Email client problems

Post by Lee » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:29:57

Can anybody help me ?
I can receive mail fine through my e-mail program, but
when i try to send mail i get the following error message
each time:

550 relay not permitted

Does anyone know what this means and if so can you tell
me how to fix it ?

Thanks, Lee

Email client problems

Post by David Cand » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:58:58

Are you connected to the ISP whose mail servers you are using?

--
http://www.g2mil.com/Apr2003.htm
http://prorev.com/forbesrussia.htm

> Can anybody help me ?
> I can receive mail fine through my e-mail program, but
> when i try to send mail i get the following error message
> each time:

> 550 relay not permitted

> Does anyone know what this means and if so can you tell
> me how to fix it ?

> Thanks, Lee

Email client problems

Post by Steve C. Ra » Sat, 03 May 2003 10:35:43

It means that your ISP has a address block that is on a "blacklist", such as
relays.osirusoft.com. It was placed there because of spamming. Contact your
ISP.

--
Steve C. Ray
Replace "mail" with "36db"

Quote:> Can anybody help me ?
> I can receive mail fine through my e-mail program, but
> when i try to send mail i get the following error message
> each time:

> 550 relay not permitted

> Does anyone know what this means and if so can you tell
> me how to fix it ?

> Thanks, Lee

Email client problems

Post by L Bec » Sat, 03 May 2003 11:50:19

What "relay not permitted" means is that the mail server you are using to
send your email messages is NOT the mail server of the ISP you are connected
to.  This ISP that you are connecting through does not allow you to send
email through their service trying to use a different SMTP mail server.  You
must use their mail server, which usually means using an email account
assigned to you through them.

Quote:> Can anybody help me ?