o hard drive o hard drive where art thou hard drive?

o hard drive o hard drive where art thou hard drive?

Post by Mbandgee » Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:34:13

I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
configuration of Jumper settings.
It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.

I have Xp Home W/SP2

I appreciate all the help i can get.

--
Mbandgeek

o hard drive o hard drive where art thou hard drive?

Post by RonK » Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:13:45

You need to set it up in Disk Management.

Right click  My Computer,, Manage,  Disk management.

Quote:

> I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
> everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
> configuration of Jumper settings.
> It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.

> I have Xp Home W/SP2

> I appreciate all the help i can get.

> --
> Mbandgeek

o hard drive o hard drive where art thou hard drive?

Post by Damo » Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:41:36

What he means it that you need to format it.
Damo

> You need to set it up in Disk Management.

> Right click  My Computer,, Manage,  Disk management.

>> I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
>> everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
>> configuration of Jumper settings.
>> It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.

>> I have Xp Home W/SP2

>> I appreciate all the help i can get.

>> --
>> Mbandgeek

o hard drive o hard drive where art thou hard drive?

well, yes and no...

Post by Anna » Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:40:35

>> What he means it that you need to format it.
>> Damo

>>> You need to set it up in Disk Management.

>>> Right click  My Computer,, Manage,  Disk management.

Quote:> well, yes and no...

Mbandgeek:
Notwithstanding "barry's" cryptic comment, I would guess that Ron's
recommendation is correct. It's a very common occurrence among users who
purchase a brand-new hard drive, install it in their computer, and then
wonder why it's not "seen" by the system.

Understand that if you've connected/configured the drive properly, as
apparently you have, the disk *will* be recognized by your motherboard's
BIOS and even in Device Manager. But that does not mean that the operating
system will recognize it. As Ron points out you must partition & format that
drive before it is usable.

And forget about the fact that it doesn't "come up as an icon". After you've
partitioned/formatted the drive, check in My Computer and/or Windows
Explorer to ensure the drive is recognized.

Now, having said all that -- if you *have* correctly
connected/configured/partitioned/formatted the disk and it still isn't being
recognized by the OS, that's a different problem...
Anna

Post by Plat » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 06:01:01

> I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
> everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
> configuration of Jumper settings.
> It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.

Partition it, then format it.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/