XP Networking

Post by D » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:48:06

I like XP but find its networking and wizards befuddling. Just tonight I
found a need to make my computer a host for Internet Connection Sharing
(while my broadband cable is out for the next few days). I installed AOL.
Then went searching for a way to share this connection with the four other
systems on my home network (Ethernet 100 BaseT). Only place where I found
something was through running the networking wizard.

Its confusing, because to run this it seems like XP is assuming you don't
have a network set-up. I did, everything was working before I ran the wizard
(it was the only apparent way I could find to share my connection on the
host computer). After I ran the wizard I took the Setup Disk to another
computer (as instructed) to run. Why - I don't know. I just did as I was
told. Previous fiddling around with my network involved more straightforward
twiddling with things and not so mysteriously delving into a wizard and you
don't know what and why things are being changed/whatever.

Anyway to make a long story short - the network setup disk on the other
computer continually generated an error box. Then when I tried to access
resources on other systems in the network they were no longer accessible - I
was forbidden off everything even though the workgroup names stayed the same
(before i was simply promoted for a password).

Thank God for System Restore - I had a restore point from just an hour
before the fiasco started.

Anyone have any input on the flakiness of this whole jive incident? What in
the world has MS done with networking - what were they thinking? Did they
actually think they were making things straightforward? Why can't you simply
turn ICS on and why doesn't the setup disk work? Or why can't plainly
written instructions be given to just go in and manually set up the setting
in the other computers? Having setup up several small home networks...why
have I found everything so much simpler when and then?

Daniel

XP Networking

Post by Jim Eshelma » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 19:39:02

Quote:> I like XP but find its networking and wizards befuddling. Just tonight I
> found a need to make my computer a host for Internet Connection Sharing
> (while my broadband cable is out for the next few days). I installed AOL.
> Then went searching for a way to share this connection with the four other
> systems on my home network (Ethernet 100 BaseT). Only place where I found
> something was through running the networking wizard.

> Its confusing, because to run this it seems like XP is assuming you don't
> have a network set-up.

This is exactly the assumption that was made. Some people have raised *y
hell about this because this assumption sometimes leads to it "breaking" a
perfectly working network.

In talking to some MS engineers about it last November, the general answer I
got was that they had to make *some* default assumptions. It seemed to me
they were saying that since the expectation was that the majority of XP
installations would be preinstalls on new hardware, and the wizards were
especially designed for people who didn't have the knowledge to manually set
up a network, that the best choice was to presume a * situation with no
existing network. (I'm grossly paraphrasing from memory of several months
ago.) In any case, with an existing network it is better to make the
modifications manually rather than through the wizard.

Quote:> Anyway to make a long story short - the network setup disk on the other
> computer continually generated an error box. Then when I tried to access
> resources on other systems in the network they were no longer accessible -
> was forbidden off everything even though the workgroup names stayed the
same
> (before i was simply promoted for a password).

I think you will find that the computer names were changed.

Quote:> Anyone have any input on the flakiness of this whole jive incident?

See above.

Quote:> What in
> the world has MS done with networking - what were they thinking?

They were creating a networking wizard for use by people who were setting up
a new system just out of the box, and know about as much about the technical
end of using a computer as they know about how their television or toaster
work. In other words, "Put in bread. Press handle. Wait for it to pop up"
level of instructions. Computers as home appliances.

Quote:> Why can't you simply
> turn ICS on and why doesn't the setup disk work? Or why can't plainly
> written instructions be given to just go in and manually set up the
setting
> in the other computers? Having setup up several small home networks...why
> have I found everything so much simpler when and then?

If you search in Help & Support for "Internet Connection Sharing," one of
the items that comes up is, "Enable Internet Connection Sharing on a network
connection." I think that's the one you wanted. Note that it says, "You
should not use this feature in a network with other domain controllers, DNS
servers, gateways, DHCP servers, or systems configured for static IP."
(Don't know if this applies in your case, but it sounds like it might.) It
then says, "When you enable Internet Connection Sharing, the network adapter
connected to the home or small office network is given a new static IP
address configuration. Existing TCP/IP connections on the Internet
Connection Sharing computer are lost and need to be reestablished."

--
Jim Eshelman MS-MVP
Windows Support Center: www.aumha.org

XP Networking

Post by Sharo » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 23:51:30

In addition to Jim's excellent answer, you may have some problem using ICS
with AOL. It does not use a standard network connection. Haven't followed
the issue too closely but I think you need to use proxy server software to
get it to work.
Sharon

Quote:> I like XP but find its networking and wizards befuddling. Just tonight I
> found a need to make my computer a host for Internet Connection Sharing
> (while my broadband cable is out for the next few days). I installed AOL.
> Then went searching for a way to share this connection with the four other
> systems on my home network (Ethernet 100 BaseT). Only place where I found
> something was through running the networking wizard.

> Its confusing, because to run this it seems like XP is assuming you don't
> have a network set-up. I did, everything was working before I ran the
wizard
> (it was the only apparent way I could find to share my connection on the
> host computer). After I ran the wizard I took the Setup Disk to another
> computer (as instructed) to run. Why - I don't know. I just did as I was
> told. Previous fiddling around with my network involved more
straightforward
> twiddling with things and not so mysteriously delving into a wizard and
you
> don't know what and why things are being changed/whatever.

