Windows XP issue

Post by Travi » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 10:59:12

HI ALL,

I have XP(purchased off shelf) on a computer that I have.
But for networking purposes have changed that PC to W2K.
How can I set up XP on another home computer for my
kids/wife. I realize it's liscened to that PC????

Thanks for any help!

Windows XP issue

Post by Bob » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:15:56

Well. yes and no , it's yours do what you want. So install
it and activate it. If it won't activate on line, call and
do it on the phone. Of course all the MS brown nosers will
tell you can't, but there is no law they can point to. The
EULA is under contract law and is a civil issue.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>HI ALL,

>I have XP(purchased off shelf) on a computer that I have.
>But for networking purposes have changed that PC to W2K.
>How can I set up XP on another home computer for my
>kids/wife. I realize it's liscened to that PC????

>Thanks for any help!
>.

Windows XP issue

Post by Steve C. Ra » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:18:06

If it is a retail version (not OEM), just install it on the other computer.
If it is a full version you won't need anything else; if a upgrade you will
need a qualifying product , such as 98, 98SE, or ME, either installed on the
other computer or you must have the CD for verification. If it has been more
than 120 days since you first installed XP it will activate normally. If not
you will have to activate by phone. Its no problem, the phone number will be
given on the screen when you select activate by phone. Tell the Microsoft
rep what you are doing, he will give you a new number to enter.

--
Steve C. Ray
Replace "email" with "brazoria"

Quote:> HI ALL,

> I have XP(purchased off shelf) on a computer that I have.
> But for networking purposes have changed that PC to W2K.
> How can I set up XP on another home computer for my
> kids/wife. I realize it's liscened to that PC????

> Thanks for any help!

Windows XP issue

Post by Oliver Costic » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 02:22:39

>Well. yes and no , it's yours do what you want. So install
>it and activate it. If it won't activate on line, call and
>do it on the phone. Of course all the MS brown nosers will
>tell you can't, but there is no law they can point to. The
>EULA is under contract law and is a civil issue.

The EULA clearly does not limit the installation to the first computer
it is installed on. Just to one at a time.
Quote:

Windows XP issue

Post by Alex Nicho » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:25:56

>I have XP(purchased off shelf) on a computer that I have.
>But for networking purposes have changed that PC to W2K.
>How can I set up XP on another home computer for my
>kids/wife. I realize it's liscened to that PC????

If it was a true 'retail' copy, and not an OEM one, purchased with a
piece of hardware (which is licensed only to the original machine), then
you just install to a new machine having removed it from the old one.

When it comes to activation, either it will be over 120 days since you
activated before, in which case it will activate on the net like the
first time, or else you have to phone the toll free number given, to
explain and swap one long number for another

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)

1. Windows XP Issue

Hi there, i have had Windows XP for quite a while, but
lately is has been running slow and freezing. So i
checked out the task manager, and there are about 100
tasks that are called addinSGN.exe. I'm trying to figure
out where these are coming from, and guessing that is is
some kind of virus. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

2. How to set up yhe TCP/IP under NT4.0 beta 2????

3. Windows xp issue...or not.......

4. Invalid date format in Explorer (like 02/mm/01)

5. Windows XP issues

6. Uninstall

7. A couple of Windows XP Issues

8. Upgrade to XP or install on clean machine

9. Windows XP Issue

10. Sony Digital Camera w/ Windows XP Issue -- Please Help!!

11. Uninstall Windows XP Issue

12. Windows XP Issues (Help)

13. A couple of Windows XP Issues