XP SP1 worth installing?

Post by Akubr » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:55:51

Is service pack 1 worth/safe to install?

Thanks

XP SP1 worth installing?

Post by Graem » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:05:13

Not Really.
But if you do,BE Sure that you invoke the option to save the previous
version.
It takes up a lot of space but could really save your bacon 3 months from
now.
My choice? Wait for service pack 2.

> Is service pack 1 worth/safe to install?

> Thanks

XP SP1 worth installing?

Post by Rich » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:38:06

I agree it did nothing that I can see benificial to my system.

If you do install set a restore point just before doing it, and if things go south restore to that point.

Rich B

> Not Really.
> But if you do,BE Sure that you invoke the option to save the previous
> version.
> It takes up a lot of space but could really save your bacon 3 months from
> now.
> My choice? Wait for service pack 2.

> > Is service pack 1 worth/safe to install?

> > Thanks

XP SP1 worth installing?

Post by Graem » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:07:37

Dont know about that Rich.
When you install sp1 it wipes all previous restore points.hence the need to
keep the previous version in case of trouble.
When you do decide to remove sp1, once again all restore points are
liquidated.

Post by Alex Nicho » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:43:17

>Is service pack 1 worth/safe to install?

If successful it puts the system on a solid, known basis, and may be
needed as such for future upgrades..  But it is something that needs a
bit of care - not just done while getting on with surfing at the same
time.  I suggest that by this stage you avoid the 'Express' method and
either get the big 'Network' or standalone download, if you have
broadband, or wait a short time for it to appear on a magazine cover
disk near you (it has been out on one in the UK for two weeks).

The following may turn out overkill, but a few minutes is worth while.
Also be sure you have a good backup of important matters against any
possible total disaster (like the one earlier on who had pulled the
power in the middle).

It is important to ensure you have nothing getting in the way..

I suggest
Empty the folder windows\system32\catroot2
(which can give rise to spurious messages about Cryptographic services)

Disable all anti-virus and firewall etc in their own settings.  Also if
you have any program that changes the splash screen, or provides more
styles by modifying the system files (esp Styles-XP), uninstall it

If you ever installed XP-Antispy, it disables a dll XSP1 needs, so just
in case, Start - Run and run
regsvr32  licdll.dll
regsvr32  regwizc.dll

Start - run Msconfig.exe
Uncheck the Load Startup items; and in Services page check 'hide
Microsoft services' and uncheck those lines left.  Put them back when
all is up and running

OK, and reboot to a clean machine from which to run the SP1 setup.  All
this should not be necessary, but  is worth the trouble, to make sure

--
Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)

XP SP1 worth installing?

Post by Stu Davi » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:02:32

I did most of what you recommend. Also, before installing I ran both Norton
and System Mechanic to make the system as clean as I could.

After that I did a mirror of my C: drive and stored it on my D: drive. Then
I did SP1 (full version). Thought I had a fallback position if SP1 hadn't
worked out.

Nice post, Alex

Stu Davis

>Is service pack 1 worth/safe to install?

If successful it puts the system on a solid, known basis, and may be
needed as such for future upgrades..  But it is something that needs a
bit of care - not just done while getting on with surfing at the same
time.  I suggest that by this stage you avoid the 'Express' method and
either get the big 'Network' or standalone download, if you have
broadband, or wait a short time for it to appear on a magazine cover
disk near you (it has been out on one in the UK for two weeks).

The following may turn out overkill, but a few minutes is worth while.
Also be sure you have a good backup of important matters against any
possible total disaster (like the one earlier on who had pulled the
power in the middle).

It is important to ensure you have nothing getting in the way..

I suggest
Empty the folder windows\system32\catroot2
(which can give rise to spurious messages about Cryptographic services)

Disable all anti-virus and firewall etc in their own settings.  Also if
you have any program that changes the splash screen, or provides more
styles by modifying the system files (esp Styles-XP), uninstall it

If you ever installed XP-Antispy, it disables a dll XSP1 needs, so just
in case, Start - Run and run
regsvr32  licdll.dll
regsvr32  regwizc.dll

Start - run Msconfig.exe
Uncheck the Load Startup items; and in Services page check 'hide
Microsoft services' and uncheck those lines left.  Put them back when
all is up and running

OK, and reboot to a clean machine from which to run the SP1 setup.  All
this should not be necessary, but  is worth the trouble, to make sure

--
Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)

XP SP1 worth installing?

Post by Fred Sepa.. » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 01:14:27

Hello Alex,

Please excuse the question in this thread.

I plan to install SP1 even though I have regularly run manual Windows
Updates. I've carefully selected the ones that I felt were needed on my
system and ignored others. Here's my questions:

1 - Will SP1 allow any selection of actual updates during the install?

Concern would be for older and/or lesser quality drivers for things like
the sound card, video card, etc.

2 - I'm running Easy CD Creator v 4.05 (without Direct CD) and it works
just fine. Will SP1 mess that up for me?

Thanks, Fred

> >Is service pack 1 worth/safe to install?

> If successful it puts the system on a solid, known basis, and may be
> needed as such for future upgrades..  But it is something that needs a
> bit of care - not just done while getting on with surfing at the same
> time.  I suggest that by this stage you avoid the 'Express' method and
> either get the big 'Network' or standalone download, if you have
> broadband, or wait a short time for it to appear on a magazine cover
> disk near you (it has been out on one in the UK for two weeks).

> The following may turn out overkill, but a few minutes is worth while.
> Also be sure you have a good backup of important matters against any
> possible total disaster (like the one earlier on who had pulled the
> power in the middle).

> It is important to ensure you have nothing getting in the way..

> I suggest
> Empty the folder windows\system32\catroot2
> (which can give rise to spurious messages about Cryptographic services)

> Disable all anti-virus and firewall etc in their own settings.  Also if
> you have any program that changes the splash screen, or provides more
> styles by modifying the system files (esp Styles-XP), uninstall it

> If you ever installed XP-Antispy, it disables a dll XSP1 needs, so just
> in case, Start - Run and run
> regsvr32  licdll.dll
> regsvr32  regwizc.dll

> Start - run Msconfig.exe
> Uncheck the Load Startup items; and in Services page check 'hide
> Microsoft services' and uncheck those lines left.  Put them back when
> all is up and running

> OK, and reboot to a clean machine from which to run the SP1 setup.  All
> this should not be necessary, but  is worth the trouble, to make sure

> --
> Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)

XP SP1 worth installing?

Post by Bob Huntle » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:33:02

I'd recommend that you get Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive Image first and
backup your system drive before you let SP1 loose on your PC.

Quote:> Is service pack 1 worth/safe to install?

> Thanks

XP SP1 worth installing?

Post by Alex Nicho » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:35:40

>I plan to install SP1 even though I have regularly run manual Windows
>Updates. I've carefully selected the ones that I felt were needed on my
>system and ignored others. Here's my questions:

>1 - Will SP1 allow any selection of actual updates during the install?

>Concern would be for older and/or lesser quality drivers for things like
>the sound card, video card, etc.

It will do all the fixes without options, but will leave such things as
drivers alone, except in a few cases where it includes a driver that it
thinks is more up to date.  There are one or two of these that do not
seem always satisfactory - I suggest that if you have an nvidia or ATI
video card, you make sure you have the makers latest driver (which SP1
will leave alone) installed first.

Quote:>2 - I'm running Easy CD Creator v 4.05 (without Direct CD) and it works
>just fine. Will SP1 mess that up for me?

It will not affect it.

--
Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)