Networking XP and 98 help

Post by Ryan Doyl » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 05:55:46

Hi

I just got an XP desktop. We have two other computers with 98. All 3 are
connected to the hub with Internet Sharing via the hub. I ran the Networking
Wizard on XP and made the disk for the 98 computers.

When I go to run the Wizard on the one 98 computer, the Wizard tells me the
computer has no network card install and won't let me run the Wizard. I am
able to access the Internet on this computer.

I was able to run the Wizard on the other 98 computer but it isn't
communicating with the XP computer. I have a shared printer on the XP
computer it doesn't see.

The 98 computers are communicating.

Any help is appreciated.

RD

Networking XP and 98 help

Post by Cari » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:18:30

Quote:> Hi

> I just got an XP desktop. We have two other computers with 98. All 3 are
> connected to the hub with Internet Sharing via the hub. I ran the
Networking
> Wizard on XP and made the disk for the 98 computers.

> When I go to run the Wizard on the one 98 computer, the Wizard tells me
the
> computer has no network card install and won't let me run the Wizard. I am
> able to access the Internet on this computer.

> I was able to run the Wizard on the other 98 computer but it isn't
> communicating with the XP computer. I have a shared printer on the XP
> computer it doesn't see.

> The 98 computers are communicating.

> Any help is appreciated.

> RD

See Steve Winograd's instructions on adding you XP PC to your existing
network at:  http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

Cari
www.coribright.com

Networking XP and 98 help

Post by Jaybe » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:23:21

I found that one way that works is to enable Guest acct, make sure that ICF
is not enabled, and then to use the Network Setup Wizard once, being sure to
make the workgroup the same as the win98 not MSHOME as is the default, but
near the end when it asks you to create a setup disk, don't select this,
just select the button that is to End the Wizard.
Now is seems you can use the Sharing and Security tab of the Properties of
any folder, if you are logged as admin, or your own if your are a user.  You
would enable the radio button that allows network access, in either the read
mode or the read and edit mode, using the appropriate radio buttons below
the network button.

After this, I found that I could turn off the Guest account and still access
all shares from the XP and to the XP machine.

I have two accounts on the XP machine, admin with password, and myself as a
user with no password.  and there seems to be no limitation to access of
shares as long as they don't require admin rights exclusively.

Interesting!

> > Hi

> > I just got an XP desktop. We have two other computers with 98. All 3 are
> > connected to the hub with Internet Sharing via the hub. I ran the
> Networking
> > Wizard on XP and made the disk for the 98 computers.

> > When I go to run the Wizard on the one 98 computer, the Wizard tells me
> the
> > computer has no network card install and won't let me run the Wizard. I
am
> > able to access the Internet on this computer.

> > I was able to run the Wizard on the other 98 computer but it isn't
> > communicating with the XP computer. I have a shared printer on the XP
> > computer it doesn't see.

> > The 98 computers are communicating.

> > Any help is appreciated.

> > RD

> See Steve Winograd's instructions on adding you XP PC to your existing
> network at:  http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

> Cari
> www.coribright.com

1. XP & 98 network wants to use ICS through a 98 gateway

We've got 5 computers, 3 on 98 and 2 on XP. After some problems manged to
get all computers to network but cannot get ICS to work.

When internet connection is transferred to a XP machine, it works fine but
we really need it on the 98 machine (which is too low spec to handle XP).

If anyone has any ideas - please help.

Thanks.

2. A better SHBrowseFolder()

3. Windows XP, Windows 98 SE, Windows 98 Network Oddball Behavior

4. Convert .imm files to .dbx?

5. Help with peer-to-peer network w/ crossover CAT5 (98 to XP)

6. Is NT 4.0 SMP

7. Networking XP to 98...Need Help

8. Cassiopeia E-115 & Nokia 6110

9. XP and 98 networking "challenges" HELP?!

10. Need Help in networking 98 to XP

11. Help needed with Win Xp Pro and Win 98 Network

12. 98 and XP network (NOT) Help!!!! :(

13. Stuck Halfway Thru XP & 98 Networking ... HELP!