Mapping a network drive through a VPN Tunnel using WN XP

Mapping a network drive through a VPN Tunnel using WN XP

Post by Fran » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 07:33:43

I am trying to map a network drive from home (WIN XP) to
my work server (WIN 2000 server) and I keep getting an
unvalid path name.  I can do this with Win 98 going into
the server (WIN 2000).  What might be the problem?  Is
there anything that needs special attention or
activation?  I connect to the VPN ok but cannot map the
network drive.  Again, I have no problem mapping the drive
through WIN 98 using my user name and password but cannot
do it through WIN XP.  Can anyone advise?

Mapping a network drive through a VPN Tunnel using WN XP

Post by MV » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:30:56

Are you able to "ping" the server?  Are the network protocols on both
sides the same (as in TCP/IP or Internet Protocol).  Are you on the
same IP network as the server machine (i.e., your home network is on
192.168.1.x and your work network is on 192.168.1.x)?  This can
present additional difficulties (in this case, I would recommend
migrating to a different IP network).

Jeffrey Randow
Windows Client MVP - Remote Networking & Security
.NET Server Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows.netserver/community

Visit the Remote Networking Technology Wiki
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
of all USENET users.  Messages sent via email may or may not

Quote:>I am trying to map a network drive from home (WIN XP) to
>my work server (WIN 2000 server) and I keep getting an
>unvalid path name.  I can do this with Win 98 going into
>the server (WIN 2000).  What might be the problem?  Is
>there anything that needs special attention or
>activation?  I connect to the VPN ok but cannot map the
>network drive.  Again, I have no problem mapping the drive
>through WIN 98 using my user name and password but cannot
>do it through WIN XP.  Can anyone advise?

1. D: drive mapped network drive timing out with VPN

I am running into the following scenario.

I have a directory on my D drive on an NT box that is set up to be
shared.

I had no problem mapping that directory as a network drive until I went
to VPN (although I can't be sure that other network changes may have
occurred simultaneously.)

Anyway, now I can map to that directory but then the connection "goes away".
But ..., the drive does not go away, that is, the mapping is still
connected, I just can't access files in that directory anymore. The drive
is NOT "red x'ed out" from explorer. I have to disconnect the mapping,
and then re-map and then I am OK for about 10-15 minutes.

Again, I didn't have this problem when I was dialing up into the network,
only now that VPN is being used.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Joe

2. Add on Search app installed, can't get rid of it, help

3. cmak + vpn-tunnel + adding a route through the tunnel after connect

4. volume problems with SB Audigy?

5. VPN's and Secure IP Tunnels (why wont AltaVista tunnel work?)

6. Outlook XP and IE 6 don't get along

7. Mapping a network drive thru router to Win2k server

8. LoadImage

9. Network Drive Mappings from Sun/UNIX to see on Win XP failed after several uses

10. Windows XP Mapped Network Drives uses long comment

11. Conecting to company network thru XP Pro VPN

12. VPN - cannot map network drive ?

13. Tunneling VPN Virtual Private Networking