> Anyway to make a long story short - the network setup disk on the other
> computer continually generated an error box. Then when I tried to access
> resources on other systems in the network they were no longer accessible -
> was forbidden off everything even though the workgroup names stayed the
same
> (before i was simply promoted for a password).

> Thank God for System Restore - I had a restore point from just an hour
> before the fiasco started.

> Anyone have any input on the flakiness of this whole jive incident? What
in
> the world has MS done with networking - what were they thinking? Did they
> actually think they were making things straightforward? Why can't you
simply
> turn ICS on and why doesn't the setup disk work? Or why can't plainly
> written instructions be given to just go in and manually set up the
setting
> in the other computers? Having setup up several small home networks...why
> have I found everything so much simpler when and then?

> Daniel

XP Networking

Post by Dan » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 00:08:36

Forget Internet Connection Sharing!  I gave up on ICS when I was using
Win98se and found a handy free proxy server utility that does the job with a
VERY small footprint.  It's AnalogX Proxy and can be found at
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm.  I tried again
to get ICS to work on my peer-to-peer home network when I installed XP and
again had problems.  AnalogX Proxy works fine on XP as well as earlier
versions of Windows and it is free.  Check out some of the other free
utilities this guy puts out at http://www.analogx.com.  I have to admire him
for his altruism.  I don't write code for free.

Dan
--
http://www.Auction-Sentry.com

Quote:> I like XP but find its networking and wizards befuddling. Just tonight I
> found a need to make my computer a host for Internet Connection Sharing
> (while my broadband cable is out for the next few days). I installed AOL.
> Then went searching for a way to share this connection with the four other
> systems on my home network (Ethernet 100 BaseT). Only place where I found
> something was through running the networking wizard.

> Its confusing, because to run this it seems like XP is assuming you don't
> have a network set-up. I did, everything was working before I ran the
wizard
> (it was the only apparent way I could find to share my connection on the
> host computer). After I ran the wizard I took the Setup Disk to another
> computer (as instructed) to run. Why - I don't know. I just did as I was
> told. Previous fiddling around with my network involved more
straightforward
> twiddling with things and not so mysteriously delving into a wizard and
you
> don't know what and why things are being changed/whatever.

> Anyway to make a long story short - the network setup disk on the other
> computer continually generated an error box. Then when I tried to access
> resources on other systems in the network they were no longer accessible -
> was forbidden off everything even though the workgroup names stayed the
same
> (before i was simply promoted for a password).

> Thank God for System Restore - I had a restore point from just an hour
> before the fiasco started.

> Anyone have any input on the flakiness of this whole jive incident? What
in
> the world has MS done with networking - what were they thinking? Did they
> actually think they were making things straightforward? Why can't you
simply
> turn ICS on and why doesn't the setup disk work? Or why can't plainly
> written instructions be given to just go in and manually set up the
setting
> in the other computers? Having setup up several small home networks...why
> have I found everything so much simpler when and then?

> Daniel

XP Networking

Post by D » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 20:36:32

Thanks Sharon....I erroneously answered JIm privately by the way...thanks
JIm

Daniel

--
http://www.GotLogos.com
Great Domain Graphics - Drink Up!

Got a Cool Web Site?  Get more traffic...
The Cool Site of the Day Award is listed by WIRED Magazine as
one of the top 5 rated Internet awards in the world. Submit your
site TODAY:  http://wetrack.it/csotd/af.cgi?aid=170&ent=2

> In addition to Jim's excellent answer, you may have some problem using ICS
> with AOL. It does not use a standard network connection. Haven't followed
> the issue too closely but I think you need to use proxy server software to
> get it to work.
> Sharon

> > I like XP but find its networking and wizards befuddling. Just tonight I
> > found a need to make my computer a host for Internet Connection Sharing
> > (while my broadband cable is out for the next few days). I installed
AOL.
> > Then went searching for a way to share this connection with the four
other
> > systems on my home network (Ethernet 100 BaseT). Only place where I
found
> > something was through running the networking wizard.

> > Its confusing, because to run this it seems like XP is assuming you
don't
> > have a network set-up. I did, everything was working before I ran the
> wizard
> > (it was the only apparent way I could find to share my connection on the
> > host computer). After I ran the wizard I took the Setup Disk to another
> > computer (as instructed) to run. Why - I don't know. I just did as I was
> > told. Previous fiddling around with my network involved more
> straightforward
> > twiddling with things and not so mysteriously delving into a wizard and
> you
> > don't know what and why things are being changed/whatever.

> > Anyway to make a long story short - the network setup disk on the other
> > computer continually generated an error box. Then when I tried to access
> > resources on other systems in the network they were no longer
accessible -
> > was forbidden off everything even though the workgroup names stayed the
> same
> > (before i was simply promoted for a password).

> > Thank God for System Restore - I had a restore point from just an hour
> > before the fiasco started.

> > Anyone have any input on the flakiness of this whole jive incident? What
> in
> > the world has MS done with networking - what were they thinking? Did
they
> > actually think they were making things straightforward? Why can't you
> simply
> > turn ICS on and why doesn't the setup disk work? Or why can't plainly
> > written instructions be given to just go in and manually set up the
> setting
> > in the other computers? Having setup up several small home
networks...why
> > have I found everything so much simpler when and then?

> > Daniel

XP Networking

Post by D » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 20:37:54

Yes...I used to use Sygate (?) and still have it and it worked great. My
cable rarely goes down so I don't have a backup now for my DSL/Cable router
(Linksys).