Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by -781 » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 05:39:10

I bought an upgrade and a full install XP cd's.
The full installation cd seems to be damaged and I can't return it because I
opened the box.
Upon upgrading to XP, I noticed that there is an option for upgrade or full
installation.
If I use the Upgrade CD and choose full or clean installation, would I be
able to do a full installation if I enter the key that came with the damaged
full installation cd?
Or to be simple, does the cd include both (upgrade and full installation) on
one cd and do the cd product keys decide whether to allow a certain type of
installation?
Thanks for any assistance.
If I can install a full installation from the upgrade cd using full install
key, it would save me time trying to get a working cd.
gino

Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by Andy Dea » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:17:17

Yes you can do a full clean installation from XP upgrade but partway through
you will be asked to insert a Win98 or ME CD as verification. Why not just
give Microsoft a phone call, explain the situation. They'll no doubt replace
your damaged CD if you post it to them. They aren't ogres you know.
Andy

Quote:> I bought an upgrade and a full install XP cd's.
> The full installation cd seems to be damaged and I can't return it because
> opened the box.
> Upon upgrading to XP, I noticed that there is an option for upgrade or
full
> installation.
> If I use the Upgrade CD and choose full or clean installation, would I be
> able to do a full installation if I enter the key that came with the
damaged
> full installation cd?
> Or to be simple, does the cd include both (upgrade and full installation)
on
> one cd and do the cd product keys decide whether to allow a certain type
of
> installation?
> Thanks for any assistance.
> If I can install a full installation from the upgrade cd using full
install
> key, it would save me time trying to get a working cd.
> gino

Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by -781 » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:11:51

Thanks for your input.
Well, since it's possible to do it, might as well save time :).
So, if I use the cd key that upgrade cd has, and my WinME cd, I should be
fine?
Or should I use full install xp cd's key?
gino

> Yes you can do a full clean installation from XP upgrade but partway
through
> you will be asked to insert a Win98 or ME CD as verification. Why not just
> give Microsoft a phone call, explain the situation. They'll no doubt
replace
> your damaged CD if you post it to them. They aren't ogres you know.
> Andy

> > I bought an upgrade and a full install XP cd's.
> > The full installation cd seems to be damaged and I can't return it
because
> > opened the box.
> > Upon upgrading to XP, I noticed that there is an option for upgrade or
> full
> > installation.
> > If I use the Upgrade CD and choose full or clean installation, would I
be
> > able to do a full installation if I enter the key that came with the
> damaged
> > full installation cd?
> > Or to be simple, does the cd include both (upgrade and full
installation)
> on
> > one cd and do the cd product keys decide whether to allow a certain type
> of
> > installation?
> > Thanks for any assistance.
> > If I can install a full installation from the upgrade cd using full
> install
> > key, it would save me time trying to get a working cd.
> > gino

Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by Mike Byrn » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:28:50

Actually you can use any CD to qualify all the way back to Windows 95 folks!

> Yes you can do a full clean installation from XP upgrade but partway
through
> you will be asked to insert a Win98 or ME CD as verification. Why not just
> give Microsoft a phone call, explain the situation. They'll no doubt
replace
> your damaged CD if you post it to them. They aren't ogres you know.
> Andy

> > I bought an upgrade and a full install XP cd's.
> > The full installation cd seems to be damaged and I can't return it
because
> > opened the box.
> > Upon upgrading to XP, I noticed that there is an option for upgrade or
> full
> > installation.
> > If I use the Upgrade CD and choose full or clean installation, would I
be
> > able to do a full installation if I enter the key that came with the
> damaged
> > full installation cd?
> > Or to be simple, does the cd include both (upgrade and full
installation)
> on
> > one cd and do the cd product keys decide whether to allow a certain type
> of
> > installation?
> > Thanks for any assistance.
> > If I can install a full installation from the upgrade cd using full
> install
> > key, it would save me time trying to get a working cd.
> > gino

Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by peter cowi » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:02:10

You can't use the Win 95 Cd to qualify, only Win 98 and up.
Peter cowie

> Actually you can use any CD to qualify all the way back to Windows 95
folks!

