xp hangs w/ additional memory

Post by doctor gadge » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:37:09

could be bad memory,
could not be seated properly or a litle dust in the slot,
(remove and use canned air to blow out slot, reinstall.)
same type of memory? (ecc/non-ecc, edo, sdram, speed)
do you have the manual for the mobo? it will usually tell
you what kind of memory to use and how to fill your slots.
bios memory count correct at bootup?
bios setup showing proper amount of ram installed?
did you follow static precautions while installing memory?
power disconnected while installing?
I like to remove the motherboard to install memory, by
giving it support from behind while installing the memory
chips you lessen the possibility of flexing the
motherboard and causing it to crack.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Sounds like a bad memory stick to me

the
>>additional memory. The most recent bios was installed,
>>with no change.  Processor is a pentium II, 300 MHZ,
with
>>an Astoria motherboard.  The system works fine with 256
>>MB.

>>Any ideas?
>>.

>.

xp hangs w/ additional memory

Post by B Nola » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:07:50

I had a lot of errors with XP which pointed to a memory problem. I ran
DocMem to test the RAM (pc2100) and it said there was nothing wrong, BUT...
I then went into the BIOS and disabled 'quick power on self test' and let
the motherboard do a full test on boot-up. It spotted the duff RAM straight
away. Worth giving it a try?

Baz

Quote:> could be bad memory,

Post by Parado » Wed, 01 May 2002 12:42:05

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I recently installed an additional 128 MB memory on top
>of the 256MB, and when xp boots up it freezes shortly
>after the string of dots appears.  DOS does recognize the
>additional memory. The most recent bios was installed,
>with no change.  Processor is a pentium II, 300 MHZ, with
>an Astoria motherboard.  The system works fine with 256
>MB.

>Any ideas?
>.

This is a page file bug left over from Win 2000. Happens
on some motherboards. You need to do an installation
repair from the win xp setup disk.

Backup all critical data then
Run through the XP setup and choose repair.

1. XP freezes after adding additional memory to the Laptop

Hi
 I am not sure if this is a Known issue. I added another
256MB to my existing 256MB, Laptop, from then on its
always freezes. Freezing is not at the same point the
next time. Sometimes it happens when i read a file on the
Word Document or when i browse the internet. But if i
remove the additional memory all seems to be well. I
understand you might think it's the memory problem. But I
replaced with another New Memory with the correct part
number.
Compaq has no clue on why it happens. Please do help
me....
Compaq Presario 715 US
Windows XP Home Edition
256 MB RAM (Added another 256 MB)
Leo

2. Saving from Net

3. Is adding additional memory cause for for having to reactivating Windows XP Home?

4. Help with Power Options and average user login

5. Windows ME hangs installing additional hardware

6. Netscape 2.x stalling

7. Is adding additional memory enough of a hardware change to cause Windows to be reactivated?

8. folder transfer

9. Additional Memory Causing Random Reboot During Intense Video Period

10. Additional memory over 512megs

11. Is additional memory really there??

12. Additional memory made a difference