ICS-network client cannot reach some websites

ICS-network client cannot reach some websites

Post by Harry Rosco » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:35:08

Interesting problem.  We have an XP network set up with
Internet connection sharing.  The host computer can reach
all web sites but the client has a problem.  The client
has connection to the web and can reach most sites but
cannot reach some other sites.  They are the same sites
consistently.  The client gets a page not displayed
message.  We have fiddled with MTU and IP settings to no
avail.  We have deleted cookies to no avail.  One
particular website is vacations.lycos.com if someone
wants to replicate the problem.  Interesting note also:
The same thing happens on my home network with ICS.
Appreciate any help.  If you post a reply, please copy me
on my email.  Thank you

ICS-network client cannot reach some websites

Post by Impetu » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:27:01

I'm having the same problem.

I also have intermittent trouble checking a pop e-mail account with the
client.

No solution yet.

Quote:> Interesting problem.  We have an XP network set up with

Post by Steve Winogra » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:08:54

>Interesting problem.  We have an XP network set up with
>Internet connection sharing.  The host computer can reach
>all web sites but the client has a problem.  The client
>has connection to the web and can reach most sites but
>cannot reach some other sites.  They are the same sites
>consistently.  The client gets a page not displayed
>message.  We have fiddled with MTU and IP settings to no
>avail.  We have deleted cookies to no avail.  One
>particular website is vacations.lycos.com if someone
>wants to replicate the problem.  Interesting note a

Do you have a DSL connection using PPPoE?  Many people have reported
success after installing RASPPPoE and using it instead of XP's PPPoE
client on the host:

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

for everyone to see.  I will not reply to E-mail or news group
messages addressed directly to me.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Post by Hans-Georg Michn » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:26:18

>Interesting problem.  We have an XP network set up with
>Internet connection sharing.  The host computer can reach
>all web sites but the client has a problem.  The client
>has connection to the web and can reach most sites but
>cannot reach some other sites.  They are the same sites
>consistently.  The client gets a page not displayed
>message.  We have fiddled with MTU and IP settings to no
>avail.  We have deleted cookies to no avail.  One
>particular website is vacations.lycos.com if someone
>wants to replicate the problem.  Interesting note also:
>The same thing happens on my home network with ICS.
>Appreciate any help.  If you post a reply, please copy me
>on my email.  Thank you

Harry,

it does look like the classic MTU problem. Try RASPPPoE, as
Steve already recommended.

Normally you would have to change the MTU setting on the client
to circumvent this particular problem, which is well known.

For that you can download DrTCP from www.dslreports.com.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

ICS-network client cannot reach some websites

Post by Impetu » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:51:30

hmmm, MTU did not work? Did you attempt to change to RASPPPoE on the host?

Let me know, because I have the same problem............

It is possible that this is an MTU problem--this would explain why it
doesn't happen with the direct modem connection.

It is unlikely to be the ICF--this doesn't need any configuration at all for
Windowsupdate.

There's a problem with MTU settings on ICS clients when the ICS host is an
XP machine and the DSL connection uses PPPoE to exchange user/password
credentials with the ISP.  If this matches your situation, this is most
easily fixed by substituting the freeware RASPPPoE protocol for Microsoft's
PPPoE protocol on the XP ICS host.

RASPPPoE can be found here:

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/

Here's what Kent W. England has to say about this issue:
I would recommend RASPPPOE in this situation. It solves the problem
neatly. Otherwise, you can set the MTU like so:

If you are using Windows ICS with a PPPoE adapter, ICS breaks the path
MTU discovery mechanism. You need to determine the correct, smaller, MTU
that the ICS clients should use for that particular PPPoE encapsulation
and then manually set the interface MTU in each ICS client.

There is a new KB article with a correct procedure for finding the MTU
you require. "Diagnoses and Treatment of Black Hole Routers (Q159211)"
at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q159/2/11.ASP. Do
not use other KB articles as they are incorrect.

To change the client MTU for Win2K/XP machines:
1.   Run REGEDIT or REGEDT32.
2.   Go to
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces.
3.   Find the branch with the interface ID that corresponds to the NIC
your ICS client uses on the home network. It should contain a
192.168.0.x IP address and a string value named DhcpDomain set to
"mshome.net".
4.   Within this branch, create a new Dword value named "MTU" and give
it the value as determined by your ping tests.
5.   Disable and enable the client's network card and attempt to access
the web resources again.

For Win9x machines:
1.   Using the Network control panel, if necessary, set a static IP
address on the network card that you use to connect to the ICS server.
This address is only temporary; make it easy to remember so you can
recognize it later. Close the control panel and do not reboot when
prompted.
2.   Run REGEDIT.
3.   Go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\000n,
where n is the instance # which contains a string named "IPAddress" with
a value that matches the static IP address you entered in step 1.
4.   Create a new DWORD value named "MaxMTU" with a value as determined
by your ping tests.
5.   Re-open the Network control panel and set the network adapter back
to its original configuration, if necessary.
6.   Reboot when prompted and attempt to access the web resources again.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

> Hi,
>     I have an IBM Thinkpad 380XD Laptop connected to an HP Pavilion 7940
> sharing a DSL connection. I am pretty sure my problem is that I need to
open
> a port in the firewall as the problem is not there when Laptop connects
via
> modem. The problem arises when going to Windows Update site and selecting
an
> update to download. The dialog box comes up that lets you see the download
> progress, but the progress never changes and it will not time out, I have
> use CAD to end the process. Does anyone know the ports I need to open so
> Windows Update will work correctly?
> The Laptop is running Windows ME and the HP is running XP Pro. I do not
have
> a problem using Update on the HP machine, only with the Laptop connecting
> through the HP machine over the shared connection.

> Any help is appreciated.

> --
> Michael Doughty

> ICQ# 4011362

Quote:> Interesting problem.  We have an XP network set up with
> Internet connection sharing.  The host computer can reach
> all web sites but the client has a problem.  The client
> has connection to the web and can reach most sites but
> cannot reach some other sites.  They are the same sites
> consistently.  The client gets a page not displayed
> message.  We have fiddled with MTU and IP settings to no
> avail.  We have deleted cookies to no avail.  One
> particular website is vacations.lycos.com if someone
> wants to replicate the problem.  Interesting note also:
> The same thing happens on my home network with ICS.
> Appreciate any help.  If you post a reply, please copy me
> on my email.  Thank you

1. Adding an XP as an ICS client to an existing 98SE ICS network - how??

Is it possible to add an XP (Home) computer as an ICS client to an existing
network where the ICS host continues to be a Win98SE? I am about to lose
hope. I have managed to get file and printer sharing working, by installing
Netbeui on the XP, but can not use ICS from the XP. I have run wizards and
tinkered with every setting I can think of, to no avail. The other client,
an old Win95osr2, accesses the Internet through the ICS host very well. The
host has a cable modem.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Robert

2. batch encoding problem

3. Cannot reach special websites

4. Sound Conversion HELLLL.... P!!!!!!!!

5. ICS XP,works but the client can't access ISP website and mail

6. Need Good Book(s) Any Ideas ?

7. ICS Client PC unable to open websites

8. Windows 95 Windows Protection Error - Cannot Boot

9. ICS XP,works but the client can't access ISP website and mai

10. Client computers can't access certain websites under ICS

11. ICS HOST IE cannot access internet but CLIENTS can

12. ICS client browser cannot access all sites but host browser can

13. Cannot control ICS connexion from client