Removing tilde filenames on FAT32 volumes

Removing tilde filenames on FAT32 volumes

Post by Frank D. Nicodem, Jr » Sat, 03 May 2003 04:54:59

When I copy a file to a FAT32-formatted disk under Windows XP, how do I get
the "8.3" name to NOT use the tilde file naming convention?

In prior versions of Windows (e.g., 95, 98, Me), there was a Registry entry
called NameNumericTail which I could set, so that the tilde-number naming
convention was bypassed (unless necessary due to naming conflicts).  In
other words, if my long filename were "THISISATEST.TXT", the "8.3" name
would be "THISISAT.TXT" -- *not* "THISIS~1.TXT" (which is the default).

I want to do the same thing under Windows XP, but can't figure out how to do
it.  I'm writing to a flash memory card for a device that only recognizes
8.3 filenames (FAT32).  I don't want to have to manually rename all of my
files to 8 characters long; I just want to copy them to the flash memory
card, and use the first 8 characters (not the first 6, then tilde and a
number).  But I can't figure out how to stop Windows XP from using the
tilde-number naming convention.

I do see a couple of references in the XP Registry to NameNumericTail, but
they are all set to 0 (which, as I recall, is what they *should* be to get
the result I want).  Can anyone tell me the Registry entry (or entries) to
check, and what value(s) they should be?  Or perhaps point to an application
that will do it for me?  I've looked at Microsoft's TweakUI for XP, as well
as Tweak-XP, and neither of them seems to provide the option.

Thanks.
------------------------------
Frank Nicodem

Removing tilde filenames on FAT32 volumes

Post by David Cand » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:19:18

I told you yesterday there is no NameNumericTail  on Win2000 or XP or any NT system.

So why post the same question again. Why act like a rude pig to me.

If you name your files 8.3 no short name is generated. So no ~1.

And NT uses a different algorithm if more than 5 files have a similar short name anyway.

All you can do in NT is turn shortnames off. This causes many of the same bugs as namenumerictail if you want to break your computer.
--
http://www.g2mil.com/Apr2003.htm
http://prorev.com/forbesrussia.htm

> When I copy a file to a FAT32-formatted disk under Windows XP, how do I get
> the "8.3" name to NOT use the tilde file naming convention?

> In prior versions of Windows (e.g., 95, 98, Me), there was a Registry entry
> called NameNumericTail which I could set, so that the tilde-number naming
> convention was bypassed (unless necessary due to naming conflicts).  In
> other words, if my long filename were "THISISATEST.TXT", the "8.3" name
> would be "THISISAT.TXT" -- *not* "THISIS~1.TXT" (which is the default).

> I want to do the same thing under Windows XP, but can't figure out how to do
> it.  I'm writing to a flash memory card for a device that only recognizes
> 8.3 filenames (FAT32).  I don't want to have to manually rename all of my
> files to 8 characters long; I just want to copy them to the flash memory
> card, and use the first 8 characters (not the first 6, then tilde and a
> number).  But I can't figure out how to stop Windows XP from using the
> tilde-number naming convention.

> I do see a couple of references in the XP Registry to NameNumericTail, but
> they are all set to 0 (which, as I recall, is what they *should* be to get
> the result I want).  Can anyone tell me the Registry entry (or entries) to
> check, and what value(s) they should be?  Or perhaps point to an application
> that will do it for me?  I've looked at Microsoft's TweakUI for XP, as well
> as Tweak-XP, and neither of them seems to provide the option.

> Thanks.
> ------------------------------
> Frank Nicodem

1. DOS filename mapping: manually edit or remove tilde?

Are there any utilities that allow you to edit the DOS filename mapping
under NT (ideally), or is there a way to prevent NT from generating the
annoying tilde~ characters when mapping filenames longer than 8
characters?

In the case of automatic filename generation, the following line works
under Win95, but doesn't seem to be applicable under NT: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NameNumericTail"=hex:00

2. Orchid Righteous 3D drivers

3. Filename "~"(tilde)

4. VIDEO DEVICE IS NOT ATTACHED

5. Desktop FileName Tilde

6. Remote web connection

7. Conversion from FAT32 volume to NTSF volume is not available

8. Changing Documents & Settings Drive Location AND Installing Apps for All Users

9. Error: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

10. windows media player "filename, directory, or volume syntax error"

11. the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

12. Cannot import SLD file The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

13. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.