XP Home - boot question

Post by Mike Barnar » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 07:35:47

Hi.

When my PC boots up I get the loverly screen with the moving band of
green.  But, it pauses.  For a lonnnnnnng time.  Then continues.

This makes booting take forever, so is there any way of having the
system display exactly what it is doing on screen?  Maybe a bit like a
DOS screen where the bat files display a message saying what they are
doing?

Or is there a log file that I can examine to see what was happening
during the boot up, with timings so I can see what was the holdup?

I guess the system is looking for something or waiting for something
to respond, but without knowing what it is I can't tweak it, can I!

Thanks and Happy Crimble and have a great new year, etc.

--
Mike Barnard, Worthing, UK.

AMD 1700+ on Soltek SL-75DRV2. K4 bios.
512meg PC2100 RAM
Creative Geforce3 200Ti. NVidea 41.09 XP drivers
Barracuda IV 60gig (C)
IBM 30gig HD (D)
Creative CDRW 8432E (E)
Hitachi 32x CD drive (F)
Jessops CompactFlash card reader (G)
Creative Audigy soundcard
Sirocco Crossfire amp, speakers and subwoofer
Phillips 17" (107S) Monitor
Windows XP Home - registered - SP1
Diamond Supramax 56k USB modem

(Remove my TROUSERS spamblock to reply by email)

XP Home - boot question

Post by Michael Steven » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 07:42:51

Quote:> Hi.

> When my PC boots up I get the loverly screen with the moving band of
> green.  But, it pauses.  For a lonnnnnnng time.  Then continues.

> This makes booting take forever, so is there any way of having the
> system display exactly what it is doing on screen?  Maybe a bit like a
> DOS screen where the bat files display a message saying what they are
> doing?

> Or is there a log file that I can examine to see what was happening
> during the boot up, with timings so I can see what was the holdup?

> I guess the system is looking for something or waiting for something
> to respond, but without knowing what it is I can't tweak it, can I!

> Thanks and Happy Crimble and have a great new year, etc.

> --
> Mike Barnard, Worthing, UK.

> AMD 1700+ on Soltek SL-75DRV2. K4 bios.
> 512meg PC2100 RAM
> Creative Geforce3 200Ti. NVidea 41.09 XP drivers
> Barracuda IV 60gig (C)
> IBM 30gig HD (D)
> Creative CDRW 8432E (E)
> Hitachi 32x CD drive (F)
> Jessops CompactFlash card reader (G)
> Creative Audigy soundcard
> Sirocco Crossfire amp, speakers and subwoofer
> Phillips 17" (107S) Monitor
> Windows XP Home - registered - SP1
> Diamond Supramax 56k USB modem

> (Remove my TROUSERS spamblock to reply by email)

Download and run Bootvis
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/BootVis.asp
You can analyze your boot processes and determine what is causing the hang.
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com

XP Home - boot question

Post by Mike Barnar » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 07:56:42

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 14:42:51 -0800, "Michael Stevens"

>Download and run Bootvis
>http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/BootVis.asp
>You can analyze your boot processes and determine what is causing the hang.

Hi.  V.quick answer, thanks! :)

BootVis is on my desktop already, and I'll be having some fun with it.
Thanks.

--
Mike Barnard, Worthing, UK.

AMD 1700+ on Soltek SL-75DRV2. K4 bios.
512meg PC2100 RAM
Creative Geforce3 200Ti. NVidea 41.09 XP drivers
Barracuda IV 60gig (C)
IBM 30gig HD (D)
Creative CDRW 8432E (E)
Hitachi 32x CD drive (F)
Jessops CompactFlash card reader (G)
Creative Audigy soundcard
Sirocco Crossfire amp, speakers and subwoofer
Phillips 17" (107S) Monitor
Windows XP Home - registered - SP1
Diamond Supramax 56k USB modem

(Remove my TROUSERS spamblock to reply by email)

XP Home - boot question

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 08:20:51

Mike,

You can edit BOOT.INI to get rid of the splash screen.

Open BOOT.INI in Notepad and add the /SOS switch to the end of the line that loads XP.   Example:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /SOS
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

> Hi.

> When my PC boots up I get the loverly screen with the moving band of
> green.  But, it pauses.  For a lonnnnnnng time.  Then continues.

> This makes booting take forever, so is there any way of having the
> system display exactly what it is doing on screen?  Maybe a bit like a
> DOS screen where the bat files display a message saying what they are
> doing?

> Or is there a log file that I can examine to see what was happening
> during the boot up, with timings so I can see what was the holdup?

> I guess the system is looking for something or waiting for something
> to respond, but without knowing what it is I can't tweak it, can I!

> Thanks and Happy Crimble and have a great new year, etc.

> --
> Mike Barnard, Worthing, UK.

> AMD 1700+ on Soltek SL-75DRV2. K4 bios.
> 512meg PC2100 RAM
> Creative Geforce3 200Ti. NVidea 41.09 XP drivers
> Barracuda IV 60gig (C)
> IBM 30gig HD (D)
> Creative CDRW 8432E (E)
> Hitachi 32x CD drive (F)
> Jessops CompactFlash card reader (G)
> Creative Audigy soundcard
> Sirocco Crossfire amp, speakers and subwoofer
> Phillips 17" (107S) Monitor
> Windows XP Home - registered - SP1
> Diamond Supramax 56k USB modem

> (Remove my TROUSERS spamblock to reply by email)

XP Home - boot question

Post by Mike Barnar » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 09:02:18

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 18:20:51 -0500, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"

>Mike,

>You can edit BOOT.INI to get rid of the splash screen.

>Open BOOT.INI in Notepad and add the /SOS switch to the end of the line that loads XP.   Example:

>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /SOS
>C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

Thanks, but I don't seem to HAVE a boot.ini.  I have searched for it
and come up with no results.  Maybe it's hidden at the moment, I'll
look into that later.

Thanks anyway.

--
Mike Barnard, Worthing, UK.

AMD 1700+ on Soltek SL-75DRV2. K4 bios.
512meg PC2100 RAM
Creative Geforce3 200Ti. NVidea 41.09 XP drivers
Barracuda IV 60gig (C)
IBM 30gig HD (D)
Creative CDRW 8432E (E)
Hitachi 32x CD drive (F)
Jessops CompactFlash card reader (G)
Creative Audigy soundcard
Sirocco Crossfire amp, speakers and subwoofer
Phillips 17" (107S) Monitor
Windows XP Home - registered - SP1
Diamond Supramax 56k USB modem

(Remove my TROUSERS spamblock to reply by email)

XP Home - boot question

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 10:58:12

Boot.ini is a hidden file in the root directory of the boot drive.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Associate Expert
ExpertZone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

> On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 18:20:51 -0500, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"

> >Mike,

> >You can edit BOOT.INI to get rid of the splash screen.

> >Open BOOT.INI in Notepad and add the /SOS switch to the end of the line that loads XP.   Example:

> >[operating systems]
> >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /SOS
> >C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

> Thanks, but I don't seem to HAVE a boot.ini.  I have searched for it
> and come up with no results.  Maybe it's hidden at the moment, I'll
> look into that later.

> Thanks anyway.

> --
> Mike Barnard, Worthing, UK.

> AMD 1700+ on Soltek SL-75DRV2. K4 bios.
> 512meg PC2100 RAM
> Creative Geforce3 200Ti. NVidea 41.09 XP drivers
> Barracuda IV 60gig (C)
> IBM 30gig HD (D)
> Creative CDRW 8432E (E)
> Hitachi 32x CD drive (F)
> Jessops CompactFlash card reader (G)
> Creative Audigy soundcard
> Sirocco Crossfire amp, speakers and subwoofer
> Phillips 17" (107S) Monitor
> Windows XP Home - registered - SP1
> Diamond Supramax 56k USB modem

> (Remove my TROUSERS spamblock to reply by email)

XP Home - boot question

Post by Michael S » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:04:01

In Explorer, go to Tools, select folder options, go to the View tab, be sure
"Show hidden files and folders" is selected and that "Hide protected
operating system files" is NOT selected, click apply and ok.  The Boot.ini
file is located in your root folder of your C drive, usually designated as
Local Disk (C).

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 18:20:51 -0500, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"

> >Mike,

> >You can edit BOOT.INI to get rid of the splash screen.

> >Open BOOT.INI in Notepad and add the /SOS switch to the end of the line

that loads XP.   Example:
Quote:

> >[operating systems]
> >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP

Professional" /fastdetect /SOS
Quote:> >C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

> Thanks, but I don't seem to HAVE a boot.ini.  I have searched for it
> and come up with no results.  Maybe it's hidden at the moment, I'll
> look into that later.

> Thanks anyway.

> --
> Mike Barnard, Worthing, UK.

> AMD 1700+ on Soltek SL-75DRV2. K4 bios.
> 512meg PC2100 RAM
> Creative Geforce3 200Ti. NVidea 41.09 XP drivers
> Barracuda IV 60gig (C)
> IBM 30gig HD (D)
> Creative CDRW 8432E (E)
> Hitachi 32x CD drive (F)
> Jessops CompactFlash card reader (G)
> Creative Audigy soundcard
> Sirocco Crossfire amp, speakers and subwoofer
> Phillips 17" (107S) Monitor
> Windows XP Home - registered - SP1
> Diamond Supramax 56k USB modem

> (Remove my TROUSERS spamblock to reply by email)

XP Home - boot question

Post by Robin Dexte » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 20:07:23

Not sure if this will help, but there is a system log
file, found via this route:-

control panel,
administrative tools,
event viewer,