What's this?

Post by Bilbo Baggin » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 05:50:00

Can anyone tell me what Generic Host Process for Win32 Services is, and why
it should want to connect to the internet? Is this one of Bill Gates's
funnies so he can see what's on my computer?

Bilbo

What's this?

Post by hutc » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:07:05

you might chk this out - fr help and support/
search - 'generic host process' -
A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
note
it 'hosts more than 40 pgms'

hth
God Bless
hutch

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Can anyone tell me what Generic Host Process for Win32

Services is, and why
Quote:>it should want to connect to the internet? Is this one
of Bill Gates's
>funnies so he can see what's on my computer?

>Bilbo

>.

What's this?

Post by Lee C » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:04:38

Is this one of Bill Gates's
funnies so he can see what's on my computer?

Yep, that's how he can tell what updates you need when you go to the update site and want to update your computer.

It does several other things too--very few of them malicious.

In general; it's not anything to be worried about.

What's this?

Post by Alex Nicho » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:24:26

>Can anyone tell me what Generic Host Process for Win32 Services is, and why
>it should want to connect to the internet?

It is there in support of some windows services that you might want to
use while connected, for things you want to do.  Allow it access, but
not as a Server.

--
Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)

1. Computer starts writing '''''''''''''

I suddenly have the following strange problem: in almost
any empty space in the operating system where you are
supposed to write your name, a password, a phone number,
etc. (e.g. in the dial-up window, or when installing a new
dial-up connection) my computer starts writing a row of
''''''' (very rapidly). What is this? I have also lately
had problems with loading the operating system when
starting up (computer freezes).

2. Runner Error

3. Yellow '?' and '!' problem in 'Device Manager'.

4. Problems running any sample coming with VB5CE

5. where is 'ftp', 'gopher', 'telnet'

6. "Page can not be displayed"

7. An Example of Microsoft's 'Committment' to 'Security' in email

8. Outlook Express Identity Identifier (OEII)

9. Help - 'Home' can't print to shared printer on 'Pro'

11. 'User's Documents' folder missing under 'My Computer'

12. 'display properties > desktop' doesn't have pictures from 'my pictures'

13. NT Resource Kit, why 'ls', 'cat', etc won't run?