Motherboard not recognized

Post by Roge » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:57:04

I just did a reinstall after formatting my HD. (Hey, wadda ya know. Sometimes
messing with the registry really DOES cause your PC to not reboot) of Win XP
Pro, added SP2 of course. All updates installed. My problem is, I can't get
anything to recognize that the motherboard is an Asus model xxxx. (I can
supply that, and any other tech info if needed.) On the device manager it's
listed as "system board". No details listed in msinfo32 other than "system
board" either. On the original install, no problem. But now, when I try to
install Asus software, I'm told I don't have an Asus mobo. I did before I
formatted and reinstalled. I didn't remove it at any time, nor did anyone
else, so its still in there. I'm not sure if this is a Windows related
problem or not,  but y'all have been great in the past with your advice, so I
thought I would give it a shot.

Motherboard not recognized

Post by MS-MV » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:00:50

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?  You can find them at the
Asus website.
www.coribright.com

Quote:>I just did a reinstall after formatting my HD. (Hey, wadda ya know.
>Sometimes
> messing with the registry really DOES cause your PC to not reboot) of Win
> XP
> Pro, added SP2 of course. All updates installed. My problem is, I can't
> get
> anything to recognize that the motherboard is an Asus model xxxx. (I can
> supply that, and any other tech info if needed.) On the device manager
> it's
> listed as "system board". No details listed in msinfo32 other than "system
> board" either. On the original install, no problem. But now, when I try to
> install Asus software, I'm told I don't have an Asus mobo. I did before I
> formatted and reinstalled. I didn't remove it at any time, nor did anyone
> else, so its still in there. I'm not sure if this is a Windows related
> problem or not,  but y'all have been great in the past with your advice,
> so I
> thought I would give it a shot.

Motherboard not recognized

Post by namnia » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:06:22

The motherboard chipset drivers should have been supplied with your system
(CD-ROM).  Or get them as Cari suggested.

Hmm, maybe before one messes with the registry it should be backed up first.
Then when the system fails to reboot one can boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and
make repairs.  Your not the first and won't be the last.

r.

Post by Ghostride » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 04:55:50

> I just did a reinstall after formatting my HD. (Hey, wadda ya know. Sometimes
> messing with the registry really DOES cause your PC to not reboot) of Win XP
> Pro, added SP2 of course. All updates installed. My problem is, I can't get
> anything to recognize that the motherboard is an Asus model xxxx. (I can
> supply that, and any other tech info if needed.) On the device manager it's
> listed as "system board". No details listed in msinfo32 other than "system
> board" either. On the original install, no problem. But now, when I try to
> install Asus software, I'm told I don't have an Asus mobo. I did before I
> formatted and reinstalled. I didn't remove it at any time, nor did anyone
> else, so its still in there. I'm not sure if this is a Windows related
> problem or not,  but y'all have been great in the past with your advice, so I
> thought I would give it a shot.

LOL. If this is a genuine Asus motherboard, then it
should identify it as such in the pre-POST screens. If
this information does not appear, then the system bios
has been corrupted and damaged. Not an easy thing to do
but the relationship between the bios and the Windows XP
OS can certainly do alter the bios tables. Mucking up
the Windows registry could result in such re-programming
of the system bios.

If the information is missing, then clear the BIOS and
re-flash it with the original or current version of the
Asus bios for this particular motherboard. Re-run the
bios configuration setup. Re-install and/or repair the
Windows XP installation and then re-do all of the updates.
If required, re-install all of the Asus chipset drivers,
apps, etc., that came with the motherboard.

Good luck.

Motherboard not recognized

Post by Roge » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 06:43:01

Yes, I did install the motherboard chipset driver. Although, this time the
chipset is not recognized as supporting Intel's PAT. I even got the lastest
chipset drivers from intel.This time around, this is my only PC and last time
I had many available to me, I was a bit more rushed in my install.I may have
missed something. I think I will do it over again if I can't get this figured
out.

> Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?  You can find them at the
> Asus website.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com

> >I just did a reinstall after formatting my HD. (Hey, wadda ya know.
> >Sometimes
> > messing with the registry really DOES cause your PC to not reboot) of Win
> > XP
> > Pro, added SP2 of course. All updates installed. My problem is, I can't
> > get
> > anything to recognize that the motherboard is an Asus model xxxx. (I can
> > supply that, and any other tech info if needed.) On the device manager
> > it's
> > listed as "system board". No details listed in msinfo32 other than "system
> > board" either. On the original install, no problem. But now, when I try to
> > install Asus software, I'm told I don't have an Asus mobo. I did before I
> > formatted and reinstalled. I didn't remove it at any time, nor did anyone
> > else, so its still in there. I'm not sure if this is a Windows related
> > problem or not,  but y'all have been great in the past with your advice,
> > so I
> > thought I would give it a shot.

Motherboard not recognized

Post by Roge » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 06:47:03

Namniar, that COULD be the problem. This time I used the supplied chipset
drivers, (when I tried to update them I was told "no better match is found")
but last time I used the Intel drivers first.

Ah, your lack of sympathy reminds me of...me. I had backed up the registry,
just a few steps too far back to make a nice clean reinstall of it. It was
time anyway. Ya know?

> The motherboard chipset drivers should have been supplied with your system
> (CD-ROM).  Or get them as Cari suggested.

> Hmm, maybe before one messes with the registry it should be backed up first.
> Then when the system fails to reboot one can boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and
> make repairs.  Your not the first and won't be the last.

> r.

> > Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?  You can find them at the
> > Asus website.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > www.coribright.com

> >>I just did a reinstall after formatting my HD. (Hey, wadda ya know.
> >>Sometimes
> >> messing with the registry really DOES cause your PC to not reboot) of Win
> >> XP
> >> Pro, added SP2 of course. All updates installed. My problem is, I can't
> >> get
> >> anything to recognize that the motherboard is an Asus model xxxx. (I can
> >> supply that, and any other tech info if needed.) On the device manager
> >> it's
> >> listed as "system board". No details listed in msinfo32 other than
> >> "system
> >> board" either. On the original install, no problem. But now, when I try
> >> install Asus software, I'm told I don't have an Asus mobo. I did before I
> >> formatted and reinstalled. I didn't remove it at any time, nor did anyone
> >> else, so its still in there. I'm not sure if this is a Windows related
> >> problem or not,  but y'all have been great in the past with your advice,
> >> so I
> >> thought I would give it a shot.

Motherboard not recognized

Post by Roge » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 06:57:01

I flashed the bios with the latest available from Asus. I don't recall if it
was just before or after formatting, but it was done at this reinstall. When
I try to use the Asus GUI flash utility, (which is so much nicer than the old
command line style, don't ya think) easyflash I think its called, is when I'm
told that it isn't an Asus mobo. This feature worked last time. Yeah, I think
another install, starting with the ORIGINAL bios, rather than the latest
version, would be best. And one of the many, many things I had been playing
with was modifying the boot screen, so I had without a doubt modified the
bios during my....um....tests shall we say? Again, playing was a lot easier
with more PC's at my disposal. And I probably won't learn until I do it a few
more times either. Hehe.

> > I just did a reinstall after formatting my HD. (Hey, wadda ya know. Sometimes
> > messing with the registry really DOES cause your PC to not reboot) of Win XP
> > Pro, added SP2 of course. All updates installed. My problem is, I can't get
> > anything to recognize that the motherboard is an Asus model xxxx. (I can
> > supply that, and any other tech info if needed.) On the device manager it's
> > listed as "system board". No details listed in msinfo32 other than "system
> > board" either. On the original install, no problem. But now, when I try to
> > install Asus software, I'm told I don't have an Asus mobo. I did before I
> > formatted and reinstalled. I didn't remove it at any time, nor did anyone
> > else, so its still in there. I'm not sure if this is a Windows related
> > problem or not,  but y'all have been great in the past with your advice, so I
> > thought I would give it a shot.

> LOL. If this is a genuine Asus motherboard, then it
> should identify it as such in the pre-POST screens. If
> this information does not appear, then the system bios
> has been corrupted and damaged. Not an easy thing to do
> but the relationship between the bios and the Windows XP
> OS can certainly do alter the bios tables. Mucking up
> the Windows registry could result in such re-programming
> of the system bios.

