> > Then using the original install CD, I tried the repair function, but it
> > only repaired the system using the last system restore point (grrrr
> > which doesn't seem to work) but it did confirm it had done it and
> > informed me I could restore an earlier one, etc, BUT again the keyboard
> > or mouse wouldn't work so I couldn't continue :(

Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......

Post by Tom » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 11:49:18

Just so you'll know the next time, a full re-installation of
the operating software will leave all your personal files, &
any other software you have installed that is working as it
should, just as they are if you are using XP.  I had the
wisdom to call tech support before doing anything!!

Tom J

> Kirstie I have exactly the same problem, see the post
above.
> I hope someone can help us. I need to get my files back :(

> James

> > Hi
> > This is my first post on this newsgroup and it's a plea
for urgent help.
> > If I explain what I have done maybe some kind person
will help me fix
> > it, if possible.

> > I have a laptop with Windows XP Pro on it which I use at
Uni for all my
> > work. 2 days ago I installed some file security program
that seemed to
> > mess up my system - I think it tried to install a .sys
driver file.

> > Before I installed this I created a System Restore Point
(as I always
> > do), which I thought I could always roll-back to if
things went wrong
> > (which they did!) So because this program messed-up I
performed a System
> > Restore to the point before (it said) I installed it.

> > When I rebooted, I found that at the login screen (the
local one not the
> > domain one) I could not use either the keyboard or

mouse - neither would

Quote:> > do a thing.

> > So I was stuck :( I asked a few people what to do and
they suggested I
> > try to 'repair' windows - First I tried all the safe
modes - nothing
> > worked as the keyboard or mouse still were stuck.

> > Then using the original install CD, I tried the repair
function, but it
> > only repaired the system using the last system restore
point (grrrr
> > which doesn't seem to work) but it did confirm it had
done it and
> > informed me I could restore an earlier one, etc, BUT
again the keyboard
> > or mouse wouldn't work so I couldn't continue :(

> > Someone said 'do a new install, but change the drive &
location of
> > Windows'  So i did this - installed XP on the second
drive [partition]
> > and it does work BUT now I cannot access my original
user area [c:
> > \documents and settings> kirstie] on the C: drive! I can
access All
> > Users and Administrator there but not MY own files
*crys*

> > I can SEE my old user area in explorer but if I click it
it says '...is
> > not accessible. Access is denied' but I am logged-on as
administrator on
> > this laptop :( It also says [in properties] for this
area ' 0 bytes, 0
> > files and folders' but I had loads of stuff in there and
I have not
> > deleted any of them.

> > PLEASE, please, if anyone knows any method at all to get
this work back
> > [2 years of Uni work and all my e-mails and contacts]
please respond to
> > me here or I can supply a usable e-mail address if
someone is genuine.
> > Thanks
> > Kirstie *on her knees, begging*

> > x-posted to
> > microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
> > microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......

Post by neil » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 19:48:36

Using the "Help and Support" search for "take ownership" and see if that
helps. I am not familiar with whatever the security s/w is you have used and
recovering your original system may be difficult, but this could help you
get your work back.

Just as a note, when you use the CD to recover you have to work through the
menus to the point where you install a new instance of XP then this will
detect your original system and ask if you want to repair at this stage.
Unfortunately I cannot remember the exact menus, you can only see them when
you use them.

good luck
Neil

Quote:> Hi
> This is my first post on this newsgroup and it's a plea for urgent help.
> If I explain what I have done maybe some kind person will help me fix
> it, if possible.

> I have a laptop with Windows XP Pro on it which I use at Uni for all my
> work. 2 days ago I installed some file security program that seemed to
> mess up my system - I think it tried to install a .sys driver file.

> Before I installed this I created a System Restore Point (as I always
> do), which I thought I could always roll-back to if things went wrong
> (which they did!) So because this program messed-up I performed a System
> Restore to the point before (it said) I installed it.

> When I rebooted, I found that at the login screen (the local one not the
> domain one) I could not use either the keyboard or mouse - neither would
> do a thing.

> So I was stuck :( I asked a few people what to do and they suggested I
> try to 'repair' windows - First I tried all the safe modes - nothing
> worked as the keyboard or mouse still were stuck.

> Then using the original install CD, I tried the repair function, but it
> only repaired the system using the last system restore point (grrrr
> which doesn't seem to work) but it did confirm it had done it and
> informed me I could restore an earlier one, etc, BUT again the keyboard
> or mouse wouldn't work so I couldn't continue :(

> Someone said 'do a new install, but change the drive & location of
> Windows'  So i did this - installed XP on the second drive [partition]
> and it does work BUT now I cannot access my original user area [c:
> \documents and settings> kirstie] on the C: drive! I can access All
> Users and Administrator there but not MY own files *crys*

> I can SEE my old user area in explorer but if I click it it says '...is
> not accessible. Access is denied' but I am logged-on as administrator on
> this laptop :( It also says [in properties] for this area ' 0 bytes, 0
> files and folders' but I had loads of stuff in there and I have not
> deleted any of them.

> PLEASE, please, if anyone knows any method at all to get this work back
> [2 years of Uni work and all my e-mails and contacts] please respond to
> me here or I can supply a usable e-mail address if someone is genuine.
> Thanks
> Kirstie *on her knees, begging*

> x-posted to
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......

