Change screen resolution while switching user

Change screen resolution while switching user

Post by Ron » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:33:20

When I logon for my daughters account I would like to start with a 800x600
resolution while I like to have 1280x1024 for mine.
However it looks like whatever resolution I use when I switch user I take
the resolution with me.
Any ideas

Ron

Change screen resolution while switching user

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:50:40

This is a known issue.

--
Doug Knox, Microsoft MVP MPS-D
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

> When I logon for my daughters account I would like to start with a 800x600
> resolution while I like to have 1280x1024 for mine.
> However it looks like whatever resolution I use when I switch user I take
> the resolution with me.
> Any ideas

> Ron

Change screen resolution while switching user

Post by y_not » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:54:22

XP supports only one res per machine. it's not a per-user setting. :(

Quote:> When I logon for my daughters account I would like to start with a 800x600

Post by don lebo » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:39:47

Quote:Ron writes:
>When I logon for my daughters account I would like to start with a 800x600
>resolution while I like to have 1280x1024 for mine.
>However it looks like whatever resolution I use when I switch user I take
>the resolution with me.
>Any ideas

A third party workaround you can check...

Multires, available at http://168.144.101.149/files/multires.exe works in XP,
and can be used to set screen resolution, color depth, and refresh rate.

It's also possible to run it in a non-resident command mode in a batch file.
There's more info on that at http://www.entechtaiwan.com/multires.htm

So, you can use it to set startup resolutions by creating a .cmd file and
placing it in each user's profile.

--
   don (MVP-DTS)
   http://www.shaka.com/~mdon

   Please follow up to the group ... thanks!

Post by Stephane Barizie » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 05:51:51

Quote:> When I logon for my daughters account I would like to start with a 800x600
> resolution while I like to have 1280x1024 for mine.
> However it looks like whatever resolution I use when I switch user I take
> the resolution with me.
> Any ideas

> Ron

Not with out-of-the box tools; I'm writing an applet that will make this
possible. Drop me a note if you're interested, I'm looking for testers ;-)

--

-------------------
Stephane Barizien

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove 'NOSPAM' to get it right (I hate spammers).
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Help screen resolution (change screen resolution)

dear everyone
i have a major problem with win xp i changed the
resolution of my screen from windows and now my screens
turns up for a while and then turns of bacause it says the
screen resolution doesnt much i cant even see the start up
or anythin is it possible to change the resolution before
log on. please help??
ps i used to have 800 * something
              and 1024 * something
and then change it to higher and....you know the rest

2. Windows Installer Patch Files -- safe to delete?

3. fast user-switching + resolution change

4. Windows Messaging instability in NT 4.0

5. XP Pro screen resolution and user switching

6. backup process on XP home

7. Program for Changing Screen Resolution without User Intervention

8. start button right click won't work.

9. Screen resolution changes for ALL users

10. Screen resolution change applied to all users?

11. one user's screen resolution changes effect all?

12. Changing screen resolution to one user only.

13. Cool way to restrict users from changing screen resolution?