peer to peer connection using internet connection sharing

peer to peer connection using internet connection sharing

Post by Bill Sanderso » Fri, 31 May 2002 23:46:28

You need to read up on VPN

www.microsoft.com/vpn is one link--perhaps not the best for a beginning, but
easy to remember.

XP Pro can host a single incoming VPN connection, so you have everything you
need.

D creates a VPN connection with A.  A gives D an IP address on the private
lan behind A.  D can then communicate with B over this secure, encrypted,
private tunnel over the Internet.

This stuff is dead easy to get going--the one trick is that you will need to
dig into the IP properties of the Incoming Connections icon in Network
Connections on A (once you create it!) to give it a specific range of IP
addresses to give out which will be on the private LAN, but not already in
use. (192.168.0.200 through 202??)

You won't be able to browse, but you can use a hosts file or go directly by
Machine B's IP address. (start, run, \\machineBIPaddress <enter> )

Quote:> Hi!

> I would like to know if it is possible to share an internet connection in
> LAN and be able to establish direct connection between a remote system and
> system within the LAN to exchange files?

> For example, I have 2 PCs connected to the internet using a gateway PC.
> Computer A is the main system that is connected to the internet via the
ISP.

Post by Brian Sullivan -MV » Fri, 31 May 2002 22:52:04

> Hi!

> I would like to know if it is possible to share an internet
> connection in a LAN and be able to establish direct connection
> between a remote system and a system within the LAN to exchange files?

> For example, I have 2 PCs connected to the internet using a gateway
> PC. Computer A is the main system that is connected to the internet
> via the ISP. Computers B & C are connected to A via an ehternet LAN.
> All systems are using Windows XP and ICS. All systems are able to use
> the web browser to view and download external pages and files without
> any problems.

> However, when using Windows Messenger only PC A is able to send and
> receive files. PCs B & C cannot send or receive files with any
> computers outside the LAN. At the same time PCs B & C cannot
> establish any direct connections (peer-to-peer) with any external
> systems.

> I have tried several proxy apps, like WinProxy, AnalogX without any
> success. Is there a way to make able PCs B & C to establish direct
> connections (incoming traffic) with external computer (PC D see
> diagram)? In particular I'm interested in using PC Anywhere or VNC on
> PC B and be able to connect to PC B from a remote location using the
> internet.

> Many thanks in advance.

> Bino.

If A is running some sort of NAT ( ICS is a NAT) -- you should be able to
connect outgoing from B to D using PCanywhere, VNC, NetMeeting or Messenger.
Making an incoming connection should be possible as well -- provided the
correct port(s) are forwarded by A to B for PCAnywhere, NetMeeting and VNC
( for NetMeeting tcp 1503 is the port).

File transfer issues:

VNC -- afaik does not have file transfer capability
NetMeeting - file transfer is possible either way if connected
Messenger -- requires a range of ports forwarded for file transfer
PCAnywhere -- I think file transfer is possible either way if connected - I
don't know the port requirements but google will probably reveal that

--
Brian Sullivan - MVP
Meeting by Wire ( http://www.meetingbywire.com)

1. serial port connection using ppp or slip (peer to peer connection)

I I am writing a network game like MsHeart and I would like to test it
over a serial connection between two pc at home. I am using sockets to
communicate. Is their a way to make the sockets talk to each other over
a serial port connectino using ppp or slip. I hear ppp was made for
modem communication. Anyway if someone has alot of expertise in network
and socket I would like to know more about the feasebility of a serial
connection. Thanx

2. Itellimouse explore 3.0 accelerations ???

3. PCs on a Windows 98 Peer To Peer LAN Sharing An Internet Connection

4. How to save FileMgr Search Result Window in a disk

5. Peer-to-Peer Connection using A Crossover Cable (from Win98 to WinXP Professional Ed)

6. Corrupted Windows installer:vs:2.016

7. MS ODBC under OS/2

8. How to achieve 100Mbps connection on a peer-to-peer LAN

9. Peer to peer connection

10. Slow and problematic Peer-peer network connections

11. Peer to Peer connection with 2 WinXP Pro

12. Problem with Peer-to-Peer Connections in WinXP Pro