No Active Directory Icon (cannot browse active directory)

No Active Directory Icon (cannot browse active directory)

Post by Mark O'Brie » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:46:35

I have created a share and published it to the active
directory as spelled out in several help documents.  I am
experiencing a problem with a XP Pro client machine with
Netbios disabled.  The client machine is part of the
Windows 2000 server domain and can log in sucessfully.  In
windows explorer the active directory icon does not show
up when double clicking on the "Entire Network" icon.  I
can do a search and find the shared folder in the active
directory so I believe everything is setup correctly.

Is this normal?  I would have thought that I would have
been able to browse published items to the active directoy
even when Netbios was disabled.

No Active Directory Icon (cannot browse active directory)

Post by Mike Brannigan [MS » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:14:30

Quote:> the active directory icon does not show
> up when double clicking on the "Entire Network" icon.  I
> can do a search and find the shared folder in the active
> directory so I believe everything is setup correctly.

> Is this normal?  I would have thought that I would have
> been able to browse published items to the active directoy
> even when Netbios was disabled.

Yes - this is the correct behaviour.  The Active Directory icon browsing
was removed from Windows XP.  It is a security risk to allow users to
browse around.  They should either be given the resources they require
or use the search facility and appropriate search criteria to locate
additional resources.
If they do not know what they are looking for then they should certainly
not be browsing for it.
--
Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [MS]

rights

Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions.
Please use these newsgroups

Quote:> I have created a share and published it to the active

Post by Ron Low » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:33:53

> I have created a share and published it to the active
> directory as spelled out in several help documents.  I am
> experiencing a problem with a XP Pro client machine with
> Netbios disabled.  The client machine is part of the
> Windows 2000 server domain and can log in sucessfully.  In
> windows explorer the active directory icon does not show
> up when double clicking on the "Entire Network" icon.  I
> can do a search and find the shared folder in the active
> directory so I believe everything is setup correctly.

> Is this normal?  I would have thought that I would have
> been able to browse published items to the active directoy
> even when Netbios was disabled.

Aparently, MS consider this a security risk.
Many people do not agree.
After a much-heated argument, and a lot of hot air,
the following workaround was posted:

**************
The following process is TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED and provided AS IS with no
warranties, and confers no rights.
To re-enable the Directory folder on a Windows XP Professional client PC in
a Domain Environment:

1. Copy the dsfolder.dll from a Windows 2000 (SP2 or later) machine to the
Windows XP machines (It is in the SYSTEM32 folder under the WINNT folder on
Windows 2000 (by default) and needs to go into the SYSTEM32 folder usually
under WINDOWS on Windows XP (by default)

2. Close all instances of Windows Explorer

3. Run "regsvr32 dsfolder.dll" on the XP machines.

4. Done

The above process is TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED and provided AS IS with no
warranties, and confers no rights.
**************

It works for me.

--
Best Regards,
Ron Lowe.

No Active Directory Icon (cannot browse active directory)

Post by Mike Brannigan [MS » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:44:11

Thanks Ron,  I forgot to include the workaround I posted to another
group.  :-)
--
Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [MS]

rights

Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions.
Please use these newsgroups

Quote:> I have created a share and published it to the active
> directory as spelled out in several help documents.  I am
> experiencing a problem with a XP Pro client machine with
> Netbios disabled.  The client machine is part of the
> Windows 2000 server domain and can log in sucessfully.  In
> windows explorer the active directory icon does not show
> up when double clicking on the "Entire Network" icon.  I
> can do a search and find the shared folder in the active
> directory so I believe everything is setup correctly.

> Is this normal?  I would have thought that I would have
> been able to browse published items to the active directoy
> even when Netbios was disabled.

Aparently, MS consider this a security risk.
Many people do not agree.
After a much-heated argument, and a lot of hot air,
the following workaround was posted:

**************
The following process is TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED and provided AS IS with no
warranties, and confers no rights.
To re-enable the Directory folder on a Windows XP Professional client PC
in
a Domain Environment:

1. Copy the dsfolder.dll from a Windows 2000 (SP2 or later) machine to
the
Windows XP machines (It is in the SYSTEM32 folder under the WINNT folder
on
Windows 2000 (by default) and needs to go into the SYSTEM32 folder
usually
under WINDOWS on Windows XP (by default)

2. Close all instances of Windows Explorer

3. Run "regsvr32 dsfolder.dll" on the XP machines.

4. Done

The above process is TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED and provided AS IS with no
warranties, and confers no rights.
**************

It works for me.

--
Best Regards,
Ron Lowe.
MS-MVP - Windows Networking

No Active Directory Icon (cannot browse active directory)

Post by Ron Low » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:55:03

Quote:> Thanks Ron,  I forgot to include the workaround I posted to another
> group.  :-)
> --
> Regards,

> Mike

NP, Mike.
Actually, I intentionally left your name off the credits for that, as a precaution...

I was reading your post in the same way I read most output from MS, ie by reading between the lines.   There's often as much information contained in what's _not_ said as there is in what _is_ said.

I knew you posted the original workaround.
So the fact you hadn't mentioned it raised an eyebrow.
I assumed that you had intentionally chosen not to repeat it.
And I wondered why.
I wondered if some internal fall-out might have followed it's original posting.

So I re-posted it without crediting the source so as not to re-involve you in any potential internal political fall-out.

Am I becoming a conspiricy theorist or what?
<Adjusts tinfoil hat>

--
Best Regards,
Ron Lowe.

1. w2k active directory GPO active desktop image changing

Through a GPO affecting everyone, I have set the active desktop to
turned on, and have set the image. In this policy the settings are as
follows:

enable active desktop - enabled
disable active desktop - disabled
disable all items - enabled
prohibit changes - enabled
prohibit adding items - enabled
prohibit deleting items - enabled
prohibit editing items - enabled
prohibit closing items - enabled
add/delete items - disabled
active desktop wallpaper - enabled
allow only bitmapped wallpaper - enabled

Before, I had disabled the allow only bitmapped wallpaper, and was
using a jpg for the image. I read on a few posts that there seem to be
problems when using html or jpeg, so I am now using the same exact
logo except in bmp format.

What was happening, is that for some reason throughout the day, for no
apparent reason, the wallpaper was changing to a web page - the user's
home page. The wall paper itself was set to just the company logo. The
file is nto read only, it should not have been locked... and it would
just occur sporadically.  MS has nothing documented. I searched
newsgroups... to no avail.

2. Mono Videos

3. How to browse Active Directory from windows xp?

4. Problems with Dec patch

5. Can't browse Active Directory

6. Two OS on one computer

7. Browsing Active Directory

8. OE-QuoteFix v1.10 - new strategies

9. browsing NT servers by W2k server (from Active Directory domain)

10. Active Directory icon removed in XP

11. Cannot connect to Active Directory

12. WM Services and Active Directory