Files in Temp folder don't go away

Post by Tom » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:49:54

My computer's hard drive space keeps shrinking because of
a bunch of TMP files that keep getting added to each
users Temp folder.  I have a 40g hard drive and in the
span of 1 week almost half of it was used up by junk in
the Temp folders.  I go and delete all the TMP files to
free up the space and within a few weeks I have to do it
again. I try to open some of them and AOL instant
messenger logon comes up but I don't get anything else.
I do have *snoop monitoring software,  Zone Alarm Pro
Firewall and Norton anti virus software.  Could there be
some setting in one of these that is saving all of these
tmp files? Any help or suggestions anyone can provide
will be appreciated.

Tom

Files in Temp folder don't go away

Post by help gu » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:36:19

you may have a chance makeing a batch file command in
autoexec.bat

del c:\(the directory of the temp files \*.tmp

that it will made a delete of all the files each time
when you boot, you can do it manualt too.

The tmp files will appear each time that a program runes
to made a constand log or operation.

Post by Patrick Keena » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:17:55

> My computer's hard drive space keeps shrinking because of
> a bunch of TMP files that keep getting added to each
> users Temp folder.  I have a 40g hard drive and in the
> span of 1 week almost half of it was used up by junk in
> the Temp folders.  I go and delete all the TMP files to
> free up the space and within a few weeks I have to do it
> again. I try to open some of them and AOL instant
> messenger logon comes up but I don't get anything else.
> I do have *snoop monitoring software,  Zone Alarm Pro
> Firewall and Norton anti virus software.  Could there be
> some setting in one of these that is saving all of these
> tmp files? Any help or suggestions anyone can provide
> will be appreciated.

> Tom

In Internet Explorer, reduce the size of the cache.  Tools, Internet
Options, temporary Internet files, Settings.

HTH
-pk

Post by Ron Martel » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:04:15

>you may have a chance makeing a batch file command in
>autoexec.bat

>del c:\(the directory of the temp files \*.tmp

>that it will made a delete of all the files each time
>when you boot, you can do it manualt too.

>The tmp files will appear each time that a program runes
>to made a constand log or operation.

That has zero chance of working with Windows XP because the autoexec.bat
file is not processed at startup.  Period.

And that command is very dangerous in the autoexec.bat file for Windows 95
and 98, where it will work and will possibly cause serious problems for
any newly installed applications which have placed files in the TEMP
folder pending a restart when wininit.exe moves them to their intended
final destinations.

Ron Martell     Duncan B.C.    Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Files in Temp folder don't go away

Post by Ken Blak » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 05:05:00

Quote:> you may have a chance makeing a batch file command in
> autoexec.bat

> del c:\(the directory of the temp files \*.tmp

> that it will made a delete of all the files each time
> when you boot,

This is both wrong and bad advice.

It's wrong because Windows XP doesn't use autoexec.bat.

It's bad advice in operating systems that do use autoexec.bat
because some program installations work in two steps: the first
step ends by putting files in the temp folder and rebooting; the
second step needs to find those temp files there. Deleteing temp
files from autoexec.bat wreaks havoc with such installation
routines.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

1. User Folders Don't Go Away

I deleted a user account in my PC (selected the option 'delete files'), but
some defaults for the 'Owner' account are linked to the user folders under
the deleted user!  XP kept the folders for Start Menu, Desktop and Favorites
for the deleted user.  I tried to manually delete the folders, but it tells
me is a system folder and cannot be deleted (or it is in use.)

The Start Menu, Favorites and Desktop defaults for the 'Owner' account are
the ones under the folder of the deleted user.  Is there any way to
re-direct XP to look at these folders under the 'Owner' folders, instead of
the other user?

I'm tempted to delete all user accounts and start all over again to clean up
the mess, but I if there is any way to avoid this, I would.

Please, help.

Eduardo

2. Windows XP Update Will Not Download Updates

3. Don't use Temp folder when downloading files in IE 5 and 6

4. can i limit other users

5. full screen works, but controls don't go away

6. networking

7. Temp and Temp I'net Folders and Files

8. Default printer

9. read-only folder property won't go away

10. Desktop "folder" panel won't go away

11. Empty folder that won't go away!!

12. %USERPRFILE% folder won't go away...

13. %USERPROFILE% folder won't go away...