Stop Error: C0000221 Bad Image Checksum

Post by lorn » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:35:22

Greetings everyone,
This is a new one for me, I hope someone has already delt with it (with
success!).
Dell computer, with XP Home.
Windows will not boot up.  Upon startup, the computer goes to the XP splash
screen then the blue window with the following:

STOP: C0000221 (Bad Image Checksum)
The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksumdoes not match
the computed checksum.

The computer will not boot into safe mode either.  I tried all options.
Suggestions before I try formatting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Stop Error: C0000221 Bad Image Checksum

Post by Gerry Cornel » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:35:43

Lorne

Two Knowledge Base Articles which may help you get to the Recovery Console.

Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310994

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

The following Knowledge Base Article deals with replacing a damaged file e.g. wininet.dll
"Bad Image Checksum" Error When You Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326687

You do not  tell us  what went before the problem occurred. Was your Windows XP an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows or a new installation of Windows XP?

Some of the procedures described in these Articles are quite involved. Article 307654 points out in the Summary "This method is recommended only if you are an advanced user".

--
~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Greetings everyone,
> This is a new one for me, I hope someone has already delt with it (with
> success!).
> Dell computer, with XP Home.
> Windows will not boot up.  Upon startup, the computer goes to the XP splash
> screen then the blue window with the following:

> STOP: C0000221 (Bad Image Checksum)
> The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksumdoes not match
> the computed checksum.

> The computer will not boot into safe mode either.  I tried all options.
> Suggestions before I try formatting would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks all

Stop Error: C0000221 Bad Image Checksum

Post by lorn » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:44:00

Thanks Gerry,
Right now my issue is that I cant get the computer to boot up at all.
Setting the boot order with the cd rom first, the computer boots up to the
same blue screen.

The dell computer came with XP installed.  It belongs to a customer of mine.
She said she might have opened an email about a week ago and she thinks that
is when the problem began.

I have been able to boot using a boot disk but at the c prompt, it cannot
detect the drive (im figuring its probably NTFS and my disk wont read
that..... sound like im on the right track?)

[...]

Quote:> Greetings everyone,
> This is a new one for me, I hope someone has already delt with it (with
> success!).
> Dell computer, with XP Home.
> Windows will not boot up.  Upon startup, the computer goes to the XP
splash
> screen then the blue window with the following:

> STOP: C0000221 (Bad Image Checksum)
> The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksumdoes not
match
> the computed checksum.

> The computer will not boot into safe mode either.  I tried all options.
> Suggestions before I try formatting would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks all

Stop Error: C0000221 Bad Image Checksum

Post by Duran » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:29:45

You say you can't boot to the XP cd either even though it's set to boot from the
cd first? Even if you were able to get into the recovery console, you would have
to enable the recovery console access to all drives in the local security policy
if you have the pro version. As for home, you'll have to do that in the
registry, but that's a moot point now. If you can go to www.systernals.com and
download a copy of erd commander. It's gonna cost you though. Other than that,
I'd suggest doing a reformat and reinstall XP assuming you got the computer
complete with the XP disc and key.

--
Durand

________________________________

Thanks Gerry,
Right now my issue is that I cant get the computer to boot up at all.
Setting the boot order with the cd rom first, the computer boots up to the
same blue screen.

The dell computer came with XP installed.  It belongs to a customer of mine.
She said she might have opened an email about a week ago and she thinks that
is when the problem began.

I have been able to boot using a boot disk but at the c prompt, it cannot
detect the drive (im figuring its probably NTFS and my disk wont read
that..... sound like im on the right track?)

Lorne

Two Knowledge Base Articles which may help you get to the Recovery Console.

Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310994

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

The following Knowledge Base Article deals with replacing a damaged file
e.g. wininet.dll
"Bad Image Checksum" Error When You Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326687

You do not  tell us  what went before the problem occurred. Was your Windows
XP an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows or a new installation of
Windows XP?

Some of the procedures described in these Articles are quite involved.
Article 307654 points out in the Summary "This method is recommended only if
you are an advanced user".

--
~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:> Greetings everyone,
> This is a new one for me, I hope someone has already delt with it (with
> success!).
> Dell computer, with XP Home.
> Windows will not boot up.  Upon startup, the computer goes to the XP
splash
> screen then the blue window with the following:

> STOP: C0000221 (Bad Image Checksum)
> The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksumdoes not
match
> the computed checksum.

> The computer will not boot into safe mode either.  I tried all options.
> Suggestions before I try formatting would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks all

Stop Error: C0000221 Bad Image Checksum

Post by lorn » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:35:46

what do i do if and when i access the recovery console?

> [...]

> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> > Greetings everyone,
> > This is a new one for me, I hope someone has already delt with it (with
> > success!).
> > Dell computer, with XP Home.
> > Windows will not boot up.  Upon startup, the computer goes to the XP
> splash
> > screen then the blue window with the following:

> > STOP: C0000221 (Bad Image Checksum)
> > The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksumdoes not
> match
> > the computed checksum.

> > The computer will not boot into safe mode either.  I tried all options.
> > Suggestions before I try formatting would be greatly appreciated.

1. WinXP PC won't boot: Error Stop: c0000221 Bad Image Checksum...

Hello, After removing software for my Creative Labs sound
card and then removing the sound card from the PC I can
NO longer boot up WinXP. Each time I reboot I get this
same error: Stop: c0000221 [Bad Image Checksum] The image
olesvr32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum
does not match the computed checksum. I can boot from the
WinXP Professional CD-Rom, but don't know what to do when
presented to setup WinXP or to repair WinXP because the
repair appears to be for installation. Can anyone help me
and help me fast? Of course the PC that is down is my
MAIN PC with all my current data on it. Thanks Kim

2. Customer error messages in IIS 4

3. STOP: C0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} ?

4. Access to some Secure Sites, but not others

5. NT4 STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}

6. registry problem in EVC

7. XP Problem - STOP: c000021 {bad image checksum}

8. Reinstalling Outlook Express in XP

9. "Bad Image Checksum" error - msvcrt.dll

10. bad image checksum

11. Bad image checksum

12. Bad Image Checksum, any ideas?

13. Bad Image Checksum