Post by Dann » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 07:00:06

Holy Smokes!  A great story!  Looks like Paul scored a few points with
Kirsty.  Good job Paul!

Kirsty, I'm a computer moron who has a super good computer but I've learned
to*it up and have gotten myself into so much trouble you wouldn't
believe it.  Wait a minute, I guess you WOULD believe it because I've never
been in as much trouble as you were.  But there is no doubt about it, this
is the place to be if you need help.

I've been bailed out more times than I care to remember by good people on
this newsgroup.  Congratulations to you and Paul and the others who posted
to your plea.  Well done.

Best Regards,

Danno

> > Read this http://www.veryComputer.com/;en-us;308421

> > --
> > Paul--
> > http://www.veryComputer.com/

> <snipped>

> OMG! OMG! .......... it WORKED!!

> PAUL - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH :) :) :)

> Paul, You are a wonderful darling for that article - I would never have
> found it! I hope my thanks bring a little happiness to your day and your
> life - because you really deserve it!

> You would not beleive how frantic [and tearful] I got about my work -
> 4.7GB and 2 years worth I thought I had lost forever *sighs* ...

> Now, Hmmm, I think I should get a CD burner and a pile of RW's

> ... and for James too - Follow that article and you will recover your
> data too if you had the same problem!

Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......

Post by Roger Swalen » Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:51:20

you should adjust yoyr PC's clock current date is not 31 12 2002

roger
--

> did you try connecting an external keyboard/mouse to it ?

> what laptop is it ?
> cheers

> anyweb

> --
> ^^
> // generated by anyweb, do not modify

>      http://anyweb.kicks-ass.net

> > Hi
> > This is my first post on this newsgroup and it's a plea for urgent help.
> > If I explain what I have done maybe some kind person will help me fix
> > it, if possible.

> > I have a laptop with Windows XP Pro on it which I use at Uni for all my
> > work. 2 days ago I installed some file security program that seemed to
> > mess up my system - I think it tried to install a .sys driver file.

> > Before I installed this I created a System Restore Point (as I always
> > do), which I thought I could always roll-back to if things went wrong
> > (which they did!) So because this program messed-up I performed a System
> > Restore to the point before (it said) I installed it.

> > When I rebooted, I found that at the login screen (the local one not the
> > domain one) I could not use either the keyboard or mouse - neither would
> > do a thing.

> > So I was stuck :( I asked a few people what to do and they suggested I
> > try to 'repair' windows - First I tried all the safe modes - nothing
> > worked as the keyboard or mouse still were stuck.

> > Then using the original install CD, I tried the repair function, but it
> > only repaired the system using the last system restore point (grrrr
> > which doesn't seem to work) but it did confirm it had done it and
> > informed me I could restore an earlier one, etc, BUT again the keyboard
> > or mouse wouldn't work so I couldn't continue :(

> > Someone said 'do a new install, but change the drive & location of
> > Windows'  So i did this - installed XP on the second drive [partition]
> > and it does work BUT now I cannot access my original user area [c:
> > \documents and settings> kirstie] on the C: drive! I can access All
> > Users and Administrator there but not MY own files *crys*

> > I can SEE my old user area in explorer but if I click it it says '...is
> > not accessible. Access is denied' but I am logged-on as administrator on
> > this laptop :( It also says [in properties] for this area ' 0 bytes, 0
> > files and folders' but I had loads of stuff in there and I have not
> > deleted any of them.

> > PLEASE, please, if anyone knows any method at all to get this work back
> > [2 years of Uni work and all my e-mails and contacts] please respond to
> > me here or I can supply a usable e-mail address if someone is genuine.
> > Thanks
> > Kirstie *on her knees, begging*

> > x-posted to
> > microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
> > microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

1. HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE

Hello,

I am having a problem which I don't quite understand.

I recently used my COMPAQ RECOVERY CD and restarted my
computer back to it's original factory settings.

Since then, when I got back on the Internet I can no
longer play on Yahoo games. (www.yahoo.com/games) It
gives me 4 reasons:

1) You are behind a firewall.
2) You are not connected to the internet.
3) The server is down.
4) You have a stale page in your cache.

I was connected to the Internet, the server was not down,
I have erased all of the pages in my cache, so that leads
me to one conclusion, the firewall.

Also, I have been unable to go into chatrooms, I can use
the Yahoo chatrooms, but at the start of a chatroom it
says "You cannot use Voice in this chat because you are
behind a firewall" or something very similar to that.
Some other chatrooms do not work. (www.rimestimes.com,
www.leannfans.com)

I have not done anything to change anything as far as I
know, can someone please help me?

I have tried checking the Firewall box on my connections
in the `Advanced` tab and it still doesn't work either
way.

Can someone tell me what I need to do, in a simple way if
you can.

Thanx.

~Michael~

2. My modem won't stay connected

3. Poledit, Please read, Please, Please, Please

4. help on file uploading form

5. please please please help!!!!!

6. Help Win32 error with v6.0

7. -->PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with Audio Logic 2.6<--

8. CListCtrl column resizing not reflected

9. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

10. Please Please Please Help

11. Please please please help!

12. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP

13. Error Screen - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help