Dial-up probs

Post by David Oxlad » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:35:57

Hi,

After installing SP 1 on a friend's computer, when double-clicking on
IE, the machine no longer asks to connect to the internet (via a dial-up
modem connection).  She can still connect manually (i.e. double-clicking
on the connection icon) but this isn't really acceptable (she's almost
completely computer illerate!)...  Is there a fix for this?

TIA,

Dave

Dial-up probs

Post by David Oxlad » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:41:42

> Hi,

> After installing SP 1 on a friend's computer, when double-clicking on
> IE, the machine no longer asks to connect to the internet (via a dial-up
> modem connection).  She can still connect manually (i.e. double-clicking
> on the connection icon) but this isn't really acceptable (she's almost
> completely computer illerate!)...  Is there a fix for this?

> TIA,

> Dave

BTW, I forgot to mention that I tried to set up a new connection (the
same as the old one) and upon clicking 'Finish', the following error
message appeared -

Cannot enable shared access.

Error 1061: The service cannot accept control messages
at this time.

The connection has been created but without firewall protection (or
something...)

I'm not sure if this is relevant...

Dave

Dial-up probs

Post by Dan Smit » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:50:21

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>After installing SP 1 on a friend's computer, when double-
clicking on
>IE, the machine no longer asks to connect to the internet
(via a dial-up
>modem connection).  She can still connect manually (i.e.
double-clicking
>on the connection icon) but this isn't really acceptable
(she's almost
>completely computer illerate!)...  Is there a fix for
this?

>TIA,

>Dave

Immediately uninstall that sucker, and if you didn't save
a backup to uninstall, then do a System Restore. If that
doesn't work, do a repiar job on it. SP1 will sooner or
later force you to use newer peripherals that will cost
you dearly and MS makes the money since SP1 was
implemented with the help of parts and peripherals makers
for PCs, and they were al incahoots. Sooner or later this
will be inevitable.

Dial-up probs

Post by camshaf » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:08:13

Hi Dave,

Try this: Right click "Internet Explorer" on the start menu and select
"Internet Properties". Click the "Connecton" tab. Make sure that "Always
dial my default connection" is selected. Also make sure that the new
connection you created is set as the default.

I hope this is moderately more helpful than Dan's advice.

Cheers,
camshaft

Quote:> Hi,

> After installing SP 1 on a friend's computer, when double-clicking on
> IE, the machine no longer asks to connect to the internet (via a dial-up
> modem connection).  She can still connect manually (i.e. double-clicking
> on the connection icon) but this isn't really acceptable (she's almost
> completely computer illerate!)...  Is there a fix for this?

> TIA,

> Dave

Dial-up probs

Post by Robert » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:42:00

Quote:

> Immediately uninstall that sucker, and if you didn't save
> a backup to uninstall, then do a System Restore. If that
> doesn't work, do a repiar job on it. SP1 will sooner or
> later force you to use newer peripherals that will cost
> you dearly and MS makes the money since SP1 was
> implemented with the help of parts and peripherals makers
> for PCs, and they were al incahoots. Sooner or later this
> will be inevitable.

Dan, do you truly believe this, or are you just being silly to get a
bite????
The latter I hope.

Cheers

Dial-up probs

Post by David Oxlad » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:20:41

> Hi Dave,

> Try this: Right click "Internet Explorer" on the start menu and select
> "Internet Properties". Click the "Connecton" tab. Make sure that "Always
> dial my default connection" is selected. Also make sure that the new
> connection you created is set as the default.

> I hope this is moderately more helpful than Dan's advice.

> Cheers,
> camshaft

Thanks for you reply.  Unfortunately, I'd already done that...
Selecting 'Make Default connection' doesn't actually do that.  This is
probably the problem...  I'm just hunting around in the registry to see
if I can find anything of any relevance...

Dave

Dial-up probs

Post by Michael Steven » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:36:51

Quote:

> [...]