> If the information is missing, then clear the BIOS and
> re-flash it with the original or current version of the
> Asus bios for this particular motherboard. Re-run the
> bios configuration setup. Re-install and/or repair the
> Windows XP installation and then re-do all of the updates.
> If required, re-install all of the Asus chipset drivers,
> apps, etc., that came with the motherboard.

> Good luck.

Motherboard not recognized

Post by namnia » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:40:05

Lack of sympathy - no (or at least not intended).  Hindsight for the benefit
of others who may read the post prior to "messing" with the registry - yes.

Hope you got it (or get it) fixed up.

r.

> Namniar, that COULD be the problem. This time I used the supplied chipset
> drivers, (when I tried to update them I was told "no better match is
> found")
> but last time I used the Intel drivers first.

> Ah, your lack of sympathy reminds me of...me. I had backed up the
> registry,
> just a few steps too far back to make a nice clean reinstall of it. It was
> time anyway. Ya know?

>> The motherboard chipset drivers should have been supplied with your
>> system
>> (CD-ROM).  Or get them as Cari suggested.

>> Hmm, maybe before one messes with the registry it should be backed up
>> first.
>> Then when the system fails to reboot one can boot from the WinXP CD-ROM
>> and
>> make repairs.  Your not the first and won't be the last.

>> r.

>> > Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?  You can find them at
>> > the
>> > Asus website.
>> > --
>> > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> > www.coribright.com

Motherboard not recognized

Post by Roge » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:43:04

I was just kiddin ya namniar. I knew ya meant no harm by it. Yes, I thought
even if my question didn't get answered, at least someone else would surely
learn. 'Cuz I probably won't. Hehe.

> Lack of sympathy - no (or at least not intended).  Hindsight for the benefit
> of others who may read the post prior to "messing" with the registry - yes.

> Hope you got it (or get it) fixed up.

> r.

> > Namniar, that COULD be the problem. This time I used the supplied chipset
> > drivers, (when I tried to update them I was told "no better match is
> > found")
> > but last time I used the Intel drivers first.

> > Ah, your lack of sympathy reminds me of...me. I had backed up the
> > registry,
> > just a few steps too far back to make a nice clean reinstall of it. It was
> > time anyway. Ya know?

> >> The motherboard chipset drivers should have been supplied with your
> >> system
> >> (CD-ROM).  Or get them as Cari suggested.

> >> Hmm, maybe before one messes with the registry it should be backed up
> >> first.
> >> Then when the system fails to reboot one can boot from the WinXP CD-ROM
> >> and
> >> make repairs.  Your not the first and won't be the last.

> >> r.

1. Motherboard Crash XP CD does not recognize OS

My Intel Pentuum IV motherboard (845 chipset) suddenly died.  I replaced it
with an AMD Athlon CPU/board.  When using the  original WinXP Upgrade CD
(upgraded from Win2K) and try to get to the the point to repair the install,
the system can only recognize one of the four partitiions on the HD (the C:
partition where the  OS resides).  But, the install does not see that the OS
is already on that partition.  What is the install looking for?  All the
files are there.  If I go into the Repair Console the files are all there.
In  the Repair Console I copied  the NTDLR, NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI files
into the root  Dir from backups, but  still  the OS is not recognized from
the install.  I have  a huge number of programs on the system (in other
partitions) that I really do not want to have to reload and setup all ver
again -a weeks worth of work!  Can anyone help?

2. Help and Support Index is missing?

3. New motherboard will not recognize old secondary drive on laptop

4. CHANGING MP3 FILES

5. Hard drive size not recognised and floppy drive not recognising disks

6. Windows and PostScript

7. CDRW not recognized as a CDRW but instead its recognized as a normal CDROM

8. Importing Win95 registry keys without bringing up the REGEDIT "success" display

9. Need help getting K7S5A motherboard recognizing AGP in XP

10. motherboard isn't being recognize

11. XP doesn't recognize Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard

12. GIF Animations not recognised: workaround not working

13. XP NOT LOADING & NOT RECOGNIZING HARD DRIVE