> > Yes you can do a full clean installation from XP upgrade but partway
> through
> > you will be asked to insert a Win98 or ME CD as verification. Why not
just
> > give Microsoft a phone call, explain the situation. They'll no doubt
> replace
> > your damaged CD if you post it to them. They aren't ogres you know.
> > Andy

> > > I bought an upgrade and a full install XP cd's.
> > > The full installation cd seems to be damaged and I can't return it
> because
> > > opened the box.
> > > Upon upgrading to XP, I noticed that there is an option for upgrade or
> > full
> > > installation.
> > > If I use the Upgrade CD and choose full or clean installation, would I
> be
> > > able to do a full installation if I enter the key that came with the
> > damaged
> > > full installation cd?
> > > Or to be simple, does the cd include both (upgrade and full
> installation)
> > on
> > > one cd and do the cd product keys decide whether to allow a certain
type
> > of
> > > installation?
> > > Thanks for any assistance.
> > > If I can install a full installation from the upgrade cd using full
> > install
> > > key, it would save me time trying to get a working cd.
> > > gino

Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by Mike Byrn » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:15:27

Check the MVP postings here.  You cant upgrade from it but you can wipe the
HD and use XP upgrade media to do a clean install as long as you have Win95
media to insert when prompted!

> You can't use the Win 95 Cd to qualify, only Win 98 and up.
> Peter cowie

> > Actually you can use any CD to qualify all the way back to Windows 95
> folks!

> > > Yes you can do a full clean installation from XP upgrade but partway
> > through
> > > you will be asked to insert a Win98 or ME CD as verification. Why not
> just
> > > give Microsoft a phone call, explain the situation. They'll no doubt
> > replace
> > > your damaged CD if you post it to them. They aren't ogres you know.
> > > Andy

> > because
> > > full
> > be
> > > damaged
> > installation)
> > > on
> type
> > > of
> > > install

Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by -781 » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:13:07

Would WinME Upgrade cd work?

> Check the MVP postings here.  You cant upgrade from it but you can wipe
the
> HD and use XP upgrade media to do a clean install as long as you have
Win95
> media to insert when prompted!

> > You can't use the Win 95 Cd to qualify, only Win 98 and up.
> > Peter cowie

> > > Actually you can use any CD to qualify all the way back to Windows 95
> > folks!

> > > through
> > just
> > > replace

> > > because
> or
> > > be
> > > installation)
> > type

Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by Sharo » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:18:40

Go ahead and use the Upgrade cd key with the Upgrade cd.
The difference betwee Full and Upgrade is not the key. It's the setup file.

The Full cd and the upgrade cd will perform an upgrade or clean install.

The Upgrade cd, however, will require proof of a qualifying operating system
before it will finish the setup process.

Sharon

Quote:> I bought an upgrade and a full install XP cd's.
> The full installation cd seems to be damaged and I can't return it because
> opened the box.
> Upon upgrading to XP, I noticed that there is an option for upgrade or
full
> installation.
> If I use the Upgrade CD and choose full or clean installation, would I be
> able to do a full installation if I enter the key that came with the
damaged
> full installation cd?
> Or to be simple, does the cd include both (upgrade and full installation)
on
> one cd and do the cd product keys decide whether to allow a certain type
of
> installation?
> Thanks for any assistance.
> If I can install a full installation from the upgrade cd using full
install
> key, it would save me time trying to get a working cd.
> gino

Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by Sharo » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 05:04:39

Yes

> Would WinME Upgrade cd work?

> > Check the MVP postings here.  You cant upgrade from it but you can wipe
> the
> > HD and use XP upgrade media to do a clean install as long as you have
> Win95
> > media to insert when prompted!

> > > You can't use the Win 95 Cd to qualify, only Win 98 and up.
> > > Peter cowie

> > > folks!

> not
> > > just

> upgrade
> > or
> would
> the
> certain
> > > type
> full

Upgrade and Full Install on one cd?

Post by -781 » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:31:14

Thank you for your help guys.
gino