Dan,
Your posts are very counter productive, you give the poster an immediate
sense of doom and gloom with your posts. The fact is, there are problems,
but it looks like the majority of people updating to SP1 are not
experiencing the problems. The newsgroups and the volunteers supporting the
newsgroups are performing as they were expected. There are a small number of
posters shifting the blame to anyone other than Microsoft, and they are
prolific and wrong in many instances.
The reason you see little MVP presence could be that we don't reply to rants
that have no information to determine how to help the poster, or we don't
know how to fix the problem "YET". I personally have not experienced any of
the problems posted, so I have no first hand experience to supply to the
person with the problem. Either I am incredibly skilled , or lucky. I expect
the lucky part is more likely, but I also don't know many people personally
that have had problems.
It's silly to attack someone that suggests that a person that applies a
major update that informs they should make a backup and then should not be
told they are partially to blame for the data loss. Sure the update should
work, but it's unrealistic to believe any software is 100% compatible with
every single system combination imaginable. Many of the people voicing there
displeasure with XP, supply no helpful information. How do you help them?
Please tell me............................

So far the posters that have given helpful information; the slow down after
install seems to be the most serious one that hasn't been addressed. I did
have one system that demonstrated a slowness, but it cleared up after a few
reboots. Many of the problem posts are just redundant posts about the same
OE problem that shows a lack of previously scanning the newsgroups for
similar problem posts and fixes or work around.

The high traffic and redundant posts can also be traced back to the Web
Format that many of the new poster are using for access. For the first time
Windows is including a link in the Help and Support console, and the
majority of the new newsgroup users accessing from this link;  have no
concept of newsgroup protocol. Many think it is a real time MS support forum
and have no concept of NNPT or it's history.

--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com

Dial-up probs

Post by camshaf » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:44:13

Hi Dave,

Try having a look at the properties for the conection you have made. Under
the "Options" tab there are things like "Prompt for name and password,
certificate etc", and "Prompt for phone number".  Maybe this could be the
answer.

Cheers,
camshaft.

Quote:

> Thanks for you reply.  Unfortunately, I'd already done that...
> Selecting 'Make Default connection' doesn't actually do that.  This is
> probably the problem...  I'm just hunting around in the registry to see
> if I can find anything of any relevance...

> Dave

Dial-up probs

Post by David Oxlad » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:53:28

> Hi Dave,

> Try having a look at the properties for the conection you have made. Under
> the "Options" tab there are things like "Prompt for name and password,
> certificate etc", and "Prompt for phone number".  Maybe this could be the
> answer.

> Cheers,
> camshaft.

>>Thanks for you reply.  Unfortunately, I'd already done that...
>>Selecting 'Make Default connection' doesn't actually do that.  This is
>>probably the problem...  I'm just hunting around in the registry to see
>>if I can find anything of any relevance...

>>Dave

Again, cheers for the reply.  I'm almost positive that I checked those
options out as well...  (I'm not in front of the machine at the moment
so I can't check).  I did find a registry entry that might be the
answer, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/RAS
AutoDial/Default/DefaultInternet is the only mention of default dial-up
connections...  I'll give that a go this evening...

Dave

1. Dial-up prob and Network Conn prob

I wrote in about a week ago due to the fact that I can't
establish a dial-up conn. I keep getting the error
720.."need to adjust settings for this connection", and I
was told basically how it should be resolved. In my
protocol settings I only have the Client for Microsoft
networks and the tcp/ip installed. In the device manager
only my ethernet card shows up in the network adapters
heading. Where is the dial-up adapter? Do i need to
reinstall it or should that be in my modem drivers or what?
Also after i create a connection It shows up the first
time in the network connections window. The next time it
is gone. Does this only showup when the connection is
active? Please help. I desperately miss 98SE. Thanks,
Isaiah

2. Delay switching URL's

3. Network Dial-Up Pops up on Start ups and Reboots

4. Am I being spied on? Pls help

5. dial-up pop ups

6. Trapping events / touch screen

7. XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

8. Computer Freezes

9. got a prob with my dial-up

10. Dial-up connection probs

11. NT installing sound drivers and dial-up networking prob.

12. HELP: Network causing dial-up perf probs

13. Dial-up setting prob.