internet problem

Post by MNau » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 06:18:47

I've posted a message a while back on modem problems on my home computer.
After replacing a fried PCtel modem that supplied internet access and
fiddling with
drivers and settings continually,  uninstalling the network components and
re-installing
them I still can't seem to get back to the consistent speed that I used to
have.
The new Zoom V-92 modem hooks up at 115.2 kbps all the time and runs like a
champ for the first few pages loaded.  Then for some strange reason it bogs
down and sets with now activity for several seconds and runs erratically
after that.  It will communicate then go dormant alternately for long
periods.  If I disconnect and start over, it runs great at first again and
then falls into the same pattern.  Sometimes it helps to hit the IE reload
button on the stalled page, but not always.  This same pattern shows up in
other web reliant software used.  It does this no matter what driver or
initialization string I use on the modem.  An ISP tech suggested an
initialization string that would slow down the modem to "allow things to
sync up better".  When that was tried, the same pattern prevailed, but when
it was pulling data it was at the slower 48 kbps rate.  There have been no
changes in my phone line or system and the phone company has checked the
line and found no noise.  Has anyone ever seen
anything like this?
Mark

internet problem

Post by dev » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:09:25

>I've posted a message a while back on modem problems on my home computer.
>After replacing a fried PCtel modem that supplied internet access and
>fiddling with
>drivers and settings continually,  uninstalling the network components and
>re-installing
>them I still can't seem to get back to the consistent speed that I used to
>have.
>The new Zoom V-92 modem hooks up at 115.2 kbps all the time and runs like a
>champ for the first few pages loaded.  Then for some strange reason it bogs
>down and sets with now activity for several seconds and runs erratically
>after that.  It will communicate then go dormant alternately for long
>periods.  If I disconnect and start over, it runs great at first again and
>then falls into the same pattern.  Sometimes it helps to hit the IE reload
>button on the stalled page, but not always.  This same pattern shows up in
>other web reliant software used.  It does this no matter what driver or
>initialization string I use on the modem.  An ISP tech suggested an
>initialization string that would slow down the modem to "allow things to
>sync up better".  When that was tried, the same pattern prevailed, but when
>it was pulling data it was at the slower 48 kbps rate.  There have been no
>changes in my phone line or system and the phone company has checked the
>line and found no noise.  Has anyone ever seen
>anything like this?

The speed that you see it the MODEM --- > CPU speed, not the connect
speed to your ISP.  Install the .inf file for the modem.  Or try adding
"W2" (no quotes) in the Extra Settings box ---  Control Panel|MODEMS
tab|PROPERTIES button|ADVANCED tab.

Even then, the initial connect speed may not be accurate through the
session.  Visit here for more insight...
http://WWW.MODEMSITE.COM/56k/index.asp (56K)
http://WWW.HAL-PC.ORG/~wdg/56k.html (56K)
http://ModemFAQ.home.att.net/index.htm (Navas)
http://808HI.COM/56k/tshoot.htm (troubleshooter)

1. Explorer & Internet Explorer Crashes + Internet Problems

Hi people,
Lately, both Windows Explorer & Internet Explorer have taken to crashing for
no apparent reason when I try to type things in boxes on webpages, or in the
address bar, for example, or when I use Windows keys (e.g. Windows key + M,
for minimise or CTRL + ALT + DEL, or even the My Computer key on my
keyboard). Elements of Worksuite 2002 have been playing up too - such as
Windows Installer trying to Install Picture It! Photo 2002 whenever I try to
send an email from Outlook Express, or Microsoft Word trying to install
whenever I try and open it, despite the fact that it's already installed.
Also, we have three user accounts set up on our computer. On my one, I can
access the internet fine through Internet Explorer, but recently the other
two users have been unable to. No home page is loaded or anything. They can
still access it through MSN Explorer, but as you can probably understand
it's still very frustrating.
I'm running XP Home, btw.
Thanks in advance,

Laura

2. Allgemeines

3. internet problem-windows problem

4. Windows Explorer startup causes Internet connection to be made over ICS on othe machine ????

5. wireless/internet problem problem

6. CPU usage percentages jumps around

7. Fix for Internet problem

8. Networking xp pro and me?

9. Fastest way to the Internet problem

10. Outlook and Fastest way to the internet problem, with passport

11. Internet problem

12. Internet problems

13. internet problem