Upgrading from W2K Professional to XP Professional

Upgrading from W2K Professional to XP Professional

Post by Luis » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 06:25:45

Hi.  I will be upgrading from W2K Professional to XP Professional.  Is it recommended that I do a clean install of XP, or will a simple upgrade on top of W2K be sufficient?

Thank you all in advance.

Luis

Upgrading from W2K Professional to XP Professional

Post by rpag » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 06:51:38

If you have the option, it is always far more wise to do a
clean install.  However, be sure that you do a complete
back up first!  You can even give the Files & Settings
transfer wizard a shot if you want.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi.  I will be upgrading from W2K Professional to XP

Professional.  Is it recommended that I do a clean install
of XP, or will a simple upgrade on top of W2K be
sufficient?
Quote:

>Thank you all in advance.

>Luis

>.

Upgrading from W2K Professional to XP Professional

Post by Gizmo :-\ » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 06:53:04

Upgrade will be fine (It will do a compatability check of your existing
progs and hardware before install so you will know if any likely probs) also
you will keep existing software settings. Doing a clean install you will
have to reinstall all software again.

Post by Michael Steven » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:13:40

Hi.  I will be upgrading from W2K Professional to XP Professional.  Is it
recommended that I do a clean install of XP, or will a simple upgrade on top
of W2K be sufficient?

Thank you all in advance.

Luis

The XP upgrade when done properly is very close to a clean install. Try the
upgrade first, but check the links below for tips on how to prep for it.
Approach the upgrade as if you were doing a clean install by backing up you
data.
For upgrading to XP Home or Pro, see the links below.
http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
XP Upgrade
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_2kupgrade.asp
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_9xupgrade.asp
See the link below for step on performing a Clean Install.
Known problems with XP upgrades.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html
Known Problems with Clean installs.
http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/Install/installbugs.htm
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

Post by Patrick Keena » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:36:13

Hi.  I will be upgrading from W2K Professional to XP Professional.  Is it
recommended that I do a clean install of XP, or will a simple upgrade on top
of W2K be sufficient?

Thank you all in advance.

Luis
============

Regardless of what you do, back up first. Run the Compatibility tester on
the XP CD (on the autorun) and pay attention to everything it reports.

I've done many successful upgrades, after running the compatibility tester.
However, on my own main system - this one - the upgrade hung, and I wound up
formatting and doing a clean install.

HTH
-pk

Upgrading from W2K Professional to XP Professional

Post by Ken Blak » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 13:11:38

Quote:> Hi.  I will be upgrading from W2K Professional to XP
Professional.
> Is it recommended that I do a clean install of XP, or will a
> simple upgrade on top of W2K be sufficient?

You'll get different opinions on this. Some people will tell you
that you should never do an upgrade over the top of any previous
operating system. Others will tell that that view made much more
sense with previous operating systems, but that XP replaces so
much of the previous operating system that upgrades are fine.

My personal view is somewhat between those two extremes (but is
much closer to the latter point of view). I recommend that you at
least try the upgrade, which in my experience, often works just
fine. Worst case, if problems develop, you can always reinstall
cleanly. This gives you the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup