When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by Gary Davi » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 02:25:05

If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then over
the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my computer
stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by kurttrai » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 02:40:44

When you stop thinking of it as your computer.  IMHO.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Quote:> If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then over
> the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my
computer
> stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by Steven Shelton > » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 02:53:37

I seem to remember that you can upgrade 4 things before it is considered a
new computer by XP and will no longer work. Check out the microsoft site to
make sure.

> When you stop thinking of it as your computer.  IMHO.

> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> http://microscum.kurttrail.com
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

> > If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then
over
> > the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my
> computer
> > stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by kurttrai » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:10:26

Since there is no mention of when a computer becomes another computer
because of upgrades in the Windows XP EULA, then whatever MS says is just
their opinion, until they get a court to rule on the matter.  So your
opinion, at this moment is as valid as MS's, both are just an opinion!  In
this scenario there are never 2 computers to transfer XP from one to the
other, so the transfer section of the EULA isn't applicable, since XP never
moves from one computer to another different computer.  It's always your
computer till you give or sell it to another person.

Transfer - To convey or cause to pass from one place, person, or thing to
another.
http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=transfer

--
Peace!
Kurt
http://microscum.kurttrail.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

> I seem to remember that you can upgrade 4 things before it is considered a
> new computer by XP and will no longer work. Check out the microsoft site
> make sure.

> > When you stop thinking of it as your computer.  IMHO.

> > --
> > Peace!
> > Kurt
> > http://microscum.kurttrail.com
> > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

> > > If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then
> over
> > > the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my
> > computer
> > > stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by Mark Sallowa » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:20:31

OEM copies are locked to the BIOS so replace the mainboard and thats when
it'll kick ya for sure. Back in the days of Packard Bell Windows 98 the
installer for that did the same sort of thing and refused to install if you
changed the Motherboard to a non PB model.

--
:)

Mark Salloway
Associate Expert

Quote:> If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then over
> the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my
computer
> stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by kurttrai » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:40:27

Changing the mobo only kicks in PA, you can still activate your copy of XP
thru MS.  Matter of fact, I activated a Gateway version of XP with MS, and
it activated over the internet.

--
Peace!
Kurt
http://microscum.kurttrail.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

> OEM copies are locked to the BIOS so replace the mainboard and thats when
> it'll kick ya for sure. Back in the days of Packard Bell Windows 98 the
> installer for that did the same sort of thing and refused to install if
you
> changed the Motherboard to a non PB model.

> --
> :)

> Mark Salloway
> Associate Expert

> > If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then
over
> > the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my
> computer
> > stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by Richard Benzin » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 04:01:43

If you are asking about WPA making you call MS, then check out this link, it
will tell you what you can change. http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

Quote:> If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then over
> the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my
computer
> stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by Gary Davi » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 04:13:25

Nope!

If Microsoft is silly enough to put "first computer" in the EULA for the OEM
versions then they should have a definition of what that is. I'm just asking
what you have to keep for a computer to still be considered the "first
computer" to comply with the EULA.

This is not the pre installed but the version you can buy over the counter
with any piece of hardware such as a power cord.

> If you are asking about WPA making you call MS, then check out this link,
it
> will tell you what you can change. http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

> > If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then
over
> > the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my
> computer
> > stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by Mark Sallowa » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 05:57:52

...if its a retail copy. OEM will not.

--
:)

Mark Salloway
Associate Expert

> Changing the mobo only kicks in PA, you can still activate your copy of XP
> thru MS.  Matter of fact, I activated a Gateway version of XP with MS, and
> it activated over the internet.

> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> http://microscum.kurttrail.com
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

> > OEM copies are locked to the BIOS so replace the mainboard and thats
when
> > it'll kick ya for sure. Back in the days of Packard Bell Windows 98 the
> > installer for that did the same sort of thing and refused to install if
> you
> > changed the Motherboard to a non PB model.

> > --
> > :)

> > Mark Salloway
> > Associate Expert

> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then
> over
> > > the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my
> > computer
> > > stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by Ken Blak » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 06:44:27

Quote:> OEM copies are locked to the BIOS so replace the mainboard and
thats
> when it'll kick ya for sure. Back in the days of Packard Bell
Windows
> 98 the installer for that did the same sort of thing and
refused to
> install if you changed the Motherboard to a non PB model.

*Some* OEM copies are locked to the motherboard--those from major
OEMs apparently are.

Other OEM copies, those that you can buy at smaller local OEMs
(or get with computers built by them), for example, are not.
These are identical to full versions except that they can not be
used to upgrade, and that you have to get support from your OEM,
not from Microsoft.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by Mark Sallowa » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 06:53:50

Quote:>>Other OEM copies, those that you can buy at smaller local OEMs

(or get with computers built by them), for example, are not.
These are identical to full versions except that they can not be
used to upgrade, and that you have to get support from your OEM,
not from Microsoft.

