Win XP explorer crashes when opening "my images" folder

Win XP explorer crashes when opening "my images" folder

Post by O.Breithar » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 05:01:04

The Windows XP explorer always crashes when trying to access a
specific image folder in "my images". I have several subfolders in "my
images" and these open without any problem. I already deleted this
specific folder and copied a backup to "my images", but always the
same problem!
There is no problem, when accessing the same files/folders on another
harddisk, or even on the same drive (C:) in another subfolder. It only
happens in "my images"
I found a similar problem description in the microsoft knowledge base,
which was refering to a problem with "KODAK digital camera" software.
I recently installed CANON software for the S45.
Any suggestions?

Win XP explorer crashes when opening "my images" folder

Post by Mark L. Ferguso » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 22:44:47

Go to start/run, type 'control folders'

The filetypes tab is going to show you what app and what icon are assigned
to the extension type in that folder. My guess would be something in the Canon
associations is doing the crash. My Images is a 'shell folder', and the registry entry
for that is probably fighting with some setting made by the Canon install

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

--
Mark L. Ferguson   TabletPC MVP

All email without "QZ" in the subject line will be automatically deleted.
marfer's notes for XP  >  http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm
.

> The Windows XP explorer always crashes when trying to access a
> specific image folder in "my images". I have several subfolders in "my
> images" and these open without any problem. I already deleted this
> specific folder and copied a backup to "my images", but always the
> same problem!
> There is no problem, when accessing the same files/folders on another
> harddisk, or even on the same drive (C:) in another subfolder. It only
> happens in "my images"
> I found a similar problem description in the microsoft knowledge base,
> which was refering to a problem with "KODAK digital camera" software.
> I recently installed CANON software for the S45.
> Any suggestions?

1. Open all folders in "explorer" mode instead of "open" mode.

I would like all opened folders to display the directory tree in the left
column by default. Currently when I open a folder the left column displays a
list of "common tasks" instead of the directory tree seen when using Windows
Explorer. I can display the tree by clicking the "Folders" toolbar button,
but I would prefer to display the explorer-style tree for all windows by
default. Is there a way?

Thanks,

Kerry

2. Matrox Address Wanted

3. windows xp diagnostics

4. Can't open "GIF" and "JPEG" Images in XP

5. Can't access internet via dial-up

6. Change default image file "preview" to "open"?

7. What is Texture memory? PLEASE HELP!

8. Treat other images than "folder.jpg" as an album folder image.

9. xp "crashes" when opening folders or running programs

10. Changing folders displayed with Application "Open" and "Save" commands

11. How to have folder shortcut "open" rather than "explore"?

12. Open Start Menu Folder = "Copy to" and "Move to"