Can't see workgroup and myself in "My Network Places"

Can't see workgroup and myself in "My Network Places"

Post by Victor Marino » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 09:15:05

When I try to access Microsof Windows Network I get the following messsage:
"Unable to browse the network.
 The network is not present or not started"
I've installed all drivers, protocols and so on but I can't still see myself
in the Network Neighbourhood. I even get the network notification icon on
the taskbar but it seems that the problem is not in the network addapter.
For now I'm the only computer in the network but soon I'll add 3 more so I
want to set up this machine before that. I'm running WinXP Pro. Please give
any kind of advise that you can think of!!
Thanks!

Post by Steve Winogra » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 15:35:17

>When I try to access Microsof Windows Network I get the following messsage:
>"Unable to browse the network.
> The network is not present or not started"
>I've installed all drivers, protocols and so on but I can't still see myself
>in the Network Neighbourhood. I even get the network notification icon on
>the taskbar but it seems that the problem is not in the network addapter.
>For now I'm the only computer in the network but soon I'll add 3 more so I
>want to set up this machine before that. I'm running WinXP Pro. Please give
>any kind of advise that you can think of!!
>Thanks!

Is the network card connected to anything, like a hub or switch?  If
it isn't, Windows XP disables the network connection, and I'd expect
network access to fail.

If the card is connected, try re-booting.  That sometimes fixes an
inexplicable, temporary problem.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Sorry, but I don't give technical support by E-mail.
Please post all questions in the news group, and don't
E-mail your reply to me.

Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

Windows XP Professional File Sharing