External CD/CDRW drive not recognised

Post by Freddie Meynel » Tue, 26 Aug 2003 07:00:40

I'm having problems trying to set up a new Freecom
Classic External CD/CDRW drive purchased today. Basically
the problem is that my PC (running on Win XP Pro SP1)
can't recognise the drive. I've tried every avenue I can
think of, plugging in the USB 1 & 2 ports, hot-plugging,
unplugging & replugging power, using every option & sub-
option on the 'Add Hardware Wizard', scanned for P&P
alterations in Device Manager, rebooted & rebooted. The
light on the front of the unit flashes quickly
continuously but that's it. No recognition. CD drawer
doesn't respond to being pressed. I've also tried it on
my laptop with identical results - or should I say no
result. All other USB devices work OK. Have tried going
via a  powered Hub & direct USB ports.
I have a feeling it might be a dodgy unit, as I noticed
that when you insert either the USB or power cords, the
chassis on the inside seems slightly loose or certainly
gives way a little. Perhaps this is normal?
Grateful for any suggestions