Can't stop modem with internet connection sharing

Can't stop modem with internet connection sharing

Post by David JD Bel » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:23:20

I got a LAN with ICS working really well between an XP & ME machine
(actually the wizard did it for me - really painless). The only problem now
is I can't stop the XP machine connecting with the internet (it runs the
shared modem). It wants to be connected all day, even when there are no web
aps working on either machine. I don't want the phone line hogged by my
internet connection.

Can anybody tell me how to stop this. There used to be an Ask before
Connecting dialog in Win98.

Thanks in Advance

David Bell

Can't stop modem with internet connection sharing

Post by Kent W. England XP MV » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 04:27:39

You should be able to hangup the modem from the client. You can also put
the client "offline" to try to stop dialing.

Otherwise, you have to find the application (such as Messenger) that is
staying online all the time.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

Quote:> I got a LAN with ICS working really well between an XP & ME machine
> (actually the wizard did it for me - really painless). The only
problem now
> is I can't stop the XP machine connecting with the internet (it runs
the
> shared modem). It wants to be connected all day, even when there are
no web
> aps working on either machine. I don't want the phone line hogged by
my
> internet connection.

> Can anybody tell me how to stop this. There used to be an Ask before
> Connecting dialog in Win98.

> Thanks in Advance

> David Bell

Can't stop modem with internet connection sharing

Post by JW » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:00:28

In View Network Connections -> Advanced -> Dial-up preferences I disabled
autodial - works for me.

Quote:> I got a LAN with ICS working really well between an XP & ME machine
> (actually the wizard did it for me - really painless). The only problem
now
> is I can't stop the XP machine connecting with the internet (it runs the
> shared modem). It wants to be connected all day, even when there are no
web
> aps working on either machine. I don't want the phone line hogged by my
> internet connection.

> Can anybody tell me how to stop this. There used to be an Ask before
> Connecting dialog in Win98.

> Thanks in Advance

> David Bell

1. Internet Connection Sharing doesn't work when VPN is used on the shared connection

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) doesn't work when VPN is used on the
shared connection.

Machine WinXP is the ICS host, machine Win98 is the ICS client.  When VPN is
enabled on the shared internet connection on WinXP, Win98 can no longer
connect to the internet.  Is there a way to correct this?

An Microsft knowledge base article mentioned that there is no way around
this, and you have to use VPN on ICS client machine.  But I really need to
use VPN on ICS host machine.

Thanks.

2. Administrator Privileges

3. Modem Sharing (not Internet Connection Sharing)

4. Calculator

5. Internet Connection Firewall (Internet Connection Sharing version) blocks Remote Desktop Web connection

6. Best TCP/IP software?

7. Can't use the Internet after setting up Internet Connection Sharing

8. Forcing My Computer to display on the Desktop

9. Worrisome Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall problem

10. Internet Connection Sharing Kills Internet Connection

11. Sharing modem internet connection with Mac OSX

12. Sharing a cable modem internet connection via Homeclick

13. Modem and internet connection sharing?