OEM Windows License

Post by Stephen15 » Thu, 22 May 2003 04:41:57

What are the hardware requirements for purchasing Windows
XP - OEM? I see cheap OEM versions of windows all over
the internet. All state that hardware is required to get
the cheaper oem version, what does the licensing areement
say? If i buy new ram, am i eligable for an oem version?
A whole system? a hard drive?

thanks

OEM Windows License

Post by Alvin A Brow » Thu, 22 May 2003 04:52:49

Hello

Here are the spec's and a link for you to view

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314865

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home & XP Pro are:
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)

At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution

Sound card
Speakers or headphones

OEM means you do not get a nice fancy box, just comes in a sleve with
the key

Alvin

> What are the hardware requirements for purchasing Windows
> XP - OEM? I see cheap OEM versions of windows all over
> the internet. All state that hardware is required to get
> the cheaper oem version, what does the licensing areement
> say? If i buy new ram, am i eligable for an oem version?
> A whole system? a hard drive?

> thanks

OEM Windows License

Post by Nichola » Thu, 22 May 2003 05:05:06

You should purchase the retail, upgrade version of Windows XP.

Windows XP Clean Install:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

OEM versions of Windows XP differ from Retail versions in several ways.
Unlike Retail Versions, OEM Versions:

-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation
-- must be installed on a "clean" drive
-- cannot be transferred to a new or different computer in the future
-- are not eligible for any free technical support from Microsoft
-- are cheaper because of the aforementioned limitations

--
Nicholas

| What are the hardware requirements for purchasing Windows
| XP - OEM? I see cheap OEM versions of windows all over
| the internet. All state that hardware is required to get
| the cheaper oem version, what does the licensing areement
| say? If i buy new ram, am i eligable for an oem version?
| A whole system? a hard drive?
|
| thanks

OEM Windows License

Post by Yves Lecler » Thu, 22 May 2003 05:32:14

To be eligible, you must buy a non-peripheral piece of hardware.

Some examples:
            Hard drive
            motherboard
            video card
            memory
            one keyboard or one mouse

A non-perpherial device here means:  a hardware component needed to get a
Windows PC up an running.
So exculsions:
                printer
                modem
                speakers
                floppy drive

If I made a mistake, please do not blast me!!

Yves

PS:  Also, with an OEM version, you will not get direct support from
Microsoft!!!  You MUST go to your OEM media vender.

Quote:> What are the hardware requirements for purchasing Windows
> XP - OEM? I see cheap OEM versions of windows all over
> the internet. All state that hardware is required to get
> the cheaper oem version, what does the licensing areement
> say? If i buy new ram, am i eligable for an oem version?
> A whole system? a hard drive?

> thanks

OEM Windows License

Post by Jim Mackli » Thu, 22 May 2003 05:57:27

The OEM versions that are sold on eBay may be somebody's
left over Dell or HP CD, but there are genuine Microsoft
Windows OEM CDs available that are exactly the same as the
retail CD, except they can not do an upgrade and they are
licensed for one computer only.

You can buy these OEM CDs along with some piece of hardware,
normally it would be a motherboard, CPU or hard drive, but
it might be as little as a cheap video card.

You could use the CD on any computer as long as you did a
clean install.  These are intended for the computer home
builder...the OEM CDs issued by Dell, HP etc, are customized
versions of what MS supplied to them under a license that
allows them to modify content for their particular purpose.
The companies have staff that knows how to do this.

| What are the hardware requirements for purchasing Windows
| XP - OEM? I see cheap OEM versions of windows all over
| the internet. All state that hardware is required to get
| the cheaper oem version, what does the licensing areement
| say? If i buy new ram, am i eligable for an oem version?
| A whole system? a hard drive?
|
| thanks

OEM Windows License

Post by MindDriv » Thu, 22 May 2003 10:04:17

one more thing aswell -----

like one of the previous posts - OEM versions of ANY
VERSION of MS Windows MUST be sold with the matching
motherboard/computer - any SALE of any such OEM cd is
thus illegal by referance of the EULA (End User License
Agreement) of MS Windows ----

*quote-*(By installing, copying, downloading, accessing
or otherwise using
the SOFTWARE, you agree to be bound by the terms of this
EULA.)-*end quote*
some spaces and more text further down the EULA i skipped
through...

*quote-*(* Software as a Component of the Computer -
Transfer.  THIS
      LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED,
      TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY
      ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS.  The SOFTWARE
      is licensed with the HARDWARE as a single integrated
      product and may only be used with the HARDWARE.  If
the
      SOFTWARE is not accompanied by new HARDWARE, you may
      not use the SOFTWARE.  You may permanently transfer
all
      of your rights under this EULA only as part of a
      permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided
      you retain no copies, if you transfer all of the
SOFTWARE
      (including all component parts, the media and
printed
      materials, any upgrades, this EULA and the
Certificate
      of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the
terms
      of this EULA.  If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any
      transfer must also include all prior versions of the
      SOFTWARE.

Thats "PART" of XP's EULA that specificaly designates the
purpose of OEM versions of Windows.

For any other questions pertaining directly to OEM/EULA
usage you can find XP's EULA at this location on a
machine that has XP installed -

C:\Windows\System32\EULA.txt

theoreticly if you purchase a USED OEM cd then they have
broken the law by selling it - but it will work on
a "matching" model - so if you have an OEM cd of XP that
was sold with a HP Pavilion or say a Dell Dimension then
the cd that came with the HP computer will ****ONLY****
work on an HP computer - anyother instalation will only
last 30 days before it will lock you out for
registrational purposes. Then if not on an HP computer it
will say that the registration key is "INVALID" and will
prompt you to contact a representative at a free 800
number for a new one or if you feel you received the
message in error where as an operator will ask you to
read back the cd key and then conferm the number
displayed on your screen (*this is all prompted on the
screen*)

the same goes for the Dell computer - for instance - if
i :0 bought a dell computer i could "theoreticaly"
install that on a dell computer from 7 years ago :) *wink
wink* *nudge nudge*

boo microsoft booooooo ^_^

-----------------

>| What are the hardware requirements for purchasing
Windows
>| XP - OEM? I see cheap OEM versions of windows all over
>| the internet. All state that hardware is required to
get
>| the cheaper oem version, what does the licensing
areement
>| say? If i buy new ram, am i eligable for an oem
version?
>| A whole system? a hard drive?
>|
>| thanks
>.

OEM Windows License

Post by DsF MindDriv » Thu, 22 May 2003 10:09:54

oh and another thing - YES YOU CAN INSTALL OEM CD OF
XP "OVER" AN OLDER VERSION OF WINDOWS SUCH AS "ME"
OR "98" as and get this - as long as its the same "make"
of computer - meaning that the name on the computer
(dell/hp/gateway) match
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>What are the hardware requirements for purchasing
Windows
>XP - OEM? I see cheap OEM versions of windows all over
>the internet. All state that hardware is required to get
>the cheaper oem version, what does the licensing
areement
>say? If i buy new ram, am i eligable for an oem version?
>A whole system? a hard drive?

>thanks
>.

1. Licensing Question (OEM)

Currently I am running three PC's:
#1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
#2: Desktop with ME OEM
#3: Desktop with 98 SE

Would it be legal for me to buy full version of professional and install it
on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not be possible as it
is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
Graeme

2. Stupidest Person Here

3. Are OEM Licenses movable?

4. Running external apps

5. WinXP Pro, WinXP Pro OEM, WinXP Pro License ????

6. HOWTO_ Localize App Resources with MFC

7. OEM License

8. how to get still image n print it?

9. WinXP OEM License Pack

10. Which to buy, OEM License or Retail?

11. Can OEM License/Key, Work On XP/Upgrade

12. OEM vs. Volume Licensing

13. OEM license part 2