It will install and run for 30days,but you won't be able to activate because
it has been moved from the original equipment.

--
:)

Mark Salloway
Associate Expert

Post by Plat » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 07:46:08

> *Some* OEM copies are locked to the motherboard--those from major
> OEMs apparently are.

Many are "locked" to a specific line of PCs that a typical international
brand PC may sell. In other words, Gateway may sell 30 different PCs in
4 different product lines. The CD will work in any of the same line.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by kurttrai » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 07:49:04

Gateway OEM.  I've tried and was successful.  Have you even tried?

--
Peace!
Kurt
http://microscum.kurttrail.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

> ...if its a retail copy. OEM will not.

> --
> :)

> Mark Salloway
> Associate Expert

> > Changing the mobo only kicks in PA, you can still activate your copy of
XP
> > thru MS.  Matter of fact, I activated a Gateway version of XP with MS,
and
> > it activated over the internet.

> > --
> > Peace!
> > Kurt
> > http://microscum.kurttrail.com
> > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

> > > OEM copies are locked to the BIOS so replace the mainboard and thats
> when
> > > it'll kick ya for sure. Back in the days of Packard Bell Windows 98
the
> > > installer for that did the same sort of thing and refused to install
if
> > you
> > > changed the Motherboard to a non PB model.

> > > --
> > > :)

> > > Mark Salloway
> > > Associate Expert

> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > over
> > > computer

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by kurttrai » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 07:58:27

Used a Gateway 300 disk & key by mistake on a Gateway 700.  Worked liked a
charm.

And of course both Gateway OEM & Dell OEM can be Corp. converted to bypass
PA all together.

--
Peace!
Kurt
http://microscum.kurttrail.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

> > *Some* OEM copies are locked to the motherboard--those from major
> > OEMs apparently are.

> Many are "locked" to a specific line of PCs that a typical international
> brand PC may sell. In other words, Gateway may sell 30 different PCs in
> 4 different product lines. The CD will work in any of the same line.

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

Post by kurttrai » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 23:24:53

Hi Alex,

It's MS's view, according to Terri, that OEM XP is tried to first installed
computer and can't be transferred.  But in this case there is no transfer
from one computer to another, just upgraded to a point that all components
have changed.  So when does a computer get upgrade to a point that it
becomes another computer?

Quoted from Terri Stratton' post in the thread, "Which to buy, OEM License
or Retail?":

". . . . and I emailed MS for clarification. The response is 'It is OEM
system builder product that allows the OS to be distributed with a hardware
component but you are correct that the OS become part of the complete PC
that it is installed on and cannot be subsequently transferred
with the hardware component; i.e. powercord.'"

--
Peace!
Kurt
http://microscum.kurttrail.com
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

> >If I purchase a OEM version of XP and install it on my computer, then
over
> >the course of a year upgrade every part of my computer when does my
computer
> >stop being the "first computer" in the EULA.

> Come to think of it, if you purchase the OEM version with an individual
> piece of hardware, then the EULA relates the software to that particular
> hardware and licenses the product for the 'computer with which the
> hardware operates'.  And to me that means 'currently operates' in the
> absence of any further specification, especially as the EULA then says
> that the software may be transferred with the hardware.  I think
> Microsoft may take a different view of what they intended - I also think
> that they may not have fully worked through the implications of the EULA
> they put out - and which they agreed to as much as you.

> --
> Alex Nichol MVP (DTS)

> Check out:'How to make a good newsgroup post'at
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

1. "safe mode","sound/video card","installing hardware"...pick one!

xp thinks that I do not hve a sound or video card......It
took me a full month to install my hardware...over and
over again before everything worked...with last install of
hp scanjet 5470c when I restarted pc, I was in safe mode.
Worked with microsoft online tech and finally his
recomendation was to reformat. Then one day it just booted
up in normal mode!....no explanation...but all of my
installs where gone. Reinstalled everything and last night
when I removed a cable that was attatched to nothing, it
put me back into safe mode.and guess what? Half of the
hardware is gone again. Anyone hve the courage to try to
help me out of safe mode again. System restore does
nothing.

2. arranging toolbars

3. "My Computer", "Control Panel", and "Trash Bin" error.

4. Why

5. can't access "windows explorer" , "my computer", "control panel"

6. Auto connect to internet

7. XP: "My Computer" hangs when right click on drives in "My Computer"

8. New installation of Windows XP doesn't see existing programs on other drive

9. Network browser lists "Computer Descriptions" instead of "Computer Names"

10. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

11. XP"PRO" vs. XP"HOME"....Which one???

12. Type "All" vs. "At least one"

13. WANTED """ NT 3.51 Training Videos """" WANTED