"My Documents" folder & "Add/Remove Programs" missing!

"My Documents" folder & "Add/Remove Programs" missing!

Post by Mary Saue » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 01:21:01

Maybe TweakUI can rebuild your icons

Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://dgl.microsoft.com/
http://mvps.org/msauer/

Quote:> This one has me completely baffled.

> The "My Documents" icon has vanished from my Start Menu
> and the "Add/Remove Programs" icon has disappeared from my
> Control Panel! I have the book, "Windows XP: Inside and
> Out", but it has proved to be less than useful with this
> problem.  Anybody got any hints, ideas, instructions, etc.?

> Thank you in advance.

> Richard

"My Documents" folder & "Add/Remove Programs" missing!

Post by Kell » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 11:25:57

Hi Richard,

Checkpoints:  Right click the Start
button/Properties/Customize/Advanced/Start Menu Items/My Documents.

If you are using Classic View:

TweakUI/Explorer/Show My Documents on Start Menu also check under Control
Panel/Appwiz.cpl

If that is not the case check your settings here for My Documents:
Start/Run/Regedit

Per User:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer

Per System:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

If this value is listed, set it to 0 or delete it:  NoSMMyDocs.

And here for the Control Panel/Add or Remove

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load

If appwiz.cpl (Add/Remove Programs Applet) is listed, delete it.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart for the changes to take effect.
--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP-Shell/User [AE-Windows? XP]
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Quote:> This one has me completely baffled.

> The "My Documents" icon has vanished from my Start Menu
> and the "Add/Remove Programs" icon has disappeared from my
> Control Panel! I have the book, "Windows XP: Inside and
> Out", but it has proved to be less than useful with this
> problem.  Anybody got any hints, ideas, instructions, etc.?

> Thank you in advance.

> Richard

1. "Change/Remove" button does not display in "Add/Remove" Programs

When I go to the Add/Remove programs control pannel
applet to uninstall a software program, but it won't let
me uninstall. When I click on the software "Microsoft
itouch v.2.2 keyboard software", the "Change/Remove"
button is not displayed. After I checked several other
entries on the Add/Remove list, I found that almost all
software listed does not provide me with
the "Change/Remove" button, and hence, I am unable to
uninstall anything from the Control Pannel. I am the
admimistrator with full power on my machine, and I was
able to uninstall through the control pannel before. How
do I get the "Change/Remove" button to be displayed?

2. help!

3. Copying "Documents & Settings" & "Program Files" Directories

4. Event Viewer Help

5. "Shared Documents" folder name changed to "Documents", how to change back?

6. need expert help: VHosts & DDNS

7. Error 3E6h

8. Shell folder "Shared Documents" spontaneously renamed itself simply "Documents"

9. No "Change/Remove" button on "Add/Remove Software"

10. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

11. "My Documents" - using "search" and "Send to"

12. The "My pictures" folder and "my documents" folder