16 Bit app slows with windows apps on XP

16 Bit app slows with windows apps on XP

Post by Barr » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:46:09

We are an accounting product solutions company. Our 16-
bit version is written FoxPro 2.6. Runs OK on XP -
provided you haven't launched any other app. If you, for
example, had opened and then closed excel, and
subsequently tried to run our accounting app, it is so
sloooow that is is in fact unusable. If you were to
reboot and then go into the app, it seems OK again. Have
searched MS knowledgebase to no avail. HELP Please!!!

16 Bit app slows with windows apps on XP

Post by Earl Lewi » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 00:14:58

maybe: rclick the shortcut, Properties | Compatibility mode Tab

run it as a Win98 app?
Earl

Quote:>We are an accounting product solutions company. Our 16-
>bit version is written FoxPro 2.6. Runs OK on XP -
>provided you haven't launched any other app. If you, for
>example, had opened and then closed excel, and
>subsequently tried to run our accounting app, it is so
>sloooow that is is in fact unusable. If you were to
>reboot and then go into the app, it seems OK again. Have
>searched MS knowledgebase to no avail. HELP Please!!!

Remove no_spam to reply email

Post by Barr » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 17:31:59

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>maybe: rclick the shortcut, Properties | Compatibility
mode Tab

>run it as a Win98 app?
>Earl

>On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 02:46:09 -0700, "Barry"

>>We are an accounting product solutions company. Our 16-
>>bit version is written FoxPro 2.6. Runs OK on XP -
>>provided you haven't launched any other app. If you,
for
>>example, had opened and then closed excel, and
>>subsequently tried to run our accounting app, it is so
>>sloooow that is is in fact unusable. If you were to
>>reboot and then go into the app, it seems OK again.
Have
>>searched MS knowledgebase to no avail. HELP Please!!!

>Remove no_spam to reply email
>.
>Thanks Earl, Have tried that, but that change does not

take effect if the app resided on a network drive or
removable disk. I'm all out of ideas!

1. Migrating 16 bits Win 3.1 app to NT 4.0 16 bits app

Im migrating a VB 3.0 application running on Windows 3.1 to NT 4.0.  The

application use a lot of little 16 bits software and API calls an it
work well.  We'll migrate the application to a 32 bits version on NT 4.0

later, but for now an intermediate version running  16 bits on NT is our

target.

The only thing that doesn't work well is the mmcontrol vbx with the
sound card(sound blaster pro).  The code relative to the mmcontrol
doesn't crash but it doesn't make sound either.  We are not only playing

WAV file at a precise moment but the users can control the volume of the

WAV file to be played.

What can be an alternate solution with the lesser cost(time = money) to
correct this problem in a temporary 16 bits version of the application?

All I can see for now is playing WAV file directly without giving the
sound volume option to the users.  Knowing my users, it wont be easy to
convice them!

Thanks for any help.

2. About DXPAX 1.2 schedule...

3. 16 bit apps vs. 32 bit apps

4. devldr32.exe does not respond!!

5. A hung 16-bit app can block access to 32-bit apps too?

6. Odd behavior with start button not responding

7. Help - 16 bit window apps on 32 bit NT Client

8. WMP and AMG/CDDB

9. 16 Bit App Slows PC

10. 16-bit DLL version info from a 32-bit app?

11. 16-bit to 8-bit audio app (good result) where is it?

12. Calling 16-bit DLLs from 32-bit Apps

13. 16-bit apps with Win95 32-bit winsock