enabling DMA for the DVD drive

Post by salman jawai » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:57:37

Hi,

I've been trying to enable the DMA for my DVD drive...But Windows always
assigns it the PIO mode.  Is there a way that I can modify some entry in the
registry to enable DMA for the DVD drive?

Many thanks for your help.
salman

enabling DMA for the DVD drive

Post by Dan Corba » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 04:23:43

I assume that you have already went into Device Manager and set the option
on the drive controller to say "use DMA if available".

Note that WinXP will automatically force DMA disabled if it detects 5 DMA
transfer errors. It keeps track of the errors for the life of the OS, and
will force DMA disabled once it detects 5 errors. Once this happens, the DMA
option in Device Manager will have no effect.

I would try deleting the IDE controller from Device Manager, then either
refresh the Device Manager, or reboot to allow WinXP to redetect and
reinstall the device drivers. This will "reset" any possible error counter
(and maybe some other things) that could be causing DMA to be disabled.

Quote:> Hi,