How do you enable / disabled DMA on cd/dvd drives ?

How do you enable / disabled DMA on cd/dvd drives ?

Post by Stephen Sherwi » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 05:27:40

cd writer is locking out during burn process
when i first got pc (year ago) had same problem so they got me to
change dma setting (on win me)

now on xp and can't remember what to do!

Thanks again
--
Stephen Sherwin

How do you enable / disabled DMA on cd/dvd drives ?

Post by Jason Tsan » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 05:51:27

To see how to turn on DMA, see this page.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q247426

Note these instructions only apply if you are using the default Hard drive
controller drivers.

If you have replace them with third party drivers (from Intel or Via or
whatnot), the instructions will vary (see their instructions).

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpawardintro

Find out about the Windows XP Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> cd writer is locking out during burn process
> when i first got pc (year ago) had same problem so they got me to
> change dma setting (on win me)

> now on xp and can't remember what to do!

> Thanks again
> --
> Stephen Sherwin

How do you enable / disabled DMA on cd/dvd drives ?

Post by Stephen Sherwi » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:17:09

Thanks that article did the trick!

i wasn`t 100% sure what i was doing but after a few tries i had to
enable the second device on secondary ide control as pio

and i managed to burn a cd again

so a big thank you :-)

all i need now is the resolution of the dvd rom that plays movies but
won`t
read cd`s or dvd rom software!

Quote:

>To see how to turn on DMA, see this page.

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q247426

>Note these instructions only apply if you are using the default Hard drive
>controller drivers.

>If you have replace them with third party drivers (from Intel or Via or
>whatnot), the instructions will vary (see their instructions).

--
Stephen Sherwin

How do you enable / disabled DMA on cd/dvd drives ?

Post by Arge » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:05:54

I just built a new system and took the CDRW and DVD from my old CP system
and moved them to the new XP system and went to the IDE/ATA/ATAPI controller
section of the Device Manager to enable the DMA mode if available and the
option is not there.

After messing with it for a couple of days I finally decided to burn a CD
and work on the Internet at the same time.  It did not slow my Internet
activity (On the first system it brought Internet activity to a stop in PIO
mode) down at all so I know it is enabled, but it is driving me nuts trying
to find a way to make the option show in Device Manager.

Any suggestions

Thanks
Bob

To see how to turn on DMA, see this page.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q247426

Note these instructions only apply if you are using the default Hard drive
controller drivers.

If you have replace them with third party drivers (from Intel or Via or
whatnot), the instructions will vary (see their instructions).

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpawardintro

Find out about the Windows XP Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Quote:> cd writer is locking out during burn process
> when i first got pc (year ago) had same problem so they got me to
> change dma setting (on win me)

> now on xp and can't remember what to do!

> Thanks again
> --
> Stephen Sherwin

How do you enable / disabled DMA on cd/dvd drives ?

Post by CJ » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:45:47

In WinME -and- WinXP if your drives (HDD and CD-R / RW) are DMA
compatible then DMA is turned on by default and there is now "enable DMA
checkbox" as in Win9x

--

73 / DX de AB7SL - Charles
AB7SL - Ham Radio Pages

> I just built a new system and took the CDRW and DVD from my old CP
system
> and moved them to the new XP system and went to the IDE/ATA/ATAPI
controller
> section of the Device Manager to enable the DMA mode if available and
the
> option is not there.

> After messing with it for a couple of days I finally decided to burn a
CD
> and work on the Internet at the same time.  It did not slow my
Internet
> activity (On the first system it brought Internet activity to a stop
in PIO
> mode) down at all so I know it is enabled, but it is driving me nuts
trying
> to find a way to make the option show in Device Manager.

> Any suggestions

> Thanks
> Bob

> To see how to turn on DMA, see this page.

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q247426

> Note these instructions only apply if you are using the default Hard
drive
> controller drivers.

> If you have replace them with third party drivers (from Intel or Via
or
> whatnot), the instructions will vary (see their instructions).

> --
> Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpawardintro

> Find out about the Windows XP Expert Zone -
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > cd writer is locking out during burn process
> > when i first got pc (year ago) had same problem so they got me to
> > change dma setting (on win me)

> > now on xp and can't remember what to do!

> > Thanks again
> > --
> > Stephen Sherwin

How do you enable / disabled DMA on cd/dvd drives ?

Post by Arge » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 05:54:26

You are right - never fix what is not broken, but I was still curious as
what was controlling that feature.  From another post it appears as though
the Intel application Accelerator controls it

Bob

It only appears if you are using the inbuilt Microsoft drivers.  If you
have third party ones (including I think the VIA 4 in one) they assume
you mean you want DMA as you installed them and give no option.

It seems yours is working - so don't try to fix!

--
Alex Nichol MVP (DTS)

Check out:'How to make a good newsgroup post'at
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

1. Can't enable DMA for DVD drive

hi

I have an Asus DVD-E616 dvd drive and i'm stuck to PIO
mode although i've selected 'dma if availabe'. I've tried
to do select PIO, then click ok, then go back to DMA (as
microsoft described) but it doesn't help. I've also
uninstalled the drive and reintalled but nothing.

It's intalled as secondary slave. The secondary master is
a CD-r unit and it has dma enabled. On the primary
channel everything is ok. Mainboard is an Asus a7v133
with a via kt133 chipset with updated drivers. The dvd
has no drivers - besides the ones windows installs...I'm
running XP

when viewing DVD's the picture is jerky, sound has a lot
of clpping (even with 2 diferent sound cards) and the cpu
is always above 90% usage. When I insert a data cd in
this drive, while it's being accessed the computer gets
slow and even the mouse pointer get's jerky. That doen't
happen with the CD-R drive.

Everything was ok (including the dvd playback) until a
while ago when I started noticing what I just described
(don't know what I did wrong at that point..if i did
anything wrong). so I assume the DMA was enabled until
sometime ago(although i'm not sure)

please help! It's impossible to watch dvd's like this!

thanks

2. How does one find out what caused Windows to hang?

3. enabling DMA for the DVD drive

4. Where is the Microsoft FTP site

5. How to enable DMA on a DVD drive?

6. Hard Disk problem

7. re-enable DMA mode easily on a dvd drive?

8. Installing XP

9. Enabling DMA on a DVD drive

10. Reactivating Dead DVD/CDRW Drive By Switching DMA-PIO-DMA Mode

11. Enabling DMA for CD-Rom/CDR Drives????

12. cd drive f (DVD/CD-ROM) and cd drive e (CD-RW)

13. DVD drive enable/disable issue