How to approach/use an application from a client on a network-host (Host= XP home_ed)

How to approach/use an application from a client on a network-host (Host= XP home_ed)

Post by jos » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 17:46:17

Please help me!

Every now and then I want to use my (cable-modem) internet connection
from a different computer in my house.

So I bought/installed a simple wireless home network and succeeded in
sharing my internet connection.

I also can share printers/files from both sides.

Now I wonder if it is possible to approach/use one or two of my
applications on the Host-computer (XP home-edition) from the client.

For instance: I want to consult my encyclopedia, which is installed on
the host, from the other computer.

But if I copy a shortcut from host to client, the shortcut won't fire
up the application.
So this does definitely not the trick.

The information I find on internet, confuses me:

do I need to configure the host as server?

Can that be done with XP-home?

Some people say that you need XP-Pro.

Are there other solutions?

How to approach/use an application from a client on a network-host (Host= XP home_ed)

Post by Mark L. Ferguso » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:13:30

You can run 'conf' on both systems, using their local IP's to call.
It has an app sharing feature. (also chat, voice, video, file send etc)

--

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP Expert Associate
marfer's notes for XP - http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm

..

> Please help me!

> Every now and then I want to use my (cable-modem) internet connection
> from a different computer in my house.

> So I bought/installed a simple wireless home network and succeeded in
> sharing my internet connection.

> I also can share printers/files from both sides.

> Now I wonder if it is possible to approach/use one or two of my
> applications on the Host-computer (XP home-edition) from the client.

> For instance: I want to consult my encyclopedia, which is installed on
> the host, from the other computer.

> But if I copy a shortcut from host to client, the shortcut won't fire
> up the application.
> So this does definitely not the trick.

> The information I find on internet, confuses me:

> do I need to configure the host as server?

> Can that be done with XP-home?

> Some people say that you need XP-Pro.

> Are there other solutions?

How to approach/use an application from a client on a network-host (Host= XP home_ed)

Post by jos » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 00:28:29

Dear mr Ferguson,

What is run "conf"  and how do I do it??

How to approach/use an application from a client on a network-host (Host= XP home_ed)

Post by Marg Bellivea » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 01:29:50

Go to START BUTTON...RUN
In the dialogue box, type 'conf' without the quotes.
This will start the NetMeeting Program...Check in the Help file for
instructions on how to use.
Good Luck..

Quote:> Dear mr Ferguson,